Re: Wainuiomata Trail Project...

Postby pinkmaggit on Fri 17/Jul/09 4:47pm

I rode spoon hill on Wednesday. There was a dodgy soft jump on the left hand side just before you go into the chute and a bermy corner blocking off the chute a bit. Have these been removed?
pinkmaggit
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby hickie on Fri 17/Jul/09 5:26pm

That jump and berm haven't been touched at this stage. Tryfan assured be the jump was ok and the berm didn't need to be removed. I'm not a suitable judge of jumps as I prefer my wheels to stay on the ground wherever possible.

I may consider putting a drainage nick in the berm in line with the jump as this won't affect the use of the berm for taking the alternate line from the chute. I just haven't done this yet as I want to evaluate any effect the drainage will have on the chute as the chute seems to drain ok and has never developed a significant rut...

By the way, anyone who wants a good workout can feel free to carry rock up the hill. The problem is that at this time of year there is no safe way for us to get a power barrow of rock up the hill.
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby pinkmaggit on Fri 17/Jul/09 5:44pm

Neil, where is the rock been taken from? and where is it going to?
Also, do you have a chainsaw license?
pinkmaggit
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby hickie on Fri 17/Jul/09 6:12pm

Rock was brought in from a Quarry thanks to HCC, see PM for rest :)
hickie

Postby hickie on Sat 1/Aug/09 1:27pm

I'm going to head up spoonhill to do a bit of work, anyone is welcome to join me. I'll be there from 2 till 4 working up from the bottom.

If you do come along to help, bring something you can use to carry rocks up the hill in and if I'm not around fill it up and walk up and find me...

Don't forget , there's also the working bee tomorrow morning up on the new trail.

cheers

Neil
hickie

Postby its that guy on Sat 1/Aug/09 6:34pm

wow guys!
I was up there today riding all the tracks and even though its winter there nearly in top notch condition.
Just wanted to thank you guys for the great work your doing! :D :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby fantail on Sun 9/Aug/09 8:39pm

yeah, Jungle Scout would have to be the biggest maintenance lesson we've had in the 3 winters I've been around
went for a ride today and I think it needs to be recorded that 20 tonne of gravel & rock armouring was put on less than 400m of flatish track in July to get it to look the way it does today
you'd never know cos the mud has risen up & over the 10cm deep gravel
but it's there underneath & track rides ok

gravel is good!
fantail
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby fantail on Fri 28/Aug/09 10:12pm

The lady Labyrinth is booked in for a nip, tuck and small realignment early next week. Look out for the surgical team on the track between 8 & 4.
fantail

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 28/Aug/09 10:29pm

fantail wrote:yeah, Jungle Scout would have to be the biggest maintenance lesson we've had in the 3 winters I've been around
went for a ride today and I think it needs to be recorded that 20 tonne of gravel & rock armouring was put on less than 400m of flatish track in July to get it to look the way it does today
you'd never know cos the mud has risen up & over the 10cm deep gravel
but it's there underneath & track rides ok

gravel is good!
I wish that other Mountainbike parks in wellington, and indeed around the country would follow the lead of Wainui and use compacters when gravelling.
Wait for the gravel to settle...pahlease
SlackBoy
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby fantail on Fri 28/Aug/09 10:49pm

:) I could rabbit on about gravelling for hours...

but if anyone's really interested in compaction
only 200m of Labyrinth was ever compacted when the gravel was laid
can you tell which bit?
fantail

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 28/Aug/09 11:08pm

theres gravel on there??
SlackBoy
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby fantail on Fri 28/Aug/09 11:18pm

:lol:
most of it was spread by high school students two years ago

( and the girl group spread more tonnes than the boys' !! )
fantail

Postby MissChaff on Wed 9/Sep/09 5:53pm

OOO ooo I went up for first time today, being a Welli noobie, and had such a blast ripping through the park. Did not make it down every trail due to time pressure but cant wait to spend whole day in the trails.

Was a touch lost as to how to get back up, no signage, but went half up the 4wd/firebreak that intersects JungleGym etc.

Thanks to the trail builders and I will aim to spend some time on a maintenance day too.

Switchbacks and tight spots are awesome. Might have to put a back brake on though :)
MissChaff
"Delete cookies?"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Wainui - Improving Entrance Way?

Postby siggy on Sun 13/Jun/10 7:48pm

Had a blast at Wainui today: Snails sure is fun even with the damp; lots of great ups and downs and widely bermed switchbacks. Nice.

One thing though - having not visited the park before: why do you need to pick the bike up over a hefty fence / gate? Would seem to make sense to put a narrow gap or something that can let bikes through more easily there. Is it to stop motorbikes in?

And it seems some gravel across the entrance grass field would go in handy so that everyone doesn't create a mudfest and cut up the grass so bad?
siggy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby hickie on Sun 13/Jun/10 8:08pm

As far as I understand the big gate to the car park will be being opened soon once all the resource consent conditions have been meet.

I'm not sure what is happening in the space between the car park and start of the trails yet, it is something that will probably need to be sorted out between the committee and the council as there are a couple of other issues that are related such as access for the motocross users and placement of other facilities (such as bike wash, toilets etc).

HTH
hickie

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts