Postby inzane on Mon 15/Jan/07 5:52pm

I post some photos soon... good ride!! Nydia was damn fine the next day too. Had too much fun riding Nydia and almost forgot to take photos on that one!!
IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1405.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1440.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby inzane on Wed 17/Jan/07 7:18am

and the two photos I took on the way through Nydia...
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
inzane

Postby way_downsouth on Wed 17/Jan/07 7:21am

That looks awesome, said while wiping a tear from my eye!
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 17/Jan/07 8:12am

Those photos look awesome.

It really is a crime I haven't ridden either of those tracks.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby way_downsouth on Wed 17/Jan/07 8:15am

Nick_K wrote: Those photos look awesome.

Yes it is and I am also guilty, time to look for free weekends when I get back!
way_downsouth
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 17/Jan/07 8:57am

way_downsouth wrote:
Nick_K wrote: Those photos look awesome.

Yes it is and I am also guilty, time to look for free weekends when I get back!

I don't think we can even call ourslves real mountainbikers now. The shame. :(
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Butch on Wed 17/Jan/07 10:09am

stupid work. ruining all my biking time grumble grumble..
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby inzane on Wed 17/Jan/07 5:21pm

:) go ride these trails... much much fun!!
inzane

Re: Wakamarina And Nydia Dec 30 And 31

Postby DogsBollocks on Sun 18/May/14 9:04pm

Hiya. Here's a bit of a dredge.

I've heard, or seen, somewhere that the Trout runs a shuttle type service for these tracks. Is anyone got any info on this or know where to find it ? Just about to make some decisions on our pre Xmas tour and this sounded like it could be fun, with the added bonus of riding towards a pub each day :)

Any info or pointers much appreciated.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Mon 19/May/14 7:59am

I think it is the backpackers in Havelock that runs the shuttle? Blue Moon or something? I am sure if you gave them a ring they would know as they organise a bunch of that sort of thing for the backpackers.

Both are very fun tracks, but do need some technical skills to enjoy. Neither of these tracks were built as mtb tracks and so get quite challenging in places
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Iseneye on Mon 19/May/14 10:04am

Helibike Nelson do shuttle trips in either a van or helicopter of the Wakamarina.

http://www.helibikenelson.co.nz/
Iseneye
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 10/Jul/14 8:11pm

Hiya,

Yup, been in touch with Shane @ the Blue Moon who was most helpful. It seems they've just upgraded their trailers/racks so can shuttle a few more than previous. Good bugger, good info. We're gonna do both tracks over one weekend but one of the lads looked it up on NZ by Bike and that said Nydia Bay was over a 100K :crazy: Is this correct ? Can anyone give us some reliable info on k's/hrs for these two tracks. Again, for comparison, we're all 3.15, 3.45 for the Motatapu if that helps.

Cheers
DogsBollocks

Postby Trail on Thu 10/Jul/14 8:20pm

motatapu does not at all compare to riding Nydia. Nydia is technical trail riding... I have got through there in about 6 hours most times I have done it, but then I always choose to ride it with people I know are technically competent (and usually rather fit) riders. I have met people in there have 9 or 10 hour epics and hating it... but they were usually tourists on hire bikes, while we were having a ball and loving it...

It is about 30km of singletrack. You might get to 100km if you rode the whole loop (70km of road...) but if you have a shuttle to the start and end then it is much more fun!

Here is a good run down of the track for you along with an altitude map etc at the end. http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... oxing-day/
Trail

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 10/Jul/14 8:40pm

Trail wrote:motatapu does not at all compare to riding Nydia. Nydia is technical trail riding... I have got through there in about 6 hours most times I have done it, but then I always choose to ride it with people I know are technically competent (and usually rather fit) riders. I have met people in there have 9 or 10 hour epics and hating it... but they were usually tourists on hire bikes, while we were having a ball and loving it...

It is about 30km of singletrack. You might get to 100km if you rode the whole loop (70km of road...) but if you have a shuttle to the start and end then it is much more fun!

Here is a good run down of the track for you along with an altitude map etc at the end. http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... oxing-day/

Understood about the difference in terrain, just mentioned it for comparison. We did the QCT Ships Cove-portage/portage -picton last year no issues, but just don't want to scare any of the boy's off this one! 30 K of single track sounds a bit shorter than Ships-portage but probably more technical so about the same sort of day puff wise ?
DogsBollocks

Postby Trail on Thu 10/Jul/14 8:51pm

Yeh sure. Sounds like you guys have the fitness/stamina to get through fine. If the skills are not quite there it is not that much slower to walk the few really technical bits (there are plenty of pretty smooth flowing singletrack bits). It is a lovely piece of the country and a nice journey over 3 passes and some lovely Marlborough Sounds bays.

Might be about the same amount of puff as Ships to Portage, but it will be much more of a full body workout? Thing is that when you get tired on techy tracks it gets a bit harder. Take plenty of food, allow plenty of time for stops etc and you should be fine. :)
Trail

Cycling | Marlborough | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Riding | Upper South Island - Latest Posts