Re: Vorb Talkback Tuesday: The Hi-vis Fallacy

Postby Barbsarama on Fri 29/May/15 8:56am

Pah, the high vis argument is just another way of taking responsibility off the driver and putting responsibility for an accident on the cyclist. Next it will be a particular type of high vis...
Like that poor guy in Karori when that lawyer cut a corner and killed him. He was wearing high vis and lights and she CUT THE CORNER AND KILLED HIM but claimed it wasn't her fault because she couldn't see him. (oh need to curtail this before I start ranting) and the key point of focus in the courts was whether he was visible with his high vis and lights. NOT that she CUT THE CORNER AND KILLED HIM.
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Barbsarama on Fri 29/May/15 9:01am

And while we're on the topic of people not being aware of anything outside of the metal box that they're in, I was recently in a police car with lights and sirens on flying through rush hour traffic and among the people who got really angry that they had to pull over and get out of the way, were a few people who pulled out in front of the police car - and you could tell by the fright that they got when we passed them, that they had not seen the police car with its lights and sirens moving quickly among rush hour traffic. At all.
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby philstar on Fri 29/May/15 3:05pm

Barbsarama wrote:And while we're on the topic of people not being aware of anything outside of the metal box that they're in, I was recently in a police car with lights and sirens on flying through rush hour traffic and among the people who got really angry that they had to pull over and get out of the way, were a few people who pulled out in front of the police car - and you could tell by the fright that they got when we passed them, that they had not seen the police car with its lights and sirens moving quickly among rush hour traffic. At all.

normally they do not need the lights flashing once they have caught you ?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby 13daza on Fri 29/May/15 4:44pm

[quote][/quote]
Here you go Agrade

ahh the memories .... my pimped out workshop hack complete with slide out workbench, parking for two jacks and stands and a sealed bin for carrying six 20 litre drums of oil (long and very messy story) I think from memory a sparky bought it no idea what happened to it from there.
johnherbertmussy 002.jpg
13daza
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 29/May/15 6:14pm

Can't really miss that can you.

13daza wrote: I think from memory a sparky bought it no idea what happened to it from there.

The sparky would have shagged it in a year or two, that's what usually happens :hmmm:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby 13daza on Fri 29/May/15 6:22pm

It was definitely attention grabbing
13daza
Member for: 3 years 6 months

Postby laworder on Sun 31/May/15 11:51am

13daza wrote:

Here you go Agrade

ahh the memories .... my pimped out workshop hack complete with slide out workbench, parking for two jacks and stands and a sealed bin for carrying six 20 litre drums of oil (long and very messy story) I think from memory a sparky bought it no idea what happened to it from there.

Someone missed seeing that - and drove into it???
I hope they arent still driving. They shouldnt have a licence if they can possibly miss that

Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby laworder on Tue 2/Jun/15 10:29am

Talking of blind drivers missing the obvious....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rmany.html

Maybe the tank should have been high vis orange? Maybe she still wouldnt have seen it?
laworder

Postby jo on Tue 2/Jun/15 10:40am

It looks to me that the tank backed over the car? Should the car been in high vis? Did the tank not check its blind spot?
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 2/Jun/15 11:22am

No the car pulled out in front and got ran the fuck over

I guess you didnt read the article?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 2/Jun/15 12:59pm

Is there a study showing the best way to not be noticed in a crowd is to wear hi-vis?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Tue 2/Jun/15 1:11pm

Dougal wrote:Is there a study showing the best way to not be noticed in a crowd is to wear hi-vis?

noticed is different form seen, crowd is different from on the road
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Orphan on Tue 2/Jun/15 1:17pm

I have always loved the "I didn't see you line" on Oriental Parade as some douche hat turns in front of me into one of the many angled parks.

When I asked one guy "If you didn't see me, why did you cross the centre line to go around me, before swinging into the carpark?"

"Get f**" .... well, we all know where this goes.

It doesn't matter. Tribes will be tribes, they all claim not to see each other. Been cut off by a bus while driving? Had drivers pull out on you while you have your lights on?

Regardless what you wear, ride as if you are invisible. That's the rule I use, and I ride every weekday (commutes + training), and usually in the weekends too (training).

I don't think I feel any less, or any more, visible wearing hi vis.
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby laworder on Wed 3/Jun/15 11:33pm

laworder wrote:Talking of blind drivers missing the obvious....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rmany.html

Maybe the tank should have been high vis orange? Maybe she still wouldnt have seen it?

It gets worse. According to this Stuff article, she didnt just miss one tank, she missed seeing a whole frigging CONVOY of them
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/69 ... in-germany

I hope the experience has put her off driving. For life
laworder

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Road Bikes - Latest Posts