Re: Wainuiomata Trail Project...

Postby siggy on Sun 13/Jun/10 9:09pm

Hickie, thanks; the reasons you give let me understand why it's not happened already :)
Look forward to the access improving for the next summer year. I've not looked for it, but if there isn't already, the council should also put some signs from Wainuiomata Road and from Waiu Road advertising the bike park, like is found when approaching Makara Peak...
siggy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby hickie on Mon 14/Jun/10 12:46pm

Signage is also under way for both the 2 entry points for the park and for the individual tracks but again I'm no too sure on the timing for each to be completed, but it should be soon now.
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby siggy on Tue 15/Jun/10 7:26pm

That's great :)
siggy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby hickie on Sun 14/Aug/11 3:50pm

Well that's one more trail finished off - TT is now all the way through!
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby _nemac on Sun 1/Apr/12 1:30pm

I've been out the game for a couple of years. Getting back into it @ the WTP. Seems a lot has changed judging from this map http://www.wtp.org.nz/WTP_Map.pdf but I can't find any info on Freewheel or Towai Traverse. Are these tracks complete and where do they start? What's the latest update?

Thumbs up to everyone putting in work up there!
_nemac
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Sun 1/Apr/12 2:46pm

As far as i know Freewheel hasn't actually started to be built yet and Towai is completefrom end to end and is a two way track. It starts at the top end of Labyrinth. When you reach the end turn right onto the ridge and after about 5ish metres there's a left turn that goes downhill to start with.... Great fun!
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby SleeperService on Sun 19/Aug/12 6:35pm

Pre-rode PNP spring series race 1 course this arvo - liked the improvements on (top half of) TT - nice work! Unfortunately I left my Camelback down by the wash station at the carpark. If anyone happened to pick it up I'd love to hear from you 021 624 024.

Chrs
SleeperService
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby RugbySucks on Tue 21/Aug/12 5:19pm

mudlover/hater wrote:As far as i know Freewheel hasn't actually started to be built yet and Towai is completefrom end to end and is a two way track. It starts at the top end of Labyrinth. When you reach the end turn right onto the ridge and after about 5ish metres there's a left turn that goes downhill to start with.... Great fun!

Towai is half completed from the ECNZ firebreak. I thought it was finished too.

Definitely not. Its a wheel-sucking mess from halfway point to spoon hill. took a friend from out of town there. Telling him how good the place was. Came away a bit disappointed. Scratching my head a bit when I here about Freewheel progress.

How come Toway Traverse is not finished first ?? It could be a great ride.
RugbySucks
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 21/Aug/12 5:43pm

SleeperService wrote:Pre-rode PNP spring series race 1 course this arvo - liked the improvements on (top half of) TT - nice work! Unfortunately I left my Camelback down by the wash station at the carpark. If anyone happened to pick it up I'd love to hear from you 021 624 024.

Chrs

For the PNP race, riders will duck out of TT half way along to avoid the muck and save carving it up even more
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Tue 21/Aug/12 6:09pm

No no no... Towai Traverse (if you're prepared for a slop-fest) is a blast and a challenge like fewer other tracks in the city....

I love it. You just have budget time after the ride for a bloody good hose off and re-lube....

Get amongst it people! :thumbsup:
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 21/Aug/12 6:18pm

Towai Traverse in its current state is a challenge to clean which I like. I've managed to get it clean-ish (wee dab here and there) all but the big up and over the big tree root about 1/2way through. Was chuffed to clean the two steep switchbacks in the climbing direction last time I was out there despite the mud, gogo 2.4 nobby nic...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 21/Aug/12 6:21pm

Yeah agree it's an awesome track to ride, it's more about looking after the trail for the PNP race.
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby TiHT on Tue 21/Aug/12 6:25pm

mudlover/hater wrote:No no no... Towai Traverse (if you're prepared for a slop-fest) is a blast and a challenge like fewer other tracks in the city....

This is good IMO

Last winter it got sloppy

Over summer TT got attention, and the top was gravelled to be...well so different that it could have a name different to TT

I hope the tweaking /rock fill / armouring that has occurred in places on the lower reaches can be continued to maintain TT''s special (and appreciated) nature

RugbySucks wrote:How come Toway Traverse is not finished first ?? It could be a great ride.

Not enough people helping :ib:

Turn up to organised digs.

Or just interrupted your ride to find rock in the bush to fill some of those sloppy bits.
TiHT
"cycle of life"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 18/Jun/16 12:41pm

Got a mate coming down from Taupo to ride tomorrow. It's been years since I rode WTP so need some advice.

What's the most fun way to get around the park while including Spoonhill, Beeline and 491?
Limited time (and legs)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Sat 18/Jun/16 1:19pm

If you're really tight for time, Personally I'd go (from car park)
Up jungle scout/jungle gym
Down beeline
Start of wetland loop to directa- head up there.
Up jungles + labyrinth
Down 491+spoon.
Done

If you have a wee bit more time I would recommend:
Up jungles + labyrinth
Either across Towai traverse and then back to freewheel
Or - straight up 4wd to freewheel (6 mins vs say 12-15 across Towai)
Ride full length of freewheel - just keep going and don't take any of the turn offs. It ends at the start of labyrinth.
Ride up labyrinth again
Down 491+spoon.
Up wetland loop/directa/Jungles again.
Down beeline.
Done.

ThIs option would probably add about 30 (ish) mins?

The new downhill from the hub at top of labyrinth/start of 491 is pretty cool - although it's virtually brand new and will be pretty soft/wet still. 491/Spoon is amazingly dry considering the recent rain though - ride it twice on Thursday and it was mint.

Jungles/Labyrinth is the only way up (directa feeds only jungles halfway up), so have a look at the map with that in mind when you get there. You really can't go wrong with how the trails link together now.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts