National Downhill & 4x Champs- Wellington

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Thu 11/Feb/10 8:45am

WELLINGTON NATIONAL CHAMPS
26-28 FEBURARY 2010

Detailed information on the weekend’s events and times can
Be found on the wellington Mountasin Bike clubs Website: http://www.wmtbc.org.nz/

Its not long now until our club will be hosting the national champs Downhill in Long Gully (LG) and the 4 x & Dual cross races in Berhampore. The downhill track is in the last stages of completion and the 4x track is going through some upgrading changes as we speak.

It’s at this point we need to start sourcing the volunteers that will hold this event together and make it a success.
Because both of these events are tied in with the international body UCI, we have stricter standards and minimum requirements we have to abide by which in turn means a lot more people need to volunteers to help out to get everything done.

Another factor we are faced with is that the attendance levels at the previous national rounds this year have been in the very high, which could work out to be about double the number of people we have had at any club race in the last year.
What this all means is if we have the right number of people in all the right places everything will run smoothly.

Just because you’re racing doesn’t mean you can’t help out either. We have a few tasks that need to be done outside the practice and race periods.
Also we really need all you younger riders/racers to ask your parents if they can help out at any time during the event.

Listed below are some of the jobs we need help with.

Note: Because the events are run over 3 days we are expecting volunteers to be flexible to pick and choose times and days that suit them the best and where possible we will be rotating them and dividing the longer tasks between several people as much as possible to keep things interesting.

Long Gully Downhill Race 26th, 27th, 28th February
Track Marshalls
4-6 helpers Practice days (Fri, Sat) 8-10 helpers Race day (Sunday)
The track marshall’s job is to be stationed at the semi-dangerous points on the track to alert spectators of approaching riders (whistle) and call (radio supplied) for emergency first aid help and to stop racers entering the crash site when required. The most dangerous points will have first aid stationed there, so having first aid skills is not a requirement for this task.

Truck loading – Required: Fri, Sat, Sun – 2-3 helpers each day
During the course of the downhill hundreds of people will be queuing to load up onto the transport to get as many runs in as possible. To make our transport system work efficiently and to keep the waiting time down it is important to have some law and order by keeping riders queuing and moving to transports efficiently. (Suited to a parent)

Truck driving - Required: Fri, Sat, Sun – 2-3 helpers each day
We are currently organizing to have 5 transports on hand with trailers, but it’s a little touch and go whether we will have enough drivers on hand to keep things ticking over.
We really need a couple of extra people available to jump in when needed.

Timing volunteers – Required: Sun (race day) – 3 helpers required
Nzbike has asked for a couple of volunteers to assist their timing experts.
This will mainly be about organizing the starting orders at the top and sending the riders off and keeping an eye on the finish line to keep track of who comes past.

Miscellaneous tasks – (more to come)
1x Setting up sponsors signage - Race day
2x assist in marking the track out – Sunday and Wednesday before practice.
1-2 event village setup assistance – Race day 1-2 hours first thing in the morning
2 people to help out as required for on the day unexpected tasks.
2-2 packing & cleaning up ,if you have some time at the end of the event please come and ask ,there will be plenty to do.

Anyone that can help needs to send an email to Jordon at wellymtbc@gmail.com with the task and time period you may be available.
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Re: National Downhill & 4x Champs- Wellington

Postby jonodh on Thu 11/Feb/10 12:50pm

hey i can mark out the track on the days that are needed
jonodh
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Thu 11/Feb/10 1:28pm

Cheers dude, can you pm "big d" with your details, he is in charge of the track development and marking. The track and marking will be inspected by an official on the thurday morning.
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby rackerrack on Thu 11/Feb/10 7:25pm

I will do some marshaling on race day.
rackerrack
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Fri 12/Feb/10 12:33am

Mike_the_Hippy

Postby PhilWalter on Sat 13/Feb/10 8:24am

What time will you be running the slow practice on Friday ? Can't find the schedule on MTBNZ and need to plan my departure time if I decide to come down. Thanks very much :-)
PhilWalter
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Jono on Sat 13/Feb/10 9:28am

Count me in for saturday and sunday. Too much on to be taking time out during work hours on friday, but I'll be up at the 4X track fo sho...
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby PhilWalter on Tue 16/Feb/10 9:00am

Bump ??
PhilWalter
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Tue 16/Feb/10 10:33am

Sorry for the delay dude ,been working some late nights to get a bunch of info togther in one nice easy format :thumbsup:
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby big_d on Tue 16/Feb/10 1:17pm

PhilWalter wrote:What time will you be running the slow practice on Friday ? Can't find the schedule on MTBNZ and need to plan my departure time if I decide to come down. Thanks very much :-)

Friday Feb 26

• Registration 9am to 12pm
• Slow Runs 9am to 12pm
big_d
"GIGAAANNNNNNTOOR!"

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Tue 16/Feb/10 4:26pm

we are really running short of marshalls for the friday (and the rest of the weekend too)

also havnt manage to confirm too many drivers either , im sure most of the riders wont mind waiting 40minutes per run :)
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby Oli on Tue 16/Feb/10 5:03pm

I'd offer to help Mike (seeing it's right in my 'hood) but I'm away on the Tour that week and weekend, sorry. :(
Oli
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Tue 16/Feb/10 5:21pm

no worries dude ,nice to see your still lurking around here in a wheels kinda way.
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby Oli on Tue 16/Feb/10 5:23pm

:D
Oli
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Transition chick on Wed 17/Feb/10 9:18am

Is there any practise for the dhill on friday afternoon. :)
Transition chick
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Clubs | Wellington MTB Club - Latest Posts