Re: Vorb On The Mobile

Postby Colin on Thu 1/May/14 10:59am

And my 6.5 inch phablet thing.

Yeah nah, that p-o-s is not a mobile device even though it uses Android. It would be a lie if auto-detect tried to tell me it was
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby jo on Thu 1/May/14 1:00pm

I'm liking the click on title to go to latest post. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Kev on Thu 1/May/14 6:48pm

Colin wrote:Limit the power of auto-detect. Please.

In the worst case, there will be a link at the bottom of the page which you have to hit each time you visit the site (I know that you would not have to hit the link again every page but i'm not sure if a "visit" would last until you log out or some shorter period)
You should also be able to add an argument to a URL to force the non mobile version and if you had the arg in your bookmarked link the first page would be full fat. Will need to do some testing to see if clicking a link reverts to mobile.
The ideal solution would be to have an option in your account setting but that would be a tonne more work that I may never get around to.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Thu 1/May/14 7:29pm

I too have zero issues with running full Vorb on my mobile - but then that's probably just cause I'm so used to it.

Still see m.vorb as a good feature if there are those out there using it. And no doubt you can czech your stats after a while and see how many hits it's getting.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Kev on Sat 5/Jul/14 6:49am

I have turned on mobile device detection. From now on, if you hit vorb.org.nz with a mobile device now (not ipads) you will get the mobile style. There is a link at the bottom to switch to the full style, if you want. I know that preference persists, I'm not quite sure how long.

Drop a reply to this thread if this change is scaring you and we'll see if we can make it better.
Kev

Postby wolffman1 on Sat 5/Jul/14 3:15pm

First time on the mobile site but the functionality I use seems to be here.
The colour scheme is a little bright but it seems ok.
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Farm on Sat 5/Jul/14 4:11pm

I couldn't post a photo from my iPhone 4s. It said unsupported format or something similar.
That could have been operator error though?
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Sat 5/Jul/14 7:40pm

Ah this explains the very blank looking blue times new roman style mini Vorb that I was greeted with this afternoon. Assumed some kind of network error and then couldn't figure why I went via mobile Vorb when I linked through :D
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Malcy on Thu 10/Jul/14 7:08pm

Could you please turn off whatever autodetect there is for mobile v desktop? I don't want to use mobile, ever, as desktop browsing works perfectly on my Ativ S.

This last few days l, each visit to Vorb has gone straight to mobile, and it's a tad annoying.

Cheers
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Thu 10/Jul/14 10:37pm

It's an improvement :thumbsup:
I guess there isn't that much scope to make a Vorb app
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Kev on Fri 11/Jul/14 4:56am

Malcy wrote:This last few days l, each visit to Vorb has gone straight to mobile, and it's a tad annoying.

Hi Malcy, if you click the "Switch to full style" link/button at the bottom of the page, it should set a cookie in you mobile browser to remember that preference. Whenever you return to vorb, as long as you haven't cleared your vorb cookies, it should always go to the full site. Once you have chosen your preference, it should "just work"

If that isn't working for you, you could try adding "?mobile=desktop" to the end of your vorb bookmarked page. (actually, it could be &mobile=desktop, it depends what page you have bookmarked)
Kev

Postby Kev on Fri 11/Jul/14 5:01am

Farm wrote:I couldn't post a photo from my iPhone 4s. It said unsupported format or something similar.
That could have been operator error though?

I think I had the same problem when I was setting up the mobile interface. At the time I thought it could have been operator error though!
I'll take a look, it is almost certainly not something you were doing wrong.
Kev

Postby Malcy on Sat 12/Jul/14 1:04pm

Cheers Kev, easier (less clicks) to change URL to &mobile=off

The other button takes you away from the thread of choice, back to home, adding 3 or 4 clicks/touches.
Malcy

Postby Conners on Sun 13/Jul/14 9:23am

Malcy wrote:Cheers Kev, easier (less clicks) to change URL to &mobile=off

The other button takes you away from the thread of choice, back to home, adding 3 or 4 clicks/touches.

Yeah I just hit the "switch to full site" button once, and it's stayed locked on to the full site ever since - doesn't matter if I kill the whole browser or where I start it from.

My thoughts are either:
a) Your XBOX phone is doing it wrong.
b) your browser is always set to private browsing :sneaky:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Malcy on Sun 13/Jul/14 7:19pm

Conners wrote:
Malcy wrote:Cheers Kev, easier (less clicks) to change URL to &mobile=off

Yeah I just hit the "switch to full site" button once, and it's stayed locked on to the full site ever since - doesn't matter if I kill the whole browser or where I start it from.

My thoughts are either:
a) Your XBOX phone is doing it wrong.
b) your browser is always set to private browsing :sneaky:

It's not just an Windows phone thing. iPhone too. And I have good word that posts on the Vorbette's forum don't show via mobile view.
Malcy

Cycling | News | Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts