Re: Wakamarina And Nydia Dec 30 And 31

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 10/Jul/14 9:01pm

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Sounds great. We we're thinking of basing ourselves at the Trout but talking to Shane @ Blue Moon today changed my mind. He couldn't have been more helpful. Can't wait. :)
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Thu 10/Jul/14 9:05pm

Yeh, based in Havelock is likely to be nicer than based at the Trout. A few options for dinner and drinks etc. Able to shop for snacks and stuff.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Thu 10/Jul/14 9:10pm

And fresh baked goods for trail food :thumbsup:
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Thu 10/Jul/14 9:24pm

and decent coffee!
Trail

Postby DogsBollocks on Sun 13/Jul/14 8:56pm

So which is the bigger day ? Now trying to work out puff factor v consumption v mastication v snore etc ...... Probably thinking the bigger on 1st, have a big look at it then LSD the next day. Thorts ?
DogsBollocks

Postby Trail on Sun 13/Jul/14 9:01pm

Nydia is definitely the bigger day. When fit I have got through the Wakamarina in under 3 hours, but have never done Nydia in under 5... Quite a bit of time driving each day too. Add a couple of hours to the day for the shuttles.
Trail

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 6/Nov/14 10:48am

Hiya Trail,

Some of the team have still got the shit's a bit with the "technical" aspect of Nydia Bay. We were all up @ Craigieburn on the weekend. How does it compare tech wise to the Luge (which is pretty damp/rutted atm) Obviously it's a wee bit longer ........

Cheers
DogsBollocks

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 6/Nov/14 11:47am

Nydia and Luge, i wouldnt say comparable... Luge = 100% rideable, both directions. Nydia? not so much... some of the heights and spacings of the roots are just too perfectly placed to stop you, forcing you to dismount. and some of the rocky drops are too big to roll, and off camber, and when wet are greasy as a greasy thing. At times, it's get off, walk carefully-not-slipping-over down, re-mount ride 3 metres, stop, get off, walk over some unrideable roots, re-mount, ride a bit, get off, repeat adnauseum... OR, try to ride something, make it, w00t!, try to ride something next, make it, w00t!, start to get a bit exhausted cos of all this w00t!ing, try to ride something, fuck it up badly, fall 4 metres down the bank, bike tumbles down on top of you, and your mates (who're walking that bit) all have a good laugh at your bruised shins and cut thighs... :rolleyes: :D

But then, there's some long and beautiful flowy sections too. and we did it a couple weeks back, in the wet, and it was tricky as all get up. it's waaay more techy than the luge. luge is a walk in the park, whereas the nydia, has quite a bit of actual walking... speshly when wet.

the southern half was dryer, and imminently more riding than the northern half...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Sat 8/Nov/14 7:37pm

Yup. What he said.
Trail

Postby Trail on Sun 9/Nov/14 9:01am

The amount of rideable is a bit dependent on a few factors including rider technical skills, how wet the track is, whether you run tacky rubber on your tyres and rider fitness. A word of warning though, it does not matter how dry it has been or how sticky the rubber on your tyres is the green coloured rocks (mossy) on the south side of the passes are skaty as feck!
Trail

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 2/Dec/14 8:04pm

So we been and dun it. Technical it certainly was ! We got a couple of real good days, Nydia was dry as. For me it was a 7 hr Nydia, 6 hr Wakamarina, lunches and stops included. Bloody big weekend. A bit more than most of our tech ability but great to tick them off.

Can't recommend enough Shane and his family/crew at the Blue Moon in Havelock who did the shuttling/cooking of breakfasts/icing of beer/giving of tips etc. He's really well set up there with all the gear, trailers etc. Can even get you diving, hang gliding and kayaking if need be. Really reasonable package rates, clean, tidy and a wealth of knowledge. He rode with us on the Saturday. There were 28 bikes at the top of the Waka at 10.00am on Saturday, a great sight.

Get up there and do it. Fanny bloody tastic. Just don't underestimate how technical it really is up there. Fun if you're into that but could be nightmare stuff otherwise. Some of our group were through Nydia in under 6hrs, others well over 7. If wet it could be an easy 10 :crazy:
DogsBollocks

Cycling | Marlborough | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Riding | Upper South Island - Latest Posts