I Learnt Something New About Murderers Today

Postby Tama on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:04pm

Slim and I have spent a very productive day sitting in the sun in Kaiteriteri talking complete shit intelligent dialogue about stuff and things.

At one point we got onto the subject of what the definitions of a "serial murderer" and a "mass murderer" actually are. For example - how many people do you have to kill over what time frame to be labelled as either.

Well - with the help of the Wikipedia I now have the answers - and have learnt something new today:

Serial Murderer: Someone who kills three or more people over a period of 30 or more days.

Mass Murderer: Someone who kills four or more people around the same time period.

Hmmm... I can't help but notice a grey area in the middle - say killing one person a week for 4 weeks would be four people over 28 days which doesn't fit into either categorisation.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: I Learnt Something New About Murderers Today

Postby Scotty on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:07pm

Hey, I was wondering the same thing!
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:10pm

easy solution tama, do as you've said and see what they call.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:10pm

you
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Tama on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:17pm

shmoodiver wrote:easy solution tama, do as you've said and see what they call you.

What's your home address again shmoo? :eh:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:36pm

you can find me under roadworks in wellington :o
shmoodiver

Postby Oli on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:43pm

:butbut:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:45pm

shmoodiver wrote:you can find me at bikecentral 9-3 weekdays :p

Fixxored
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 5/Sep/09 7:47pm

pushbikerider wrote:

Fixxored

it's a hard life i tells ya. the boss was thinkin of a name change..... Pauls Boutique!
shmoodiver

Postby happybaboon on Sat 5/Sep/09 9:50pm

Tama wrote:Slim and I have spent a very productive day sitting in the sun in Kaiteriteri talking complete shit intelligent dialogue about stuff and things.

At one point we got onto the subject of what the definitions of a "serial murderer" and a "mass murderer" actually are. For example - how many people do you have to kill over what time frame to be labelled as either.

Well - with the help of the Wikipedia I now have the answers - and have learnt something new today:

Serial Murderer: Someone who kills three or more people over a period of 30 or more days.

Mass Murderer: Someone who kills four or more people around the same time period.

Hmmm... I can't help but notice a grey area in the middle - say killing one person a week for 4 weeks would be four people over 28 days which doesn't fit into either categorisation.

A cop I used to work with called them "spree murderers". Those who snap, and kill a load of people at different/times places but going pretty much between one and another without a cooldown period, whilst also not going completely rambo and gunning down entire towns in a mass murder.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 5/Sep/09 9:53pm

Here you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer (most of the "examples" on that page sound like mass murders to me, eg Columbine.....)

Enjoy your murderers :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby ratrod on Sat 5/Sep/09 10:54pm

shmoodiver wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

Fixxored

it's a hard life i tells ya. the boss was thinkin of a name change..... Pauls Boutique!

Now that would be sick!
ratrod
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 6/Sep/09 3:47pm

Tama wrote:Slim and I have spent a very productive day sitting in the sun in Kaiteriteri talking complete shit intelligent dialogue about stuff and things.

The 3 or more over 30 or more days is not really a correct definition. Surely intent and psychological factors are more important. The examples they give don't even necessarily fit the definition... example the DC Snipers of 2002 who were caught after 3 weeks are still classed as serial killers.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Crime | Sifting - Latest Posts