Wainuiomata Trail Project...

Postby tryfan on Mon 4/Sep/06 5:07pm

Check out http://blog.wtp.org.nz for breaking news of what we have been up to and a link to a decent little trail map of our humble little mtb park.

We dig pretty much every saturday and thursday nights - check newest posts in this thread for details and come and join us.

Still confused? - email me on [url=mailto:tryfanarts@yahoo.com]tryfanarts@yahoo.com[/url] or call for a natter on 021 29 24 880

Thanks

About the Project
HELP - Workers wanted.

Basically there is some trail work happening in Wainuiomata that is leading to the development of a full Mountain Bike Park. The work is taking place at the end of Waiu Street.

This project has nothing to do with the threads I have been reading regarding the development of a new downhill resource in the Orongorongas down the Wainuiomata coast road.

What started with surveying, clearing and digging with an army of kids from the school MTB Club has progressed rapidly, with funding and support from the Hutt City Council and local businesses. Thanks to HCC, VIC Cycles and Ground Effect, among others.

Working parties
Working parties are planned for 9-1 most Saturday mornings. In Summer there are often dig evenings on Thursday nights, for those who are super keen or cannot make Saturday digs.

Tools are supplied, but bring along gloves and a drink. Morning tea and/or supper are supplied.

Trail info - Refer to http://blog.wtp.org.nz for map.
Work has been completed on a few trails so far, including;
Bee-line - A downhill trail starting at the top of the Wainuiomata Hill.
Jungle Gym - An easy, Koru-style uphill/decent type trail starting at the proposed skills area and heading up to the top of the Wainuiomata Hill.
Labyrinth - A link trail from the top of Junglegym, following the gravel road north. This will gradually be extended and lengthened as time, resources and permission allows.
Spoon Hill Bypass - Currently in progress, an alternative trail to the top of Spoon Hill. Put in for variety and to help preserve the difficult and poor condition top section of trail.

Other trails locally
Spoon Hill - A natural and fun downhill trail.
Mount Lowry - Technical Trail beginning on the South side of the road, beginning at the top of the Wainuiomata Hill.

All the trails are amongst lush native bush.

If you live close by in the Hutt or anywhere in the Wellington Region and want to help develop a weekend riding venue 30 minutes from Welly, email me at [url=mailto:Tryfanarts@yahoo.com]Tryfanarts@yahoo.com[/url] for details

Thanks for your time and maybe see you soon -

Tryfan Ephraim
(Teacher in charge of Wainuiomata High School MTB Club, Parkway road, Wainuiomata)
tryfan
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby rackerrack on Mon 4/Sep/06 5:59pm

Where abouts in Wainui are these tracks going in?
rackerrack
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Grumpyoldman on Mon 4/Sep/06 6:33pm

:0 Definately interested.

Have you considered the possibility of Sunday digging or evening digging once daylight saving starts? I work nearby but live some distance away and Saturday morning is most likely to conflict with the kids activities.

And as rackerrack said, whereabouts are teh track going to be?
Grumpyoldman
"Hood Ornament"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby hickie on Mon 4/Sep/06 6:40pm

I'd second evening work parties over summer, but not Wednesday because of the organised rides that happen :)

Also talk to the Hutt Valley MTB club, I'm sure they would been keen to ofter assistance.
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby tryfan on Mon 4/Sep/06 11:03pm

Thanks for replys..

Hmmm Evenings... will consider that, could work out

In the mean time email me on the email given if you are keen and I will arrange a meeting point for this Saturdays digging.

Track location - lets just say that its up above Parkway and connecting throught to Waiwhetu in the Hutt in time if Hutt council can convince the right people..

Could be a real big project, fingers crossed.

Spread the word to those who dig...

T.
tryfan

Postby VERT on Mon 4/Sep/06 11:18pm

Will have to see if I can get out there to give you guys a hand at some stage
VERT
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby hickie on Sun 24/Sep/06 1:44pm

Hey,

I was up there today, came down the track from the third pylon up from the top of the Wainui hill road and went for a hunt for the track but couldn't find it?

I did however come across a rough cut track at the second pylon. Is the top of your track?

I was also thinking if you wanted a quick result on the Hutt side of the the hill you could look at finishing of the track that goes up beside the road. Most of it is already well away from the road, with only a few missing sections where you revert back to the gravel beside the road.

edit: Also saw you story in the Hutt news :)
hickie

Postby NightKid on Sun 24/Sep/06 1:47pm

YFY! Damn, I want to be back in welly right now.
Wainui is a good place for trail-building; lots of bush and shrubbery, and good topography!
Also means that it might be possible to access some of the trails via the hutt fire-roads.
If this project is on during the summer I will be very very keen to give you guys a hand.
All the best with it.
NightKid
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby tryfan on Mon 2/Oct/06 11:17pm

Wednesday night trail work in Wainuiomata..

If you share the belief that single track amongst fine native bush is to bikers what powder is to skiers then join us comrades!!

Come and help the birthing of a flowy new 2 way trail in Wainuiomata.

Meet at Life City Church in Parkway at 5pm this Wednesday and bring a pick, gloves and some water.

If you are late…

Simply walk up the right side of the hill road to the large white WAINUIOMATA lettering at the back of a small grassy clearing. Find the start of the trail there and walk uphill…

When you get to the grassy clearing that was once the old road - walk uphill and look for the second section of track that start at the top of the clearing on the right before the chain.

Bring some old shoes with a grippy tread as there is no grit on the track yet!

We will be working along that section - come and see what bored kids get up to in the school holidays!!

(This wednesday may be a one off then move to a regular Tuesday night slot to fit in better with organised HVMBC rides..)

Also looking in to Sunday digging as well – more news as it happens..
tryfan

Postby hickie on Tue 3/Oct/06 9:48am

I will try to be there, probably some time just after 6pm. I don't have a pick so what other tools are appropriate?

Also coming from the Hutt side would it be quicker to park at the top and come down?
hickie

Postby bugle on Tue 3/Oct/06 10:43am

You are aware that a good chunk of Welli's digging talent is at Long Gully at that time...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby SlackBoy on Tue 3/Oct/06 10:46am

bugle wrote: You are aware that a good chunk of Welli's digging talent is at Long Gully at that time...
good chunk of the welli DH diggers you mean Bungle
SlackBoy
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby tryfan on Tue 3/Oct/06 11:24am

from the top of the hill walk down to second old road section on the left, the one with chain at the top, turn right on to single track just by the chain.

i will take a spare pick up for you mate.
tryfan

Postby tryfan on Tue 3/Oct/06 11:27am

Oh and "turn right on to single track just by the chain."

actually means turn LEFT on to single track just by the chain!!!

duhhh!!
tryfan

Postby bugle on Tue 3/Oct/06 11:39am

SlackBoy wrote:
bugle wrote: You are aware that a good chunk of Welli's digging talent is at Long Gully at that time...
good chunk of the welli DH diggers you mean Bungle

You of all people know how many XC diggers there are...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts