Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Trail on Mon 4/Nov/13 11:45am

oooh drillium chain rings!
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby danose on Mon 4/Nov/13 5:20pm

Trail wrote:oooh drillium chain rings!


velo orange do awesome neo-retro bits, suse is running one of their stems on her casseroll :love:
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby sanspareil on Mon 4/Nov/13 6:15pm

danose wrote:
Trail wrote:oooh drillium chain rings!


velo orange do awesome neo-retro bits, suse is running one of their stems on her casseroll :love:

You can get the Halo Retro wheelset from Velogear Aus at reasonable cost, shiny large flange hubs with 36 shiny spokes :)
sanspareil
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 4/Nov/13 7:41pm

sanspareil wrote:Love retro steel and have built up several, this is the latest Fausto Coppi build in progress, may hang on to this one :)



Gorgeous bicycle :D I'd be hanging on to that one...if I were you.
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Mickyfinn on Mon 4/Nov/13 8:55pm

what defines a retro bike...?
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Oli on Mon 4/Nov/13 10:02pm

Retro-esque. :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 5/Nov/13 1:42am

Mickyfinn wrote:what defines a retro bike...?

It's not about the bike. :D
Retroness exists in how its owner or a viewer perceive it.

A 1980s bike that the owner has ridden daily since new is unlikely to be retro, it is just old.
But if he had kept it while riding more modern bikes then decided to dig it out again then it may well be retro. Put his hipster offspring on it and it is almost certainly retro.

Personally I mostly use the word to describe modern gear made with old styling.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby danose on Tue 5/Nov/13 6:45am

retro = new but style so it looks old

actually old = vintage

pashley clubman is retro

Oli's raleigh :love: is vintage
Last edited by danose on Tue 5/Nov/13 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 5/Nov/13 10:42am

downtube shifters and Reynolds 531 FTW. also non compact geometry and drivetrains.
Henry Dorset Case
User avatar
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 5/Nov/13 11:16am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:downtube shifters and Reynolds 531 FTW. also non compact geometry and drivetrains.

You can't tie it to the gear except for stuff consciously designed with older styling.
Shimano 9 speed stuff has been non-ironically advertised as suitable for a retro racer on TM, I laughed but can't argue with it.

Retro means backward. I guess it is an abreviation of words like retrospective i.e. backward looking.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue 5/Nov/13 5:33pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:downtube shifters and Reynolds 531 FTW. also non compact geometry and drivetrains.



so steel tubes and 631 tubing down tube shifters though STI... touring angles but compact... retro or old school
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby danose on Tue 5/Nov/13 5:56pm

Mickyfinn wrote:so steel tubes and 631 tubing down tube shifters though STI... touring angles but compact... retro or old school


stis &compact geo - def not retro/old school.

steel alone does not retro make (even if it's 853 and lugged)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby chuckie34 on Wed 6/Nov/13 8:25pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:
Mickyfinn wrote:what defines a retro bike...?

It's not about the bike. :D
Retroness exists in how its owner or a viewer perceive it.

A 1980s bike that the owner has ridden daily since new is unlikely to be retro, it is just old.
But if he had kept it while riding more modern bikes then decided to dig it out again then it may well be retro. Put his hipster offspring on it and it is almost certainly retro.

Personally I mostly use the word to describe modern gear made with old styling.



I've been riding the same bike since 1988, so its just old. Wish I went as well as the bike does. Only thing I'd like to do is have it repainted to original colouring. It does have a few scratches and fade and what appears to be rust spots.
chuckie34
User avatar
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Mickyfinn on Wed 6/Nov/13 9:29pm

chuckie34 wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:
Mickyfinn wrote:what defines a retro bike...?

It's not about the bike. :D
Retroness exists in how its owner or a viewer perceive it.

A 1980s bike that the owner has ridden daily since new is unlikely to be retro, it is just old.
But if he had kept it while riding more modern bikes then decided to dig it out again then it may well be retro. Put his hipster offspring on it and it is almost certainly retro.

Personally I mostly use the word to describe modern gear made with old styling.



I've been riding the same bike since 1988, so its just old. Wish I went as well as the bike does. Only thing I'd like to do is have it repainted to original colouring. It does have a few scratches and fade and what appears to be rust spots.



I have had the same frame for bout 12 years now... new wheels and bits as time went on.. but i think we all agree that there comes a point where the bike does not really make a great deal of difference. body weight and fitness are the key factors to cycling performance
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Vintage And Retro Bikes Anyone?

Postby Trail on Wed 6/Nov/13 9:34pm

Mickyfinn wrote:

I have had the same frame for bout 12 years now... new wheels and bits as time went on.. but i think we all agree that there comes a point where the bike does not really make a great deal of difference. body weight and fitness are the key factors to cycling performance


No. You must buy a 27.5/650B mountain bike. This is currently the key factor to cycling performance according to the cycle industry!
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts

Who is online

43 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 40 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7

cron