Postby bugle on Fri 14/Jul/06 11:45am

Black lines = road?
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Fri 14/Jul/06 11:49am

Bless the camera phone!

We can play with the orange area:

Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 18 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Fri 14/Jul/06 11:57am

Jono wrote: ...so, for reference, I take it that the main (wainuiomata/coast) road is to the north of the shot, and everything else is logging roads (probably better than 4wd roads right now, but bound to get rutted out over time unless maintenance is undertaken...)?

No - the main road is to the west/ left of the Google Earth shot, and out of shot of the 3D. See the topomap I've just added from my phone.

The roads marked by black on the topo are "Middle" (in the middle) and "Top" (to the right) - "Middle" is destined to turn back into a 4WD track over the next few years/ decade but the current plan (and we should stress the importance of this to DoC) is that Top Road will remain in a state that allows fire engine access.

Tama

Postby bugle on Fri 14/Jul/06 12:03pm

sweet

and the plan is 'middle' down then 'top' to middle for completion?

Middle looks weird after you type it a few times...
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"

Re: Orongorongo Downhill Zone - Help Needed

Postby Tama on Fri 14/Jul/06 12:05pm

Yup - mark the whole courses but build the bottom halves first:

Tama wrote:
VEHICLE ACCESS
Both “Middle Road” and “Top Road” are logging roads, Middle Road will be retired and will probably fall into disrepair over a number of years. While we will be able to ride Middle Road we cannot rely on always being able to get vehicles up there for shuttling/ work parties. However Top Road is still be used for logging operations and the long term plan will involve keeping this road in good repair to aid firefighting and management.

We will only be able to have vehicle access during organised events (which could include regular trailer days.) However we should be able to use the roads during major work parties. As logging operations will continue for a few more years we may not be able to use Top Road at all during certain times.

BUILD STRATEGY
The idea is to build the bottom half of the trails first which makes things a bit more manageable and means will be able to push-up/ shuttle the trails via Middle Road. We would also attempt to do what work we could with diggers as previously mentioned DOC is not concerned about damage to the gorse etc. The Downhill Race Course is definitely the main priority as the club would like to use it for the Nationals in 2008.
Tama

Postby bugle on Fri 14/Jul/06 1:10pm

Comparing the orange to the virtual...

Looks like we have roughly the right hand 2 thirds of the virtual map, from the top road as it climbs up the ridge to the second water line from the left.
bugle

Postby Tama on Fri 14/Jul/06 8:43pm

I reckon we approach this with an eye on the Oceanias - 2010 anyone?
Tama

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 14/Jul/06 11:28pm

Well knowing That Mildie is gagging to have the national Champs in welly again, any year past 2007 we can almost have whatever we want, if the course turns out bonza.

As it is, The unoffical word is that the XC final is in welly and DH final in Levin
SlackBoy

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Sat 15/Jul/06 1:13pm

Yea i really like the idea of middle down first.
I think more people would turn up if they could get some riding in afterwards.

Not so keen on spreading the work parties thin over several tracks at once.
from my expierance its more motivating to have a large group getting further quickly.

Id really like to see our club get behind the Dh track because its in the members best interest for themselves and to better their sport. if this works out it will be used and improved for years to come.

To develop this track i think it will require more than a few dedicated members turning up every second dig day to work on this track. (i think its a big ask to stop all current LG projects in favour of this.)

It would be good to get other clubs/riders involved espesially those that are in close proximity to keep the project ticking over.

Before we go up and turn into pin cushions for the afternoon , i thought it would be good to have some idea of what we want this track to have in it so we know what to look for. I realise the location will determine what will get made but a shopping list from current/ex racers could make the world of differance for a track that may have an international race on it.

Id really like to see alot of thought put into the start , finish ,pickup and drop off areas to benifit the people who have to run any events some time in the futre too.

Just a few questions off the top of my head:

Where are all the tools coming from?
Where is the money coming from to fund materials for this project?
Tama , are you going to be heading this project for the full duration?
Could we get funding from regonal council?

this is just me putting some of my thoughts in order so i have some well marinaded opinions before the meeting. I hope it inspires anyone who reads it to come up with some more ideas that ive missed out.
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby bugle on Sat 15/Jul/06 2:22pm

The bottom of the hill is a cracking spot, plenty of room for everything you need to do at the end of a course.
bugle

Postby Tama on Sat 15/Jul/06 5:03pm

Mike_the_Hippy wrote:Just a few questions off the top of my head:

Where are all the tools coming from?
Where is the money coming from to fund materials for this project?
Tama , are you going to be heading this project for the full duration?
Could we get funding from regonal council?

All good questions Mike but probably getting well ahead of ourselves. At the moment we're mainly looking at getting three potential trails onto paper so they can go in the proposal and we really need to go out and look at the area before we have the foggiest idea of how much of a mission this will be and can address things like "who's building" "what material is needed" "how much will it cost" and "who's paying".

I've only seen the hillside from afar and wouldn't be able to say if the hillside is as mouldable as butter, or whether it will require explosives to make a dent. The terrain will dictate the resources required.

At the moment the only project I'm managing is co-ordinating this group to deliver three trails to Hoz to put in the proposal for DoC. I'm not going to commit myself any further until I've walked up and down the hillside and got a good idea of the work involved.
Tama

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Sat 15/Jul/06 6:46pm

cool , well said.cheers for that.

Yes i am getting ahead of myself a bit , but i figured some of the answers to my questions and points would be helpful in a proposal.

Although im guessing this proposal to DOC will not need to be as detailed as the ones submitted to city council.
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby Tama on Sun 16/Jul/06 7:19pm

Luckily Hoz is writing the proposal so we'll have to talk with him about what information he needs.

He's out of town at the moment but will be back in a week or two.
Tama

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Sun 16/Jul/06 7:29pm

Me and bugle went on big walk around the high road today because the likelyhood of us making it next week is pretty slim.

We managed to suss out an option for the longest route for a downhill.
it will also end at the start of the shuttling road too.

i took heaps of photos but kept having to delete some to fit better ones on.

i'll make a proper post with photos tomorrow sometime.
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Mon 17/Jul/06 2:52pm

this is a bit rough , but its one step closer to clarity

The red line is a possible Dh track , although it may need to be altered now that ive worked out the park perimetter.

Alot of the hillside we have been offered is very steep too.
orongorongo-google-earth-M&.jpg
Mike_the_Hippy

Clubs | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington MTB Club | Wellington Region - Latest Posts