Re: Wainuiomata Trail Project...

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 18/Jun/16 1:26pm

Nice one, options is good.
Any idea on total time for those loops? I can have a guess at how much to add to account for first time + faff factor.

Cheers.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Tugboat on Sat 18/Jun/16 5:55pm

Conners wrote:
The new downhill from the hub at top of labyrinth/start of 491 is pretty cool - although it's virtually brand new and will be pretty soft/wet still. 491/Spoon is amazingly dry considering the recent rain though - ride it twice on Thursday and it was mint.

Jungles/Labyrinth is the only way up (directa feeds only jungles halfway up), so have a look at the map with that in mind when you get there. You really can't go wrong with how the trails link together now.

I rode the new downhill today a few times. It's pretty minta! Just a couple of greasy spots in a couple of the corners but mostly in pretty great condition for such a new track.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Tugboat on Sat 18/Jun/16 5:57pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Nice one, options is good.
Any idea on total time for those loops? I can have a guess at how much to add to account for first time + faff factor.

Cheers.

Have a squiz at my Strava file from today for an idea of (very relaxed pace) times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/612407844
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Sat 18/Jun/16 6:19pm

Without getting too stava accurate I'd guess about an hour for the shorter option and an hour and a half for the longer?
If you have a bit longer, the new downhill is pretty cool as Tugboat mentioned.

My rule of thumb for 'do I have enough time for another lap' is that a lap from the car park to the top and back down either 491/Spoon or new Labyrinth/Snails is about 25 mins, 20 mins up and 5 back down.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 18/Jun/16 10:31pm

Cheers guys, good info.
My northern buddy is feeling squeezed for time, and making noises about going to Makara Peak instead (as a known quantity) but I'll keep it in mind for next time I get out there.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby fatesjester on Wed 19/Apr/17 9:43pm

Hey folks, I've recently gotten into this whole thing and have been out a few times by myself running the wetland loop to get into the swing of things.

I feel like I would benefit a lot from learning from someone else since I am struggling with somethings, namely carrying enough speed over the ground to maintain balance in tighter or slippery spots.

Would anyone be able to go out for a ride with me and offer some advice on my riding and my set up as well?

Cheers
fatesjester
Member for: 1 year 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 19/Apr/17 10:08pm

Is there a local club, or group ride out that way? Not my hood, sorry.

Welcome to Vorb.
Velocipedestrian

Postby fatesjester on Wed 19/Apr/17 10:35pm

Seems like there is a wellington club but they specifically say they are competitively downhill focused so doesnt seem very beginner friendly. I havent come across anything specifically for waiu park yet though.

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here!
fatesjester
Member for: 1 year 3 months

Nathan007
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts