Wanted: 3-4 Hours Of Singletrack In Auckland

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 23/Feb/11 12:12pm

wanna go for a decent ride in aucks, willing to travel and would like somewhere new (so not riverhead or woodhill)

any suggestions?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Wanted: 3-4 Hours Of Singletrack In Auckland

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 23/Feb/11 12:23pm

Hunua's for a junglist session?
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby bugle on Wed 23/Feb/11 12:24pm

baahahahaahahaahahaaaaaa

soz
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby edoubled on Wed 23/Feb/11 12:39pm

Did nearly 4hrs of riding at Whitford a few weeks back, although that was with a large group so lots of stops.

Alternatively you could head to Hunua and string together the Challenge Track, the valley trails, throw in the old National Downhill track as well and you'd be looking at 3 to 4 hours easy.

Or if you don't mind a bit of road riding you could link up Hunua with Waharau Regional Park. That's more like a full day mission though.
edoubled
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Whoops on Wed 23/Feb/11 1:27pm

Rotorua?

Seriously... you'd be best placed to do 37 laps of One Tree Hill...
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 23/Feb/11 1:35pm

chur edoubled, any maps for whitford? sounds like a bit of me, hit up hunua not long ago and it was sweet, just want somehting different ya know. would prefer the lieks of an epic but that spretty hard to fine in aucks....

like E doubled I'm mad, still knee deep in the systems shit

Whoops wrote:Rotorua?

Seriously... you'd be best placed to do 37 laps of One Tree Hill...

that 2.5 hour dirve is a bit off putting
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby phunk on Wed 23/Feb/11 2:05pm

download-127084-800.jpg

I like Whitford, if you want a guide that has some idea where they are going, let me know.
phunk
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby jimmi on Wed 23/Feb/11 2:09pm

Hey Shmoo. You work in Albany right? You could do a full tour of Eskdale Bush reserve in Glenfield and then the Royal Trails that would be about 3-4 hours easily. That was one of my 4 hour training rides for the Huka Challenge: Leave home (albany) ride to Eskdale, bust out 4 laps, ride to the Royal Trails, do a circuit there and ride home. Cant beat riding in your own backyard!
jimmi
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 23/Feb/11 2:15pm

chur jimmi, riden both of them heaps cool idea but....

could well be keen P-hunk, will converse with my lady and let you know
shmoodiver

Postby edoubled on Wed 23/Feb/11 2:21pm

shmoodiver wrote:chur edoubled, any maps for whitford? sounds like a bit of me, hit up hunua not long ago and it was sweet, just want somehting different ya know. would prefer the lieks of an epic but that spretty hard to fine in aucks....

There's a map in the Whitford Building thread. It's fairly up to date although there's a new uphill track between the end of Charging Pig and the start of El Sandero Lejano that cuts out most of the road.

Closest you'll get to epic is at Hunua. There's some real nice views from the tops if you're willing to put in the climbing to get there (most people stick to the valley loop).

jimmi wrote:You could do a full tour of Eskdale Bush reserve in Glenfield and then the Royal Trails that would be about 3-4 hours easily

Jimmi/Schmoo - I'm looking to run a ride on the Shore as part of Auckland MTB Club's new sunday social rides. Sounds like you know your way around there? PM me if you're keen to lead a ride, or show me around the trails sometime? Cheers
edoubled
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Muscleworx on Wed 23/Feb/11 2:28pm

Why not cruise down to Hamilton on Sunday 27th and do 6 hours of singletrack at the annual Pukete Spaghetti?

Entries are still open for teams and solo riders - www.hamiltonmtb.org.nz
Muscleworx
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby surfbum on Wed 23/Feb/11 2:41pm

hunua,whitford or perhaps maraetai
surfbum
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby surfbum on Wed 23/Feb/11 2:45pm

not sure when you want to do it but i could show you whitford
surfbum
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby jimmi on Wed 23/Feb/11 3:55pm

edoubled wrote:
jimmi wrote:You could do a full tour of Eskdale Bush reserve in Glenfield and then the Royal Trails that would be about 3-4 hours easily

Jimmi/Schmoo - I'm looking to run a ride on the Shore as part of Auckland MTB Club's new sunday social rides. Sounds like you know your way around there? PM me if you're keen to lead a ride, or show me around the trails sometime? Cheers

I think Ive already volunteered to be the guide for the AMTBC Royal Trails ride in April. Eskdale is still a great ride, but a little shorter. I will PM you about setting up a tour over there sometime.
jimmi
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Gravelrash on Thu 24/Feb/11 11:18am

Try the gravel roads around Ahuroa. There is a section of Te araroa track from the top of Moirs hill that is pretty sweet
Gravelrash
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Auckland | Auckland MTB Club | Auckland Region | Clubs | Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Riding | Upper North Island - Latest Posts