Track Maintenance @ Summerhill

Postby Barks on Sat 22/Dec/07 11:35pm

The 16th of December saw a small party consisting of Karl, fraserb, dented and myself meet up at the top of the GT Bicycles track to do a spot of maintenance.

A couple of new toys were making their first outings as well, Karl's new brushcutter, and my new linetrimmer - just the things for making the job of clearing the track a lot quicker than doing it by hand. First hour of the morning saw a lot of cloud and a bit of rain sweep in off the ocean, which kept everything pretty cool, but once the sun came out, well, needless to say I was feeling rather stupid for not grabbing the sunblock and my camelback. HOWEVER, we still made a good amount of headway on the track, clearing down to the log bridge and a little bit beyond.

I'll get in touch with Karl again shortly and try to get a date for the next working bee, as far in advance as possible so you can all make a little time, remember, many hands and all that stuff. If you have powered equipment, be sure and bring it with you, or at least let Karl know. A brushcutter and a linetrimmer let 4 guys do a fairly decent amount of track maintenance in only 3 hours!
DSC00006resize.jpg
FraserB cutting a striking figure out on the track!
DSC00003resize.jpg
Some out-of-town guests to Summerhill getting the first ride on the fresh track
Barks
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Barks on Mon 24/Dec/07 4:55pm

For those of you wanting to lend a hand with some track building and maintenance, dig days are set aside as the last sunday of the month. This month's dig day was a little bit early because of Christmas and New Year, but January's is right on schedule for the 27th.

Remember: Helping out = BIG track karma :D
Barks

Postby Flyboy on Wed 9/Jan/08 9:39pm

Barks, or someone- make sure someone reminds me closerr to the time, Im real keen to help out and learn how to do some propoer track building... and maybe find out where this mysterious Summerhill is...
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby fraserb on Wed 9/Jan/08 9:44pm

arse. will be away for the last week of January :huh:
Riding, water skiing and BBQing at Blue lake again :thumbsup:

maybe I should come back for it......:insert tui slogan here:
fraserb
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Barks on Wed 9/Jan/08 9:53pm

Flyboy wrote: Barks, or someone- make sure someone reminds me closerr to the time, Im real keen to help out and learn how to do some propoer track building... and maybe find out where this mysterious Summerhill is...

Will do. If you suffer from hayfever dose up on antihistamines before you go!

Other things I learned very quickly, a camelback with some icecubes dumped in it is a very handy thing to have as is a decent snack. And more antihistamines.
Barks

Postby fraserb on Wed 9/Jan/08 10:02pm

Barks wrote:

Other things I learned very quickly, a camelback with some icecubes dumped in it is a very handy thing to have as is a decent snack. And more antihistamines.
you did look like a hot chappy after the last effort :lol:

I went thru about 2 litres of water while we were working :crazy:
fraserb
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 9/Jan/08 10:09pm

Karl is also keen in anyone arranging a time if they have a spare few hours to go up & do some trail clearing.
I don't think I can make it this month either).
You can contact Karl through the summer hill website.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Barks on Mon 28/Jan/08 6:38pm

This Sunday's dig day was an excellent session for all involved. Ric Balfour was kind enough to come up and show us serveral methods to clean up a section of thrack that previously suffered from water pooling at a low point, as well a corner that saw a lot of people dragging their rear brake through. Not only did the morning prove to be very educational, there is now a freshly refinished section on the Sram track to ride.

More photos of the track HERE
DSC00065.JPG
Ric and Dented on the job
DSC00066.JPG
Ric, Karl and Dented totally ignoring the camera
Barks

Postby evilknieval69 on Wed 30/Jan/08 8:26pm

Sorry i wasnt able to make it, but i ended up going to taupo with the whanau :blush:

How did you fix up that corner that everyone locks up the rear on? Its a bit of a prick of a corner cos its quite a fast part going into, and you dont realy see it coming :p
evilknieval69
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby dented on Wed 30/Jan/08 8:35pm

Really just made some small changes on the entry to encourage people to stay left, then lengthened up the exit berm, and some reshaping. Plan is to put in a wallride on the outside of the corner.

Interesting you say about not seeing it coming, might go and relook at some of the foliage there to try and make it more visable perhaps?
dented
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Barks on Wed 30/Jan/08 9:02pm

I gotta admit, I rode it twice that afternoon, and it comes up on you really fucking fast. Second time I went through there I was fair hauling arse, and I had the entry in mind, yet I still snatched the rear momentarily on the way in.

snatched the rear..... uh huh huhuhuh huhuhuh :p
Barks

Postby evilknieval69 on Thu 31/Jan/08 11:15am

dented wrote: Really just made some small changes on the entry to encourage people to stay left, then lengthened up the exit berm, and some reshaping. Plan is to put in a wallride on the outside of the corner.

Interesting you say about not seeing it coming, might go and relook at some of the foliage there to try and make it more visable perhaps?

Wallride sounds fun :p

Yea, EVERY time i do the track, it always gets me. I always think that the track is just going to swoop down a little and keep going farely straight, but no :( An arrow on the corner might help :)
evilknieval69

Postby evilknieval69 on Tue 5/Feb/08 11:03am

Rode at summerhill last night and that section is much better now. Theres another line to it now which lets you go higher, and makes it much more fun. Had to turn around and do it twice it was so cool :D
evilknieval69

Postby molotovd on Thu 7/Feb/08 5:36pm

Hey all..

I've had about a year and a half off riding and now starting to get back into it.. this summerhill.. is it open for public now? or whats the go?

Thanks in advance...
molotovd
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby dented on Thu 7/Feb/08 7:25pm

Yup, always is, always has been. Although when I was up there a week ago, I heard word that the DJ area is about to become members only (I hear they will be locking a chain across the roll-in ramp, that only members will have a key for). Something to do with the volume of work that has gone on in this area only, and has been getting abused, somehow ?!

That aside, everything else up there on both sides of the road is all open. Ride after gold-coin donation at the main carpark honesty box system.
Enjoy :)
dented
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Bay of Plenty | Clubs | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | Mountainbike Tauranga | New Zealand | Regions | Tauranga - Latest Posts