Re: Waitakere Ranges Access

Postby PhilterNZ on Tue 10/Feb/09 8:52pm

well one good thing you could say about the tree hugging, i have found the Aucklander in my recycle bin :)

will scan tomorrow and post - if i can work out how to attach PDF's,....

the one thing I have found about the waitak's is the riding is just too hard... I suck at DH so the steep narly stuff is not for me, and the climbs are pretty tough as well. so while i belive we should have access, there is bugger all places I could ride anyway.

I would like the opportunity to build some tracks though.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Spokes on Tue 10/Feb/09 8:57pm

Oh, there are some nice trails up there. Just got to know where to look.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Giantman on Tue 10/Feb/09 10:27pm

like spokes just said there is somevery nice tracks, and the waitaks isnt all steep knarly country, and its also how you design and build tracks
Giantman
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Deeboy on Tue 10/Feb/09 10:32pm

PhilterNZ wrote:well one good thing you could say about the tree hugging, i have found the Aucklander in my recycle bin :)

will scan tomorrow and post - if i can work out how to attach PDF's,....

the one thing I have found about the waitak's is the riding is just too hard... I suck at DH so the steep narly stuff is not for me, and the climbs are pretty tough as well. so while i belive we should have access, there is bugger all places I could ride anyway.

I would like the opportunity to build some tracks though.

Brother, please e-mail me the PDFs if you can.

Cheers D
Deeboy
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Wed 11/Feb/09 8:33am

Here is a PDF of the article.

Deon I assume you can download it from Vorb, if not PM me your email address and I will send it through.
Waitakere access001.pdf
Downloaded 98 times
PhilterNZ
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Deeboy on Wed 11/Feb/09 9:22am

Wow that was short & brief...The issue is so massive that i guess we could never get a complete picture in.

Interesting that the filming & canyoning people kept quiet. I guess that to them income is on the line. Where from our point of view, we have nothing to lose, as we have nothing to start with. And if Sandra is still there, we will have nothing going forward, for years to come.

Sandra has the same old broken record, conflict with other users.....The only issue here is grumpy old walkers.... Kauri Rot, we are the problem & not the walkers?.... Not a sutiable enviroment. Yes it can be, if done correctly.

The one comment she does put forth that is good, is that the "well-being of the ranges comes before business & personal pleasure". YES i think we as mountain bikers agree, but the swinging gates are so one sided for walkers it is not funny... :angry:

Not sure if we got across what was needed, but we got a view across. I am ready for my flaming now.
Deeboy

Postby Spokes on Wed 11/Feb/09 9:23am

Thanks for that Philter. :)

Wow she's a muppet. If they opened a MTB park with good trails, it would pay for the upkeep of the rest of the ranges.

And the BS about Kauri rot, do they make trampers clean there boots every time they go in?

You dont need a flaming Deeboy, your right.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"

Postby Deeboy on Wed 11/Feb/09 9:41am

Spokes wrote:Thanks for that Philter. :)

Wow she's a muppet. If they opened a MTB park with good trails, it would pay for the upkeep of the rest of the ranges.

And the BS about Kauri rot, do they make trampers clean there boots every time they go in?

You dont need a flaming Deeboy, your right.

That is a good point about a park, paying for it own way, plus raising funds for other parts of the park.
I have done work for ARC & the people there are so wonderful & do so much for us, as a city. The Politians at the front are not a representative of what is behind.

But sometimes I do think the vision is so narrow, all they was to do is say "KEEP OUT, KEEP OUT" rather than find a solution. And if it was a issue to protect, they should put a wall around it & keep every one out.
Deeboy

Postby Spokes on Wed 11/Feb/09 9:47am

If this is such an issue for them why dont they charge trampers to walk there? They say they dont have the money to maintain tracks, this would solve it.
Spokes

Postby rocketscience on Wed 11/Feb/09 12:37pm

Having in-laws who own property at Piha, I often take my bike out when we stay a wknd and have ridden a couple of tracks up from Piha. I'm constantly amazed that such a huge area is off-limits to cyclists when so much has been made available to other users - and their dogs. But I would also say that mtnbikers in general get a bad rap because a few display anti-social, male bravado behaviour that can be very alienating to the public. And I can understand the fear there is of mtnbikers careering down a walking path into oncoming walkers. Obviously there needs to be bike specific tracks that are well signposted to avoid confusion. But can the ARC trust that, if mtnbikers are given the green light, that all cyclists will show respect for the rules and the privilege of riding in such a great area.
I have no doubt that community groups would put many volunteer hours into creating an excellent riding track, but how would we manage the issue of those who choose to disregard the rules? The fact is that the mtnbike community needs to establish more trust when advocating for access. Some of the comments made in this thread, particularly aimed at Sandra Coney, suggest there's a long way to go before that trust will be granted.
If you want to push for change I recommend writing to Ms Coney and others at the ARC to state your case for mtnbike access, but WITHOUT the threatening tone or demands that it's your right. Tell them what mtnbiking means to you, what excites you, how it benefits the community, and MAYBE they will be swayed by some persuasive, objective argument.
rocketscience
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Deeboy on Wed 11/Feb/09 1:54pm

I agree with you Rocket, but while Sandra is in there there will be NEVER, yes NEVER, any opportunity for mountain bikers to ride in the Waitaks.

I am sure there have been many individuals & clubs pressing for access for years untold, with calm words & hard facts to no avail.

But we will continue to try :rolleyes:
Deeboy

Postby Spokes on Wed 11/Feb/09 2:10pm

rocketscience wrote:Having in-laws who own property at Piha, I often take my bike out when we stay a wknd and have ridden a couple of tracks up from Piha. I'm constantly amazed that such a huge area is off-limits to cyclists when so much has been made available to other users - and their dogs. But I would also say that mtnbikers in general get a bad rap because a few display anti-social, male bravado behaviour that can be very alienating to the public. And I can understand the fear there is of mtnbikers careering down a walking path into oncoming walkers. Obviously there needs to be bike specific tracks that are well signposted to avoid confusion. But can the ARC trust that, if mtnbikers are given the green light, that all cyclists will show respect for the rules and the privilege of riding in such a great area.
I have no doubt that community groups would put many volunteer hours into creating an excellent riding track, but how would we manage the issue of those who choose to disregard the rules? The fact is that the mtnbike community needs to establish more trust when advocating for access. Some of the comments made in this thread, particularly aimed at Sandra Coney, suggest there's a long way to go before that trust will be granted.
If you want to push for change I recommend writing to Ms Coney and others at the ARC to state your case for mtnbike access, but WITHOUT the threatening tone or demands that it's your right. Tell them what mtnbiking means to you, what excites you, how it benefits the community, and MAYBE they will be swayed by some persuasive, objective argument.

Being nice hardly ever works. As it has not yet.
Spokes

Postby rocketscience on Thu 12/Feb/09 11:43am

I'm not talking about being "nice". I'm talking about actions that could be taken, personal participation minus the angry rhetoric. How many of the readers in this post who would like to ride legally in the Waitaks have actually done anything about it? Perhaps with enough riders voicing their support for it there might be some movement on the part of the ARC. It's not just up to a club to advocate for it.
As Winston Churchill once famously remarked "Never, never, never, never , never give up. Just because Sandra Coney is against it doesn't mean it can't happen. If no-one tried because someone said no we wouldn't have voting for women, african american presidents, democratic governance in India, the end of apartheid in Sth Africa etc etc etc. the current policy on cycling in the Waitakeres is a trivial barrier compared.

You can contact Sandra Coney at the following email -
s_coney@xtra.co.nz

or email any of the ARC councillors shown on this ARC website page -
http://www.arc.govt.nz/albany/index.cfm ... 0DE76C7858

If Rangitoto and Motutapu can be opened for a mtb/running race then that would suggest that there is a level of understanding within the organisation.

I suggest bombarding them with requests, backed by good reasoning why it could be sustainable environmentally. If you are a ratepayer then it's your right to have a say. The members of ARC are here to serve the people, not the other way round.
rocketscience
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Spokes on Thu 12/Feb/09 11:47am

There used to be regular MTB rides on Motutapu. :(
Last edited by Spokes on Thu 12/Feb/09 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spokes

Postby briiii on Thu 12/Feb/09 11:59am

Perhaps someone could write a good diplomatic email to send to Sandra Coney or anyone else that could affect a change outlining the things being said here... that it can be done and could pay for itself and that there are many willing to help it happen.

Then it could be posted here and each person who agrees with the email and wants to help could send it to her from their own email address. Almost like a petition but harder for her to ignore.
briiii
"I'm a bikesexual"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Auckland Region | Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions | Upper North Island | Waitakere City - Latest Posts