Waikato River Trails

Postby Tanasi on Wed 18/Jan/12 2:18pm

Did the 100km route on Monday Thought I'd share my Garmin Connect Activity on here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/142152971

Ah yes thanks to the farmer who left the live wire across the bicycle gate which really got my heart pumping!! It was electrifying indeed.

However, it was an amazing ride and except for some markers missing towards the end, which resulted in me missing about 3 - 4 km of the track it was all very enjoyable. Tremendous effort has been put into these trails and it really shows.
Tanasi
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Waikato River Trails

Postby jimmi on Sun 8/Jul/12 8:09am

We scored a bluebird day on the Waikato River Trails yesterday on tracks that were way better than what I was expecting. We chose to do the 100km from Atiamuri which seems to be the best direction for overall trail flow. The first two sections to Mangakino dished up mostly Rotorua type single track with outstanding river views. The next section was mostly swooping forest roads through pine and native forests with a fun descent to the next dam. Then it was more forest roads with a nasty little climb next to the quarry up to an epic view of the Waikato. We then rolled down the road to Jones landing, around the bluff to Arapuni, and finished with the 14km of graveled cycleway to the carpark.

The map shows the trails going through some small towns. It does pass close to Mangakino and Arapuni, but there is a lot of nothing in between. Next time I would take more water and fill up at every opportunity. If doing the 100km, that would mean taking 3l and refilling at Mangakino and Jim Bartlett Reserve (safe drinking water).

As Tanasi said, a huge amount of effort has gone into making this trail and it is an amazing (and scenic) ride. It is well worth checking out as either a 100km day trip, or just choose the sections you want to do and go for it. Some parts would even be great for kids, particularly the 14k from Arapuni to the northern carpark.

Will try and post up some pics soon.....
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby stealth mode on Sun 8/Jul/12 4:53pm

nice cafe in Arapuni, 5 min from the swing bridge
stealth mode
"'SUCK MY COG'"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby jimmi on Sat 14/Jul/12 5:02pm

Right....here's a few pics from the Waikato River trail. First up is about 10k in from the start at Atiamuri:
UHPS Room 3 002.jpg
Winter mist starting to lift on the Waikato
jimmi

Postby jimmi on Sat 14/Jul/12 5:08pm

:)
UHPS Room 3 004.jpg
Epic day close to Mangakino
jimmi

Postby jimmi on Sat 14/Jul/12 5:11pm

UHPS Room 3 008.jpg
1 of 4 swingbridges on the trail
jimmi

Postby jimmi on Sat 14/Jul/12 5:12pm

UHPS Room 3 010.jpg
Looking North at the top of Heartbreak Hill
jimmi

Postby andigrant on Sun 27/Apr/14 8:33am

Hi Jimmie,
Love your pics. We're a couple of 40yr old female weekend warriors. Mostly rriverhead, wwoodhill and a rotorua, around 20k a ride a time. We were thinking of doing the 100k over two days. Do you think we'll manage, or do you think a little training is required? E'll be going south to north like you
Ta!
Andi
andigrant
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby jimmi on Sun 27/Apr/14 4:48pm

andigrant wrote:Hi Jimmie,
Love your pics. We're a couple of 40yr old female weekend warriors. Mostly rriverhead, wwoodhill and a rotorua, around 20k a ride a time. We were thinking of doing the 100k over two days. Do you think we'll manage, or do you think a little training is required? E'll be going south to north like you
Ta!
Andi

Hi Andi
Do it!!!!!
You will manage 100k over two days no problem! Dont be put off by the big km's. You will have 10 - 12 hours of daylight to cover 50km, so you can afford to cruise, take photo's, stop at cafe's etc. I bet your normal 20k rides you knock out in 2 - 3 hours, so 50k in 10 hours will be easy.

A couple of years ago I thought people who rode for 12 or 24 hours non stop were crazy. Ive now done quite a few all day rides (10 to 12 hours) and if you just peg your speed back a bit, eat and drink lots, and just cruise then its actually very do-able.

Have a great time, take lots of photo's and share back how you got on. Once you get the adventure riding bug you can start planning your next rides: Hauraki Rail Trail, Pureora Forest Trail, etcetc.

Good luck.
Jimmi
jimmi

Cycling | Epic Riding | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts