Vintage Morrison Sprint

Postby Cookie86 on Sat 4th Feb 9:46am

Hi guys, I have just found my childhood bike. I would like to know if anyone has any information about this bike. It is a Morrison with a sprint sticker. So gues it could be a Morrison sprint but can not find any information or details about it at all. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
IMG_0160.JPG
Cookie86
Member for: 9 months 2 weeks

Re: Vintage Morrison Sprint

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 4th Feb 12:11pm

Is it a re badged Raleigh Chopper?
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Cookie86 on Sat 4th Feb 4:53pm

Yes sorry I have just found the Raleigh badge at front as well as a manufacture badge from Morrison New Zealand. I am going to restore it but leave the original paint and just do a clear coat. Any thoughts on value of these things? Collectable?
Cookie86
Member for: 9 months 2 weeks

Postby comadi on Sat 4th Feb 8:04pm

Cookie86 wrote:Yes sorry I have just found the Raleigh badge at front as well as a manufacture badge from Morrison New Zealand. I am going to restore it but leave the original paint and just do a clear coat. Any thoughts on value of these things? Collectable?

Collectable ; absolutely. Value; thousands :lol:
comadi
Member for: 1 year 1 month

Postby 13daza on Sat 4th Feb 10:59pm

Holy shit my mate Sean had a light blue one of these we were all very jealous when he got it it even had the whip aerial on the back of the seat with the little flag on it ,all us unlucky kids had to make do with Raleigh 20's and such ,we were talking about this not too long ago.
Sean came to grief on it attempting a jump off a large pile of dirt it flew well and far but the landing was a bit rough he came down heavily front wheel first after going way long on the landing.
Sean caught his nutsack on the gear stick via the open leg of his stubbies and one of his testes fell out (there were other injuries too but we were nine and that was what we remembered) and he was rushed off to hospital to get the jewels put back in their bag, he was eventually fine and his voice returned to normal however the bike was wrecked and his parents were really pissed (they were expensive) soon enough he was back on his beat up Raleigh 20 like the rest of us.

You also used to be able to get a banana seat kit for the Raleigh 20s that when fitted looked kind of like these if you stood a long (long) way off and squinted just right I recall a few of them being around way back when. but not many of these as they were pretty expensive I seem to recall them costing way more than the Grifters which were introduced at the end of the choppers run around 1976/77 in 1979 the bike shop in New Plymouth still had choppers and Grifters on the floor, the bright red Super Grifter I lusted after had a banana seat and five gears as well (I may have spent some time drooling around the local bike shop ;) ) sadly my parents could not be persuaded to buy me this glorious machine .
They were made here under license by Morrison due to the import policies of the day which placed massive tariffs on imported goods that competed with locally produced products

Here's a link to an excellent article on the Raleigh chopper you may find interesting
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/raleigh-chopper-bicycle-classic-135412

Very cool bike make sure you put up some pics when its all done I will forward them to Sean Im sure he will get tears in his eyes from the memories
13daza
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby Kev on Sun 5th Feb 5:10am

Ah yes, the Raleigh Chopper. At that age, few things matched the sublime joy of, after cresting a hilltop, reaching down between your legs and shifting straight from first, all the way, into top gear
Kev
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 6th Feb 11:05am

"Sean caught his nutsack on the gear stick via the open leg of his stubbies and one of his testes fell out (there were other injuries too but we were nine and that was what we remembered) and he was rushed off to hospital to get the jewels put back in their bag, he was eventually fine and his voice returned to normal however the bike was wrecked and his parents were really pissed (they were expensive) soon enough he was back on his beat up Raleigh 20 like the rest of us."

Brilliant :p :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Mon 6th Feb 11:28am

Classic quoting from Farty - good work.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby matnz on Wed 8th Feb 11:47am