Re: Waikato Accident

Postby velofille on Wed 25/May/11 7:32pm

znomit wrote:
velofille wrote:
znomit wrote:
velofille wrote:Oh! i know what they have in common, being on the road with cars :)

Training for Taupo? :o

Ohh! I bet its the fact that they all have bikes!

They were all wearing helmets too.
The plot thickens.

How do you know this! police never released that information! I suspect you have more to do with this than letting on :D
velofille
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby musket on Wed 25/May/11 7:36pm

Seriously? That's absurd. The terms reflect that cyclists on the roads ARE at greater risk than they ought to be, and that the major risk is collision with motor vehicles.

The drivers in these instances are likely to be found liable for the deaths - so I'm unsure how you can make an analogy to P smokers or the like.

fatwombat wrote:
Ways to reduce cycling deaths on New Zealand roads are to be examined in a coroner's inquest later this year. Waikato coroner Gordon Matenga will travel to four regions to hear evidence relating to eight cycling deaths, starting in Palmerston North on July 21.

Travelling to different regions meant family members and witnesses could attend inquests and would allow for greater input from the cycling community, Matenga said. "These deaths are an absolute tragedy and we must do everything we can to uncover any lessons or measures that can help avoid them in the future."

He's looking at the wrong part of the equation: what we have to reduce is the number of people killed by drivers of motor vehicles - whether they are other road users (of whom cyclists are one subgroup); pedestrians or other occupants of the driver's vehicle.

These terms of reference sound very sympathetic to cyclists, but in fact it is stigmatising us as a group who put ourselves in jeopardy, like smokers or P users.
musket
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Wed 25/May/11 7:46pm

starting in Palmerston North? I suggest he cycle there, I suggest along SH56 via Opiki. After that he should understand the issue pretty well.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby musket on Wed 25/May/11 7:50pm

Having said that, it's everywhere. I nearly broke a woman's side window here last night after she pulled out of a L lane on me and I had to hammer it hard with my hand so she knew I was there. She just looked really surprised and said 'sorry' in a plaintive, couldn't be fucked way.

Driver's need to be shown(via legislation and enforcement) that there's no excuse for not according 100% attention and respect to cyclists.
musket

Postby Mickyfinn on Wed 25/May/11 7:57pm

Most drivers don't pay attention to anything and cyclist for that matter
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 25/May/11 7:58pm

Klarkash-ton wrote:starting in Palmerston North? I suggest he cycle there, I suggest along SH56 via Opiki. After that he should understand the issue pretty well.

that bit of road isn't as bad as it was (there is now a reasonable shoulder), you probably want to send him out towards fielding
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby musket on Wed 25/May/11 8:00pm

He could ride a Jorge Sandoval Promotions Timetrial over the main bridge out to Massey at 5pm rush hour! :lol: :satan: :lol:
musket

Postby Mickyfinn on Wed 25/May/11 8:03pm

Here's a solution.

Manditory 3rd party insurance ( if you don't have it you have your car impounded for 28 days.. if you still don't have it car is sold)

Manditory 12 months disqualification for drunk in charge ( then training and retest)

Police take a interest in dealing with the above matters..

Sound far fetched.... take a look at the 1st world they all do it
Mickyfinn
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Wed 25/May/11 8:16pm

musket wrote:He could ride a Jorge Sandoval Promotions Timetrial over the main bridge out to Massey at 5pm rush hour! :lol: :satan: :lol:

:D

The manawatu accidents were on good stretches of road.
znomit
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby LycraLarry on Mon 30/May/11 5:48pm

pushbikerider wrote:
Klarkash-ton wrote:starting in Palmerston North? I suggest he cycle there, I suggest along SH56 via Opiki. After that he should understand the issue pretty well.

that bit of road isn't as bad as it was (there is now a reasonable shoulder), you probably want to send him out towards fielding

Which way out to Feilding? They are all pretty good now IMO, excepting the mid stretch of Railway Road. Mind you that being said with the region being petrol head heaven it hardly matters what road you're on you will encounter some meathead at some point.
LycraLarry
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/May/11 6:08pm

Is it still Railway Rd between Bunnythorpe and Fielding? Because that is a scary bit of road..... The roads out around Kairanga can be a bit dodgy too. Not much shoulder for busy roads.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Cycling | Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts