Re: Whangarei Trail Builds

Postby G on Wed 9/Nov/11 6:50am

Quinsta- what are you spraying to kill the gorse(everything else)? a one week turn around is pretty awesome!
My trails in Dunedin will probably need some death by the time i get back in Jan :satan:
G
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Wed 9/Nov/11 5:49pm

G wrote:Quinsta- what are you spraying to kill the gorse(everything else)? a one week turn around is pretty awesome!
My trails in Dunedin will probably need some death by the time i get back in Jan :satan:

Lol yeah it is, In a 15L spray pack im using 150ml mix of Lion and Grazon.. i mixed them in a milk bottle at 1L Lion and about 500ml Grazon.. this is way over kill from the looks of the effect im gettin so i will be notching it back a bit to save spray, I'm also "Bomb Spraying" (as I call it, A heavy spray over the entire required area not just the bits i want killed off)..

Yeah Gorse is a major pain in the ass, the weather has been helping too, I have heard that you need to spray when there is wind about to make use of "Spray Drift" and also spray on dry areas in the time leading up to rain , something to do with the plants opening up to get the rain .. not sure if this is all true but i have started using these guide lines and it seems to be working..!! :cool: :thumbsup:
The_Quinsta
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby G on Wed 9/Nov/11 9:17pm

Cool thanks man, will look at getting some when i get back. Thanks for the death tips too.
Keen for more pics of your trail too, like another guy said in the thread :)
G
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Tue 15/Nov/11 9:04pm

Good build on Sunday, got most of the roller-coaster sprayed and some of around the Dog Pound and Motorway exit..,

This Sundays build is spraying( hopefully) along motorway and Tuna's Tail.. these are getting some rapid growth and need to be dealt with, if you can lend a hand bring your spray pack, water and spray will be onsite.. will post up the time, probably round 11am or so... :)

EDIT: 11am Sunday Confirmed..!
:)
The_Quinsta
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"

Postby The_Quinsta on Sun 20/Nov/11 3:00pm

Good build today, got the whole of Tuna's sprayed, and managed to get a good area around the jumps on Motorway sprayed too, hopefully see the effects of this by next weeks build..got a ride in, had the "Stack of the Day" will post this vid up in the Rides thread later on..
DSC00004.JPG
Entry to Black Track II .. looking very dead, will be in for another hit around here once all the other tracks are done..! get some more line space
DSC00005.JPG
Second section of B T II, you can see this from Whareora Road...!!!!
DSC00006.JPG
The Hill in the distance, recently logged got some lines to go in here, some mint areas for road gaps too..!
The_Quinsta

Postby hude on Sun 20/Nov/11 7:57pm

Yo Dan.
Sorry about my absence the last while.
Either been busy or out of town.
Hopefullly make it next week. Rumour is a shuttle day is on in two weeks.
Been looking at the freshly logged hill on my way to work with the usual eye to getting something layed down.
Whats the word with access to the logging areas?

Hope Tyler doing ok. Bloody bad news for such a little goer.
hude
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Sun 20/Nov/11 8:24pm

hude wrote:Yo Dan.
Sorry about my absence the last while.
Either been busy or out of town.
Hopefullly make it next week. Rumour is a shuttle day is on in two weeks.
Been looking at the freshly logged hill on my way to work with the usual eye to getting something layed down.
Whats the word with access to the logging areas?

Hope Tyler doing ok. Bloody bad news for such a little goer.

No worries
Yeah he is good as , getting back into school, slow going thou, but oh well

Shuttle day? didnt know anything bout that, who is doing that, the XC guys? Mean im keen again

Access will be limited to when they leave id say, let them drag as much shit outta the way before we go anywhere near it.. just trying to crack this spray down on all the other trails first before summer hits us and we lose our fight with the gorse again, plus i wont be able to get the van over there so they need to keep running that road in hahahhahah
The_Quinsta

Postby The_Quinsta on Sun 20/Nov/11 9:54pm

:thumbsup: Bit of a promo vid for the Tuna's Tail and Roller Coaster, seeing how i have said how good it is lately.....
The_Quinsta

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sun 20/Nov/11 10:06pm

Nice one Dan. :thumbsup:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby thorg on Mon 21/Nov/11 11:41am

Ahhhhh, the memories :love:

had a work collegue up there the other day, he sifted around and loved it. He is a mad XC boi of climbing age - and came away raving about the trails you are making up there. Good mix to keep everyone happy he recons.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Mon 21/Nov/11 5:22pm

Sweet cheers guys, glad to hear some feedback on the trails.. been checking the tracks today and the sides are dying off real well.. bout another month and most of the tracks will be sprayed hopefully.. maybe even the Gimp..!!!!!

I have tried to not change Tuna's too much from what you had it cut out as, way back in the day Thorg obviously we have had to make some changes to keep the track ridable berms etc, the only real new addition is the rock garden been looking at adding to the sides of the trail lately thou, should turn into a ripper, but right now this is probably the most enjoyable track up there.. fast, flowing, a bit of tech in it, and some additional drops .. :thumbsup:
The_Quinsta

Postby thorg on Tue 22/Nov/11 7:55am

The_Quinsta wrote:Sweet cheers guys, glad to hear some feedback on the trails.. been checking the tracks today and the sides are dying off real well.. bout another month and most of the tracks will be sprayed hopefully.. maybe even the Gimp..!!!!!

I have tried to not change Tuna's too much from what you had it cut out as, way back in the day Thorg obviously we have had to make some changes to keep the track ridable berms etc, the only real new addition is the rock garden been looking at adding to the sides of the trail lately thou, should turn into a ripper, but right now this is probably the most enjoyable track up there.. fast, flowing, a bit of tech in it, and some additional drops .. :thumbsup:
Excellent, was a trail of convenience at the time, picking the easiest line through the swarf left behind after logging. Tried to make it a sustainable line and grade, pleased to see that it's hold ing up well :)

All trails evolve, and it's been years since I was on the Haki. A rock garden sounds about perfect for that trail :)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Fri 25/Nov/11 6:19am

Build this sunday, 1pm to 4pm is Shuttle runs.. Gold coin donation, and sausage sizzle.. will also look at putting down some more spray inbetween runs..!
The_Quinsta

Postby The_Quinsta on Sun 27/Nov/11 6:09pm

Great day for the Shuttle today, Hot and Dry.. got some spray down on the motorway.. met a new rider, he is keen for builds so thats a bonus.. Had some epic runs, lots of drift pity about the turnout thou.. only about 8 riders.. oh well.. Great day done and dusted..!!!!!
The_Quinsta

Postby sc77 on Mon 28/Nov/11 5:30pm

awsome arvo, cheers for the shuttles, was good to meet and ride with some shredders I had a blast, Felling the pain today though havnt done that many runs for a while + majorly burnt arms long sleeves next time i think.
sc77
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Clubs | Cycling | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Northland | Regions | Trail Building | Upper North Island | Whangarei | Whangarei MTB Club - Latest Posts