Vorb On The Mobile

Postby Rik on Thu 17/Apr/14 7:01pm

Let's start the Easter holiday of giving chocolate eggs early. The updates just keep coming to vorb. We've heard the rumblings, we've listened, and we've responded.

We are very pleased to announce a mobile optimised version of vorb. So head on over now on your smart phone of choice to:

http://m.vorb.org.nz

This is a work in progress and the layout may change a bit as we improve things and adapt to feedback. But there is more than enough functionality to be getting on with. I hope to see a few more live ride reports or perhaps some mobile photo uploads from out on the trail.

Once we are happy with the layout and the functionality we will turn on mobile device detection so if you are connecting to vorb from a mobile device we will automatically choose the appropriate style. Until then, don't forget that you will need to log in m.vorb.org.nz even though you may already be logged in on the main site.

At this point it is probably worth reminding you that vorb uses advertising to cover our hosting and bandwidth costs. We did consider making the mobile site subscription only but decided to trial it free for all. We hope the site can cover it's costs, if not, then regrettably, we shall have to review that decision.

Happy Easter everyone (who has a smartphone). Enjoy

Rik
Vorb-mobile.gif
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Vorb On The Mobile

Postby Barbsarama on Thu 17/Apr/14 7:12pm

Hurrah!! Thanks (using it right now!)
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 17/Apr/14 8:08pm

You guys should be getting high-fives and fist-bumps!
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby psychavoc on Thu 17/Apr/14 8:23pm

Woohoo! Much easier to use on my phone!
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby jo on Thu 17/Apr/14 10:48pm

Like it!
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Thu 17/Apr/14 11:39pm

Chur, now I can waste time everywhere! :D
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby thorg on Fri 18/Apr/14 8:28am

Like.

Anything we can do to help make this a success?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 18/Apr/14 8:55am

Oli wrote:Chur, now I can waste time everywhere! :D

:withstupid:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Fri 18/Apr/14 8:56am

Mobilised!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Bigfoot on Fri 18/Apr/14 8:59am

Keen!
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby Kev on Fri 18/Apr/14 9:10am

thorg wrote:Anything we can do to help make this a success?

I think Rik covered the most important stuff in the announcement at the top of this thread.

I would also add; Give us your feedback. I'm sure we'll ignore 90% of it but when we do make improvements we'd rather be making improvements that someone cares about.

Would you rather see the name of the last poster or the number of responses on the list of posts?
Would you like a way to jump to the last post of a topic?
When we switch on mobile detection do you want your iPad/Tablet to show the mobile style or the full site style?
How important is it, to be able to update your VFR teams from your phone?
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby jo on Fri 18/Apr/14 10:03am

Kev wrote:
thorg wrote:Anything we can do to help make this a success?

I think Rik covered the most important stuff in the announcement at the top of this thread.

I would also add; Give us your feedback. I'm sure we'll ignore 90% of it but when we do make improvements we'd rather be making improvements that someone cares about.

Would you rather see the name of the last poster or the number of responses on the list of posts?
When we switch on mobile detection do you want your iPad/Tablet to show the mobile style or the full site style?
How important is it, to be able to update your VFR teams from your phone?

1. Name of last poster (but I think thats just because thats how it is on the full site). On that subject, maybe just show the first page and the last page number in the box?
2. Yes. I'm usually only interested in the last post, and will go back in pages if necessary from there.
3. n/a
4. Ummm. - maybe if its a problem (screen real estate or somesuch) you could have it flick back to the full site page? If I was travelling I'd only be taking my phone and need a way to do it.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Barbsarama on Fri 18/Apr/14 10:32am

Name of last poster so I can quickly assess whether it's a new post or one I've seen before

With Jo on this one, I'll scroll back if I want to

Full site on my iPad please, I don't like mobile sites on my iPad as they're too big and not the functionality that I want - I almost always change it to full site if it defaults to mobile for the iPad.

:thumbsup:
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Fri 18/Apr/14 11:54am

Last post, please, and I don't mean the trumpet tune.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Fri 18/Apr/14 12:53pm

The more that the mobile site could mimic mini Vorb the better, IMHO.

Is it possible to have it jump to the last unread post of a thread?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Cycling | News | Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts