Waitomo Rides

Postby scampr on Fri 17/Jul/09 10:56am

Hey, The Waitomo info centre told me there is a track off Ngatapuwae Road in Waitomo. Anyone know anything about this ride? If its public, how long, etc. thx :)
scampr
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Waitomo Rides

Postby nagem on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:04am

I don't know. But I would be keen to ride it. Not too fah from home.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby nagem on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:06am

nagem

Postby nagem on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:07am

An out-and-back ride of 10-20km (depending on ability) with the opportunity of a 45 km loop for
fit riders. The route will follow a ridge north of Waitomo and go along benched tracks that
were the original road access to the Honikiwi District. Some sections can be dusty when dry
and slippery when wet. Please bring spares, lunch, drink and snacks. Drinks will be available
en route.
BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL. Meet at Ngatapuwae Road, Waitomo at 10.00am. Route will be signposted
from there. (Travel through Waitomo Village towards Te Anga. Ngatapuwae Rd on
right at top of hill)
nagem

Postby nagem on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:09am

that didnt work .... Ngatapuwae rd, waitomo caves on google maps

these dotted lines could be it but I can't see a loop.
nagem

Postby scampr on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:23am

Thanks Nagem, The information centre seemed to think that it comes out on Honikiwi Road but weren't too sure.
scampr

Postby KieranC on Fri 17/Jul/09 11:41am

there are a bunch of 6ft tracks, old logging tracks(from native not exotic forestry), goat/bridal tracks. we've cleared a few overgrown 6ft tracks that run parallel to logging tracks, this creates an effective loop that is about 12km long from the road end. Alot of it is in the Waitomo State forest and on road reserve/paper roads. the track crosses privately owned bush in a couple of places, the land owners are happy(by verbal agreement only) for their properties to be crossed by recreational users, so please be respectful, don't litter, say hello to anyone you meet up there etc.

there is no signage up there at all, we are working on it....

there is about 30km of tracks, but they mainly finish at farms or gravel roads, so you end up riding the tracks in both directions.

i'll get a map up in a few minutes, and possibly a few links to other posts on vorb
KieranC
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby KieranC on Fri 17/Jul/09 12:17pm

the map
untitled.JPG
the map
KieranC

Postby scampr on Fri 17/Jul/09 12:28pm

Awesome, thanks so much :-)
scampr

Postby otomtb on Mon 3/Jan/11 8:39am

Hi there does anyone know if these trails are still good??? Is there any signs up???? Cheers for any help...
otomtb
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby KieranC on Tue 4/Jan/11 8:47am

yeah, things are getting pretty over grown in most places except on the tracks between ngatapuae and teraumaku.

a few locals are thinking of going up with a tractor or bulldoozer and sorting out a few sections. this might not happen in the imediate future though.

we are working on a few drafts for signage with doc at the moment, hopefully there will be some up by mid this year.

the map above is still pretty valid, so if you take it as a rough guide and follow your nose you should beable to find a few tracks. or you can come along on a ride with me some time to get shown them
KieranC

Postby otomtb on Wed 5/Jan/11 10:01pm

Thanks Kieran.
I went for a ride yesterday from Ngatapuae to Te Raumaku then back to Otorohanga good ride looks like someone has been up there over the last couple of days cutting brush from the sides of the track.
Id be very keen to be shown round if you have the time.
Cheers Daryl.
otomtb

Postby D2 on Wed 5/Jan/11 10:08pm

Thanks for the PM Kieran. Have passed your number on to daughter. She is also very keen to catch up and have a ride out there. Cheers.
D2
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby KieranC on Thu 6/Jan/11 8:08am

otomtb wrote:Thanks Kieran.
I went for a ride yesterday from Ngatapuae to Te Raumaku then back to Otorohanga good ride looks like someone has been up there over the last couple of days cutting brush from the sides of the track.
Id be very keen to be shown round if you have the time.
Cheers Daryl.

Choice, that down hill to teraumaku road is wicked once you figure out the lines. we've been having a couple of bashes at it with the scub bar and slashers, slow progress though. thats all good, i'm only partly employed at the moment so tend to be able to get time off when ever suits, 078787621

cheers kieran
KieranC

Postby otomtb on Thu 6/Jan/11 9:43pm

It was an awesum downhill.
otomtb

Clubs | Middle North Island | New Zealand | Regions | WAMO MTB Club - Latest Posts