What should the city currently called Wanganui be called?

Wanganui
42%
Whanganui
14%
Petre (original European name)
2%
Gonville
2%
Jobbieton
3%
Lawsville
3%
Rokekōrua
8%
The city formerly know as Wanganui
14%
I WANNA HIT MY KIDS
12%

Total voters : 59

Re: Wanganui Name Referendum

Postby Tama on Mon 14/Sep/09 7:41pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote: :ib:

What do you know - you're from Wangarei!
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 14/Sep/09 7:44pm

It's spelt "Fongaray" buddy.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby dented on Mon 14/Sep/09 7:55pm

Actually, and heres a serious question.

I heard that the pronounciation of W(h)anganui, is not changing from "Wong - a - nui" to "Fong - a - nui", but rather, it will still sound very much the same as "Wong - a - nui" but the "W" will be sounded much the same as when you pronounce 'White' correctly. Make sense?

Is that how anyone else understands it?
dented
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Tama on Mon 14/Sep/09 8:00pm

dented wrote:Actually, and heres a serious question.

I heard that the pronounciation of W(h)anganui, is not changing from "Wong - a - nui" to "Fong - a - nui", but rather, it will still sound very much the same as "Wong - a - nui" but the "W" will be sounded much the same as when you pronounce 'White' correctly. Make sense?

I thought it always has been Fong-a-nui? That's how I've always said it :paranoid:

What about Wanker-nui or Whanger-nui? :eh:
Tama

Postby MattV on Mon 14/Sep/09 8:01pm

In some areas Maori folk drop the H anyway
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Mon 14/Sep/09 8:04pm

dented wrote:Actually, and heres a serious question.

I have visions of Queen Elizabeth II saying white, is this how you propose the W be pronounced aye wot old boy?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Thu 17/Sep/09 8:54pm

The mean Geographical Board didn't take any notice of our referendum :(

WHERE IS THE DEMOCRACY :ib:
Tama

Postby fatwombat on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:32pm

What seems to be forgotten is this - the Maoris didn't have a written language, they had a spoken language and poms wrote down what they heard in a way that would make sense to themselves when they read it back later, or so their mates back home could read it and say it the same way. This would have worked in almost any language other than English because most languages have a rigid connection between each letter and the sounds that it can represent. English however has absorbed thousands of words from other languages and then (this is the dumb bit) used the spelling rules from the SOURCE language, instead of changing the spelling to conform to an English pronunciation standard. On top of that problem, Jim Cook was a Yorkshireman so his vowel sounds were completely different from those of his snooty well-bred masters in London.

The end result is - we have a word (Wanganui) which was spelt that way to indicate pronunciation for English people to understand. The fact that they used 'W' and not 'Wh' (which they did use for other places) is a clear indication that they heard a soft 'w' at the time. This entire Wanganui-Whanganui debate is a piece of political grandstanding by a group of extremists, followed by knee-jerk reactions by conservative people who are against any change regardless of whether or not it would right a wrong. It has got to the present situation because nobody has stepped back and looked at the real issues and applied basic principles of research and analysis; and neither side is interested in finding the truth.

PS: the voting list, (1) I grew up in Gonville, it isn't soulless, just incredibly boring. (2) Petre is a classic example of chaotic English orthography - it looks like it should rhyme with 'metre', but it is pronounce 'petrie'. And I suppose when they vote out the present mayor, he will be able to say the town has become lawless?
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:37pm

The thread title needs to be changed now.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:43pm

I gather the local tribe in Whanganui (the town) did not pronounce Whanganui with an "F" sound. Rather they used "w". The river's been Whanganui for ages, which I gather is on account of it being long... I think the name should be changed, but as pointed out, the pronunciation of it won't change... Given how few people can spell to save themselves, I don't see what the big fuss is about...
sifter
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:43pm

Its hard to find a reason to care about any of this
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:51pm

fatwombat wrote:some stuff that has been repeated ad nauseam by everyone who objects to the adding of the H.
Yeah, I doubt anyone ever thought to do research about the whole issue before making their decision. :eh:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Thu 17/Sep/09 10:02pm

sifter wrote:I gather the local tribe in Whanganui (the town) did not pronounce Whanganui with an "F" sound. Rather they used "w". The river's been Whanganui for ages, which I gather is on account of it being long... I think the name should be changed, but as pointed out, the pronunciation of it won't change... Given how few people can spell to save themselves, I don't see what the big fuss is about...

This is all well and good, but 99% of the non spelling public will also now believe that the pronunciation has changed, and we'll end up Fhunganui all over the show.

This would enrage me as much as the "changing of the roundabout laws" arguements... (which never changed, in case I haven't mentioned that enough times already :D )
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 17/Sep/09 10:04pm

Who the shit are the New Zealand Geographic Board anyway? Why do they get to pick places names. Should be up to the townsfolk.

http://www.linz.govt.nz/placenames/abou ... index.aspx

Ok, that answers my question. I note that they can't change street names, that's up to Michael Laws... So if they're really angry they should just change every street in towns name to insults about NZGB.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 17/Sep/09 10:16pm

happybaboon wrote:..Should be up to the townsfolk.

Fuck that. No-ones been letting me name the city I live in so far.
Secondly we shouldn't be letting the inhabitants of W[h/]anganui be making decisions on what breakfast cereal they eat let alone anything else.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Lower North Island | New Zealand | Politics | Regions | Sifting | Wanganui | Wanganui Region - Latest Posts