Volvo Designs Reflective Spray For Cyclists

Postby Kev on Sun 29/Mar/15 1:47pm

Volvo wrote:LifePaint is a unique reflective safety. Invisible by daylight, it glows brightly in the glare of car headlights. Making the invisible, visible. LifePaint washes off, and will not affect the colour or surface of your chosen material, lasting for approximately one week after application.

http://www.volvolifepaint.com/

Only available at a handful of locations in the UK at the moment. No idea how much it costs but if it's a few quid it seems like a fairly good idea. I don't often ride at night but I'd love to be able to give my jacket/shoes/paniers a quick spritz if I knew it was going to be dark on my ride home. What do the regular commuters think? Good idea or silly gimmick.

Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Volvo Designs Reflective Spray For Cyclists

Postby znomit on Sun 29/Mar/15 3:00pm

All good until it rains.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Sun 29/Mar/15 3:02pm

As someone who owns a road bike for almost the sole purpose of commuting, I'd paint my bike with it if it was permanent and the bike still looked the same (or near enough). No interest in temporary products, but I like the idea of having a high-viz bike without having high-viz colours on it all the time.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Sun 29/Mar/15 3:17pm

AgrAde wrote:As someone who owns a road bike for almost the sole purpose of commuting, I'd paint my bike with it if it was permanent and the bike still looked the same (or near enough). No interest in temporary products, but I like the idea of having a high-viz bike without having high-viz colours on it all the time.

In the fine print they point out the bikes weren't painted with the volvo spray.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 29/Mar/15 5:53pm

permanent would be mint.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby NickCW on Sun 29/Mar/15 7:49pm

This sounds awesome.
So after a bit of googling sounds like its a company called albedo that produces it, and they do make a permanent spray but it isn't invisible, looks like primer grey in normal light.
I'm in the same boat as AgrAde but don't give 2 shits how it looks, would happily plaster my beater roadie in it.
Doesn't look like its for sale anywhere else yet, somebody should disty into nz?!
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Sun 29/Mar/15 8:07pm

AgrAde wrote:As someone who owns a road bike for almost the sole purpose of commuting, I'd paint my bike with it if it was permanent and the bike still looked the same (or near enough). No interest in temporary products, but I like the idea of having a high-viz bike without having high-viz colours on it all the time.

on bike (or other non porous material) would it work under clearcoat? to make in permanent.

you could have some good fun stenciling with that stuff :)

as for safety it cant hurt. but i still think the reason drivers don't see cyclist is they are not looking for them, and this wont help with that.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 29/Mar/15 9:22pm

philstar wrote:on bike (or other non porous material) would it work under clearcoat? to make in permanent.

would the clearcoat 'clog up' the reflectiveness??
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Simonius_Titius on Mon 30/Mar/15 2:50pm

You could have some fun writing rude things on the back of SUVs with it.

For bikes we already have good solutions.

There is "black" looking reflective film which would work well on black bikes, it just has a semi-dark covering like the dark tail light units which were in fashion a few years back. Cranks are the best place to put reflective stuff, so this would go nicely on modern black cranks.

Signwriters can supply reflective sheet / tape in a wide range of colours.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby philstar on Mon 30/Mar/15 8:09pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Signwriters can supply reflective sheet / tape in a wide range of colours.

Also there is "black" looking reflective film which would work well on black bikes, it just has a semi-dark covering like the dark tail light units which were in fashion a few years back. Cranks are the best place to put reflective stuff, so this would go nicely on modern black cranks.

reflective back, seems like it is braking the rules of physics there.

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-scotchlite-reflective-striping-tape-79902-black-1-4-in-x-50-ft.html#
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/Mar/15 9:11pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:You could have some fun writing rude things on the back of SUVs with it.

Imagine the reflective penises that could be drawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 30/Mar/15 9:57pm

"It's Spanish for wanker" stencils for every Pajero in town!!! :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby happybaboon on Mon 30/Mar/15 11:05pm

I'm thinking draw a massive dong on an airport runway, so as the pilots come in for landing they're all "HAAHJHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH a penis!!!!!!!"
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 31/Mar/15 5:59pm

Or on Chch airport runway you write "Closed by gophers, try Timaru"
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Farm on Tue 31/Mar/15 6:51pm

Anyone with their faculties intact would take their chances with the gopher holes in preference to landing in Timaru.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts