Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby Joshguy01 on Mon 12/Oct/09 6:44pm

nz_dirtboy wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Did you volunteer to move them?


I payed 60 dollers im sure a club person could of done it


This is the crux of the issue, running an event takes a huge amount of time, there are so many jobs to do and so few people ready to do them. Something competitors don't seem to know is just how much work marshals do for nothing. They get fuck all thanks, plenty of whinging about what they've done wrong, but no bloody offers of help. If you saw that there was a problem why didn't you bring this to the attention of the organisers and offer to deal with it?
Joshguy01
User avatar
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 12/Oct/09 6:46pm

so did the O.P. or nz_dirtboi bring up their concerns about the positioning of the padding with the event organizer at practice or before or even after the race? or did you wait till you got onto teh internets to have a wah about it and get pretty much fuckin nowhere.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 12/Oct/09 6:47pm

nz_dirtboy wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Did you volunteer to move them?


I payed 60 dollers im sure a club person could of done it
That right there folks is a perfect example of a MeWe
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/29523 ... generation

It's why awesome people like Jean, Jamie and all the other race orgnanisers around the country struggle to raise NZ DH past the level it's been at for the last decade.
SlackBoy
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 12/Oct/09 6:54pm

SlackBoy wrote:
nz_dirtboy wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Did you volunteer to move them?


I payed 60 dollers im sure a club person could of done it
That right there folks is a perfect example of a MeWe
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/29523 ... generation

It's why awesome people like Jean, Jamie and all the other race orgnanisers around the country struggle to raise NZ DH past the level it's been at for the last decade.


hit the nail right on the head there slackar
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby Joshguy01 on Mon 12/Oct/09 6:58pm

Couldn't agree more Slacky.
Joshguy01
User avatar
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby j2hyde on Mon 12/Oct/09 6:58pm

Note that nz_dirtboy is likely a kid who is young enough to think that $60 is a lot of money. Probably not a lot of point trolling him.
j2hyde
User avatar
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby klxracer on Mon 12/Oct/09 6:59pm

Spokes wrote:
nz_dirtboy wrote:id agree they did need some padding. they had padding on other trees that weren't even on the line that we were racing why couldn't they have just moved them and also with the 60 + dollers you pay for entry im sure that they can afford a few pads i mean that kid honestly nearly died.


So, how do you go about "almost dying"? Isn't dying kinda black and white in it's simplicity?

On topic though, I can say that having worked on organising races in Australia, it is indeed a thankless task. Lots of gripes, very little thanks. We used to challenge all of the gripers to spend a day in an organisers shoes, and see how much they gripe after that.
klxracer
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:00pm

j2hyde wrote:Note that nz_dirtboy is likely a kid who is young enough to think that $60 is a lot of money. Probably not a lot of point trolling him.
ur moms a troll :p
SlackBoy
User avatar
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby j2hyde on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:01pm

ur mommas so broke people break into her house and leave money :)
j2hyde
User avatar
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby Crucial on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:03pm

shmoodiver wrote:so did the O.P. or nz_dirtboi bring up their concerns about the positioning of the padding with the event organizer at practice or before or even after the race? or did you wait till you got onto teh internets to have a wah about it and get pretty much fuckin nowhere.


Before you drag the thread into even more accusations, I can point out that yes, a number of people pointed out the need for protection on a couple of trees in particular and yes the organisers were very busy trying to do everything at once and couldn't find extra bags.
I was one of the adults that once the accident happened climbed around the old tracks and moved bags to the trees in question. After they were in place at least one other rider hit them.
This isn't and shouldn't be a blame game. Shit happens and we all know the risks.
It is, however important to discuss in a sensible way how the running of events can be improved and that includes safety, and volunteer numbers.
I feel bad that having identified a risk that could be mitigated, I didn't offer to do so myself. My assumption was that it was the organisers call and I wouldn't interfere. Next time I'll make the offer. Live and learn.
Crucial
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:07pm

Crucial wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:so did the O.P. or nz_dirtboi bring up their concerns about the positioning of the padding with the event organizer at practice or before or even after the race? or did you wait till you got onto teh internets to have a wah about it and get pretty much fuckin nowhere.


Before you drag the thread into even more accusations, I can point out that yes, a number of people pointed out the need for protection on a couple of trees in particular and yes the organisers were very busy trying to do everything at once and couldn't find extra bags.
I was one of the adults that once the accident happened climbed around the old tracks and moved bags to the trees in question. After they were in place at least one other rider hit them.
This isn't and shouldn't be a blame game. Shit happens and we all know the risks.
It is, however important to discuss in a sensible way how the running of events can be improved and that includes safety, and volunteer numbers.
I feel bad that having identified a risk that could be mitigated, I didn't offer to do so myself. My assumption was that it was the organisers call and I wouldn't interfere. Next time I'll make the offer. Live and learn.


totally agreed dude, inflammatory thread names like this one and the way it started is hardly the way forward tho is it.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby Joshguy01 on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:09pm

Crucial wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:so did the O.P. or nz_dirtboi bring up their concerns about the positioning of the padding with the event organizer at practice or before or even after the race? or did you wait till you got onto teh internets to have a wah about it and get pretty much fuckin nowhere.


Before you drag the thread into even more accusations, I can point out that yes, a number of people pointed out the need for protection on a couple of trees in particular and yes the organisers were very busy trying to do everything at once and couldn't find extra bags.
I was one of the adults that once the accident happened climbed around the old tracks and moved bags to the trees in question. After they were in place at least one other rider hit them.
This isn't and shouldn't be a blame game. Shit happens and we all know the risks.
It is, however important to discuss in a sensible way how the running of events can be improved and that includes safety, and volunteer numbers.
I feel bad that having identified a risk that could be mitigated, I didn't offer to do so myself. My assumption was that it was the organisers call and I wouldn't interfere. Next time I'll make the offer. Live and learn.


Well put. :thumbsup:
This is much more like the way people like the OP and nz_dirtboy SHOULD be going about this, rather than slagging off the event and the organisers.
Joshguy01
User avatar
"My psychiatrist said I'm special"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby Spokes on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:24pm

nz_dirtboy wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Did you volunteer to move them?


I payed 60 dollers im sure a club person could of done it


What did you do to help today??
Spokes
User avatar
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby RussS on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:40pm

Crucial wrote: Before you drag the thread into even more accusations, I can point out that yes, a number of people pointed out the need for protection on a couple of trees in particular and yes the organisers were very busy trying to do everything at once and couldn't find extra bags.
I was one of the adults that once the accident happened climbed around the old tracks and moved bags to the trees in question. After they were in place at least one other rider hit them.
This isn't and shouldn't be a blame game. Shit happens and we all know the risks.
It is, however important to discuss in a sensible way how the running of events can be improved and that includes safety, and volunteer numbers.
I feel bad that having identified a risk that could be mitigated, I didn't offer to do so myself. My assumption was that it was the organisers call and I wouldn't interfere. Next time I'll make the offer. Live and learn.

Good post Crucial.

Having been a racer, a team entrant and a promoter in the sport of Motocross I have seen all sides. Yes it can be difficult to get an organiser to listen to concerns sometimes, but once the seriousness of a concern is pointed out a good organiser should take appropriate steps. Sometimes those steps may be to call for volunteers to assist with something or another, but the ability to make things happen in a timely matter makes for a more enjoyable event for all.
RussS
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Wanganui Mtb. Shame On You

Postby MattV on Mon 12/Oct/09 7:43pm

RussS wrote:
Crucial wrote: Before you drag the thread into even more accusations, I can point out that yes, a number of people pointed out the need for protection on a couple of trees in particular and yes the organisers were very busy trying to do everything at once and couldn't find extra bags.
I was one of the adults that once the accident happened climbed around the old tracks and moved bags to the trees in question. After they were in place at least one other rider hit them.
This isn't and shouldn't be a blame game. Shit happens and we all know the risks.
It is, however important to discuss in a sensible way how the running of events can be improved and that includes safety, and volunteer numbers.
I feel bad that having identified a risk that could be mitigated, I didn't offer to do so myself. My assumption was that it was the organisers call and I wouldn't interfere. Next time I'll make the offer. Live and learn.

Good post Crucial.

Having been a racer, a team entrant and a promoter in the sport of Motocross I have seen all sides. Yes it can be difficult to get an organiser to listen to concerns sometimes, but once the seriousness of a concern is pointed out a good organiser should take appropriate steps. Sometimes those steps may be to call for volunteers to assist with something or another, but the ability to make things happen in a timely matter makes for a more enjoyable event for all.



:thumbsup:
MattV
User avatar
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wanganui | Wanganui Region - Latest Posts

Who is online

56 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], MSN [Bot], psbot [Picsearch] and 52 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles