Re: Waikato Accident

Postby nostromo on Thu 25/Nov/10 9:13pm

Was just popping in to post that same info Willie. I was honestly amazed, I'm sure its happened before but I can't actually recall another manslaughter case for a driver.

The case seems very similar to the women who killed Frank Van Kampen, she didn't get manslaughter as "police say excess breath alcohol causing death was the most serious charge they could lay" even though it was her 4th DIC. He too was way off to the side of the road like these women.

I wonder what the difference is?
nostromo
User avatar
":-("
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby znomit on Thu 25/Nov/10 9:21pm

nostromo wrote:The case seems very similar to the women who killed Frank Van Kampen, she didn't get manslaughter as "police say excess breath alcohol causing death was the most serious charge they could lay" even though it was her 4th DIC. He too was way off to the side of the road like these women.

I wonder what the difference is?


I think this guy was drunk and hooning, and Alison Downer was just drunk.
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby Crashed on Thu 25/Nov/10 9:34pm

The guy that hit and run the lady in the Manukau car park after stealing her hand bag got done for manslaughter ,so did the guy that drove head on into a car in Karaka killing the lady in the other car (both of these happened in South Auckland) may be the cops down there know how to make Manslaughter with a car charges stick.
Crashed
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 25/Nov/10 10:18pm

Crashed wrote:The guy that hit and run the lady in the Manukau car park after stealing her hand bag got done for manslaughter ,so did the guy that drove head on into a car in Karaka killing the lady in the other car (both of these happened in South Auckland) may be the cops down there know how to make Manslaughter with a car charges stick.

The difference is both those were deliberate acts, no intended to kill apparently, hence the manslaughter charge instead of murder, but deliberate none the less.
Driving drunk and crashing isnt "deliberate" in the eyes of the law (note, the law, not the Police. As they are actually two separate things.), so its not able to be charged as manslaughter, even though its debatable whether someone "deliberately" drives drunk or not, especially after the 3-4th conviction.
Percy Pig
User avatar
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby Toko on Fri 26/Nov/10 6:23pm

Oi, J2Hyde, who invented derivatives, the US Government?
Toko
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby cyclenorm on Mon 29/Nov/10 5:15pm

Has anybody else noticed that hostility toward cyclists has actually increased since the "horror week?" Kinda like complaining about overpaid miners and arrogant miners' unions just now.
cyclenorm
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby cooper770 on Tue 30/Nov/10 7:49am

cyclenorm wrote:Has anybody else noticed that hostility toward cyclists has actually increased since the "horror week?" Kinda like complaining about overpaid miners and arrogant miners' unions just now.


that is the normal response when ever the news is full of "f**king cyclists" stories.......maybe its time we stopped taking in on the chin and gave some back?
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby mjl on Tue 30/Nov/10 8:56am

cyclenorm wrote:Has anybody else noticed that hostility toward cyclists has actually increased since the "horror week?" Kinda like complaining about overpaid miners and arrogant miners' unions just now.


I've had the opposite in the Waikato. I cycled along Morrinsville-Walton road on Sunday morning and the cars went past me on the other side of the road. This morning the cars started to get a bit close to me in their rush to work along Matangi Road so I flicked my rear light on. Then they gave me wider berths.
mjl
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Tue 30/Nov/10 9:01am

cooper770 wrote:that is the normal response when ever the news is full of "f**king cyclists" stories.......maybe its time we stopped taking in on the chin and gave some back?


This is seriously retarded, even for you, but what action do you suggest?
E Dogg Capizzle
User avatar
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 30/Nov/10 10:43am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
cooper770 wrote:that is the normal response when ever the news is full of "f**king cyclists" stories.......maybe its time we stopped taking in on the chin and gave some back?


This is seriously retarded, even for you, but what action do you suggest?

Glock 20!!! :satan:
Percy Pig
User avatar
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby cooper770 on Wed 1/Dec/10 6:12pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:
cooper770 wrote:that is the normal response when ever the news is full of "f**king cyclists" stories.......maybe its time we stopped taking in on the chin and gave some back?


This is seriously retarded, even for you, but what action do you suggest?


And for me its no surprise that you'd see it that way.....but then opinions is all we have left 'a'

currently we seem to make a little noise, then all shout each other down saying Shhhhh don't upset the tin tops or they will become worse. we all stand by and suggest we let the legal system handle to problems, or worse the gomermint.
Give some back could be many things, so just throwing it out there seeing what others ideas are. Sorry if you think discussing it is retarded, seeking the combined wisdom of like minded is retarded, but that's what open conversations do....or are you the only one who see's sitting on our hands and doing or saying nothing or seeking thoughts of others as the best approach? I'd not advocate civil unrest like they had in SFO and NYC last year with mass cycle in blocking roads, but becoming a little more vocal and visible and human may be a good start.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 1/Dec/10 6:22pm

So by your suggestion that it's time we "gave some back" you meant it was time for more "discussion" and to be more "human"? :rolleyes: :D
E Dogg Capizzle
User avatar
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby j2hyde on Wed 1/Dec/10 7:44pm

Toko wrote:Oi, J2Hyde, who invented derivatives, the US Government?


No. But the derivatives were packaged up from debit encouraged by them. And the trading of those derivatives was permitted by them.

And I'm sure this has a lot to do with how efficient the world would be if everyone had to use centrally planned rail services :rolleyes:
j2hyde
User avatar
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby cooper770 on Wed 1/Dec/10 9:46pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:So by your suggestion that it's time we "gave some back" you meant it was time for more "discussion" and to be more "human"? :rolleyes: :D



*** in the sulky tone of an 18 year old cheerleader flicker her bangs****

yea what ever mister.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Waikato Accident

Postby znomit on Sat 4/Dec/10 1:37pm

Driver has been charged with three counts of careless driving causing death.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4 ... ist-deaths
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article ... d=10692013
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Cycling | Hamilton | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Upper North Island | Waikato - Latest Posts

Who is online

46 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 44 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit