Waikato Accident

Postby Tugboat on Sun 14/Nov/10 11:14am

Terrible news breaking this morning... car vs cyclists between Morrinsville and Hamilton. One dead and at least seven riders injured, one critically. :(

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-storie ... -cyclists/
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby Spokes on Sun 14/Nov/10 11:21am

Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Flynnster on Sun 14/Nov/10 11:25am

:( :( :( terrible news RIP guys

Any more news?
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby velofille on Sun 14/Nov/10 11:36am

Just read that on the news - fuck thats mega suck to loose locals. And then there is always the dread waiting to hear if it was somebody you knew, or a regular etc :/
velofille
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby velofille on Sun 14/Nov/10 11:37am

wtf - just read the yahoo news link - he hit them head on ?!?!?! Can we bring back the death penalty ? seriously?!
velofille

Postby LycraHank on Sun 14/Nov/10 12:19pm

Just heard it on the radio saying that the car is suspected of being on the wrong side of the road. :angry:
LycraHank
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 14/Nov/10 12:28pm

fuck :(

I feel like I might have dodged a bullet, I was considering going out with the local group this morning, but the legs were too smashed after yesterdays MTB ride. Now the waiting game to find out who we've lost....
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 14/Nov/10 12:45pm

:( Terrilbe news :(
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby cooper770 on Sun 14/Nov/10 12:50pm

Last edited by cooper770 on Sun 14/Nov/10 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby velofille on Sun 14/Nov/10 12:50pm

slidecontrol wrote:fuck :(

I feel like I might have dodged a bullet, I was considering going out with the local group this morning, but the legs were too smashed after yesterdays MTB ride. Now the waiting game to find out who we've lost....

Thats always the worst part. I used to ride with the Pickled pedallers in auck, and moved to waikato right before a car plowed into them. it was pretty stink :/
velofille

Postby scatter on Sun 14/Nov/10 12:56pm

:(

Words escape me.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby psychavoc on Sun 14/Nov/10 1:30pm

The comments that follow from readers just make me angry :hmmm: http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-storie ... ning-ride/
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby nagem on Sun 14/Nov/10 1:41pm

There is no excuse for ignorance. There's also no remedy. Stupid people will always be stupid people.

It just makes my stomach churn that there are people out there who think comments like that are ok to make. dumbasses. I bet they would be telling a different story if the driver of that car had ploughed into a people mover with seven kids inside it.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby MattV on Sun 14/Nov/10 2:42pm

Stuff wrote:The cyclists who died were Wilhelm Muller, 71, of Morrinsville and Mark Andrew Ferguson, 46, of Waitoa.

A third cyclist, Kay Wolfe, 45, of Morrinsville was also struck by the vehicle, suffering 'moderate' injuries. She is currently in surgery at Waikato Hospital.

The three were part of a group of around 10 Morrinsville Wheelers Cycling Club members on a unofficial club ride when a 23-year-old woman veered into them at around 9.05am on the Morrinsville-Walton Rd.

The vehicle was travelling towards the cyclists when the accident occurred. Mr Muller died at the scene, while Mr Ferguson died later at Waikato Hospital.

The vehicle's driver, who was on her way to work, suffered moderate injuries and had to be cut, by fire services, out of her car.

Police said no alcohol was involved in the crash.

Condolences to the families :(
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby 928pedlr on Sun 14/Nov/10 2:56pm

Some of those comments are unbelievable and are just go to show some of the ignorant arrogent morons that we share the roads with wether we are on our bikes or in our cars etc.
As the article mentioned indications were that the car was on the wrong side of the road, but one comment was that "cyclists should keep to the left of the white line", just how far do they propose, in the paddock by the road??
As NAGEM pointed out I bet it would be a different story if it was another peaple move/car etc that was hit.
I was just out there for a ride yesterday.....
My opinion of drivers like that has only lowered of late after getting bowled by a car driven by a woman who failed to give way at an intersection and after it admitted that she was A/"not looking where I was going" and B/didn't even realise I was there until I bounced off her car, in perfect visability and we were the only 2 moving objects in sight......
928pedlr
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Cycling | Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts