Replacing Double Height Car Stereos?

Postby Tama on Fri 21/Aug/09 1:45pm

PXTed in by Tama at 1:45pm Fri 21st Aug 09:
I have a mp3 compatible car stereo I want to put into the Steamer. However the Steamer has a double height factory stereo. How difficult are they to replace? Can you get some post of reducing mounting kit? Why do they always change perfectly good standards?

:huh:
1250819104-21082009.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Replacing Double Height Car Stereos?

Postby Scotty on Fri 21/Aug/09 1:47pm

Easy. You can get blanks and half-cradles from Repco for next to nothing. Mount your stereo in one half of the hole and insert a blank in the other. :)
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby velofille on Fri 21/Aug/09 1:51pm

Yeah what he said

Its like a wallet tray thing or cd tray that goes under the new stereo. In the shops they cut them to fit if you get it fitted professionally :)
velofille
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 1:51pm

Scotty wrote:Easy. You can get blanks and half-cradles from Repco for next to nothing. Mount your stereo in one half of the hole and insert a blank in the other. :)

W3rd

In my 'rolla I've got a pocket under the h/u inm place of a blank, but again it was cheap to buy and fit, rather than the ugly double DIN headunit that was in there
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 21/Aug/09 1:53pm

I usually fit the stereo and a dash pocket type thing. that usually works quite well. in other instances in-dash cd changers or other outboard equipment fills the hole although add on stereo equipment is getting rare and expensive these days.

a good carstereo shop will have a universal bracket kit, although the factory bracket can often be adapted to accept the new unit.

my preferred trick for double DIN holes if all else fails is to make a CF fascia. a flat panel is usually enough and looks boiracer enough for most purposes. :thumbsup:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Fri 21/Aug/09 1:56pm

Thanks people. I'll check out Repco next time I'm in "town". It's a pity the mp3 compatible stereo is silver rather than black but I've got it lying around so it's silly not to put it in. Another little cubby hole in the dash will be useful too. :thumbsup: :music:
Tama

Postby phantasim on Fri 21/Aug/09 2:25pm

Give Eliah a call at radio world on 548 7620. He will have the dash pockets and if your stereo is a main stream brand he will have wiring adaptor plugs to make installing it a lot easier.
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

More Pxts From Tama - 2009-08-21

Postby Tama on Fri 21/Aug/09 2:31pm

PXTed in by Tama at 2:31pm Fri 21st Aug 09:
Better photo :)
1250821864-21082009.jpg
Tama

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 21/Aug/09 4:44pm

Hey, while we're on this subject, I want to upgrade the stereo in the Subaru. Its got the standard one in it presently (i.e. the one that came in the car).

the particular feature i am looking for is I want a front USB port on it so I can put a 16G flashdrive in the slot and bobs your auntie.

I also want decent speakers and maybe an amplifier.

Not interested in DIY-ing. Where do I go in Chur chur and what do I buy.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 5:26pm

No Idea who to see in CHCH

Avoid Panasonic and Sony Head units

Pioneer / JVC heaunits generally very good,I'd buy Pioneer again, my current unit has been very good, along with the units before that all still go (in my girlies and my borthers car now)

Amps, depends on budget, for Cheap ones fusion have always done me well, if you wanna spend, go Rockord Fosgate IMHO

Speakers, Fusion on a Budget, Inifinity with some $$ or DLS if you've got big $$ to spend

check out NZ ICE mag

www.nzicemag.co.nz
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Conners on Fri 21/Aug/09 5:33pm

Is the USB feature HDC requests becoming readily available? If so, that would be the uber radnuss.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 5:39pm

Conners wrote:Is the USB feature HDC requests becoming readily available? If so, that would be the uber radnuss.

yup *shudders* many mid level Head units have said feature

MP3 sucks!
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Conners on Fri 21/Aug/09 5:44pm

pushbikerider wrote:
Conners wrote:Is the USB feature HDC requests becoming readily available? If so, that would be the uber radnuss.

MP3 sucks!

Would I be incorrect in assuming wav compatibility?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Tama on Fri 21/Aug/09 5:45pm

I happened to wander into a car stereo shop a few months back and models that could handle flash drives/ USB hard drives seemed pretty common - though hitting the mid to high price range. Something which you have to make sure is how many folders it can handle and how long the scan takes. I found a test on the interwebs but damned if I can remember how.

The problem seemed to be (for me) is if you have say 15,000 tracks on your hard drive broken down into artist and album folders most head units will spazz out. Generally they seem to be only designed to cope with say 500 folders rather than 2,000.

So yeah, check it out before you put money down.
Tama

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 21/Aug/09 7:11pm

Conners wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:

MP3 sucks!

Would I be incorrect in assuming wav compatibility?

yes you can normally play Wav files through said USB interface, but not many people carry wav files round on a stick
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Cars | Motoring | Music | Sifting | Tama's Random Ramblings | Vogs - Latest Posts