Postby Tama on Sun 23/Jul/06 5:10pm

Awesome stuff!

Here's a gallery to put pics in: http://www.vorb.org.nz/photos-album-1019.html
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby Tama on Sun 23/Jul/06 6:58pm

OK - we had a really good 5 hours of walking up and down a really huge hill. I've just had a talk with Hoz where I outlined what we talked about. Being a lovely bloke he was very accomodating towards the general plan.

I'm going to meet up with him very soon and draw some vague lines on maps. We'll then try and organise another meeting for everyone soon at my place.

The good/ frightening thing is that Hoz wants to get the initial proposal done before mid August! Which gives us... 3 weeks...

So one the bad side this doesn't give a hell of a lot of time, on the good side isn't it nice to have an organisation hurrying us along about putting tracks on their land?

Makes a nice change from a certain city council :hmmm:
Tama

Postby Jono on Sun 23/Jul/06 7:15pm

I'm quite tired. I've got a bunch of good photos which I'll upload of the various bits and pieces of the hill.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby Tama on Sun 23/Jul/06 7:49pm

OK - here's what I think we talked about. Note that the trails don't switchback as much as they will in real life ;)

Red trail - Freeride (end of it is going through forestry that hasn't been logged yet.)

Purple trail - Downhill Nats Course

Yellow trail - Weasel track (steep 4WD which is already there.)

Orange trail - Long trail
orongorongo-060723.jpg
Tama

Postby flatlander on Sun 23/Jul/06 8:39pm

Anyone keen on Google Earth I've made up KMZ files of contours for the region (from LINZ) and a bunch of the photos from today.

Contours at:
http://vieglais.com/oron/contours.kmz (about 1mb)

Photos at:
http://vieglais.com/oron/23072006.kmz (about 6mb)

To use these, fire up google earth and select Add | Network Link, then use those addresses as the URL of the link.

I'll add the GPS track later, but the photos are positioned on GE at the location where they were taken.
flatlander
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Sun 23/Jul/06 9:10pm

Ooooooo, very spanky.

Good work fella's. Hope your yakka comes to fruition. Can't wait until when we can unleash the grubber upon this mighty fine looking spot.

Best of luck!!
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby flatlander on Sun 23/Jul/06 9:24pm

Here's the GPS track from today:

http://vieglais.com/oron/gps23072006.kmz

One thing I noticed is that the image registration in Google Earth is off in this region by about 10m to the NE (GE claims about 10-20m accuracy). I adjusted the GPS track so it looks ok overlaid on the GE aerial photo background. The contours and photos are not fudged.
flatlander
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Jono on Sun 23/Jul/06 9:42pm

Damned fine work there, young man! I think I'm starting to see the value of GPS units, although I'm still worried that they'll block the divine intervention of the holy rescue helicopter...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby Tama on Fri 11/Aug/06 4:54pm

Sorry to take so long in updating this.

Ricky and I have been over twice to the Orongorongos, firstly to meet with Hoz on Saturday and walk around in that fricking gorse, and secondly yesterday to cut an access track up to Middle Road.

It's all looking pretty promising and I can forsee us having a 95% rideable 2-3 kilometre loop (or two downhills :satan: ) with three work decent work parties up there.

There's lots of issues surrounding the current logging operations and I'm going to try and get a clearer idea of the timing of these before planning the next move.
Tama

Postby lil_hukstr on Sat 16/Sep/06 8:06pm

Tama wrote:
JohnH wrote: is there any chance of re-doing the old dual slalom track out there? or the 4x thingy track? those were mint in their day

Those courses weren't in the area of Orongorongo Forest Park we're looking at (in fact I believe they're on a private farm somewhere close by.)

So they fall outside the scope of what we're looking at.

thayr on jaksons farm nd it a moto trak now
lil_hukstr
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Machuca on Sat 16/Sep/06 8:28pm

lil_hukstr wrote:
Tama wrote:
JohnH wrote: is there any chance of re-doing the old dual slalom track out there? or the 4x thingy track? those were mint in their day

Those courses weren't in the area of Orongorongo Forest Park we're looking at (in fact I believe they're on a private farm somewhere close by.)

Sorry, I don't speak grom.......Translation someone please? :eh:
Last edited by Machuca on Sun 17/Sep/06 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machuca
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Jin on Sun 17/Sep/06 2:33pm

Machuca wrote:
lil_hukstr wrote:
Tama wrote:

Sorry, I don't speak grom.......Transation someone please? :eh:

neither. what does transation mean :hmmm:
Jin
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Sun 17/Sep/06 8:22pm

lil_hukstr wrote:
Tama wrote:

Well Actually the jacksons have given the go ahead for DH tracks to be built on there farm . In fact heath? is currently building one now.

The Jacksons want people building stuff so people can use it .
Think a digger was mentioned too.
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 17/Sep/06 8:25pm

Mike_the_Hippy wrote:
lil_hukstr wrote:
Tama wrote:

Well Actually the jacksons have given the go ahead for DH tracks to be built on there farm . In fact heath? is currently building one now.

Heath Weasel and Eric have been building a track out there for quite some time. I don't think the access road is overly suitable for track shuttling tho
SlackBoy

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Sun 17/Sep/06 8:56pm

SlackBoy wrote:
Mike_the_Hippy wrote:
lil_hukstr wrote:
Tama wrote:

Heath Weasel and Eric have been building a track out there for quite some time. I don't think the access road is overly suitable for track shuttling tho

Eric seemed to think it could be shuttleable
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Clubs | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington MTB Club | Wellington Region - Latest Posts