Postby psychavoc on Wed 19/Aug/09 2:52pm

I'd better put my anti-snail submission in :huh:

submissions-needed-for-mountain-biking-kahurangi-t97668.html
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Noooooo!!!!!

Postby Chickenman on Wed 19/Aug/09 2:55pm

So they're saying trampers look under every leaf?

From the article... wrote:The snails were most active after rainfall when they came out to feed and she said at times trampers had to watch their step to avoid squashing one.

She feared that mountainbikers would have less hope of spotting or avoiding the snails, particularly given the molluscs' tendency to hide in leaf litter.

Hypocrisy much?
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby jo on Wed 19/Aug/09 2:56pm

:withstupid:
Like a walker is gonna see 'em either, given they hide is leaf litter. :huh:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 19/Aug/09 2:57pm

come to think of it. when i walked it a few years back, most of the snails i saw on the track were already dead, cos the bloody blackbirds had gotten to them... eradicate blackbirds, not mountainbikers! not to mention the fact that the trail is, what, a metre or two wide, in a vast wilderness hundreds of thousands of hectares in size! plenty of room for snails that arent being impacted by bikers...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Wed 19/Aug/09 2:58pm

psychavoc wrote:I'd better put my anti-snail submission in :huh:

http://www.vorb.org.nz/submissions-need ... 97668.html

I have already put a submission in a while back.

So, is this lady going to stop DOC from servicing this track with their 4 wheeler motorbikes?? Pretty sure those machines would squash many more snails than any biker could!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Chickenman on Wed 19/Aug/09 3:02pm

swtchbckr wrote:come to think of it. when i walked it a few years back, most of the snails i saw on the track were already dead, cos the bloody blackbirds had gotten to them... eradicate blackbirds, not mountainbikers! not to mention the fact that the trail is, what, a metre or two wide, in a vast wilderness hundreds of thousands of hectares in size! plenty of room for snails that arent being impacted by bikers...

err compacted by bikers :o
Chickenman
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby danose on Wed 19/Aug/09 3:03pm

jo wrote::withstupid:

Forest & Bird has NOTHING to do with trampers - it's membership is mainly little old ladys in auckland who like the calendars, and a pile of zealots at the top. If they had their way they'd ban ALL people from the Heaphy to save the snails

I have zero time for them :angry:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby thorg on Wed 19/Aug/09 3:05pm

Those snails are SUPER cool! I have pic of one sliming its way across my boot, it stretches fromone side to the other! Anyone who has seen the larger ones will know what I'm talking about - they really do need protecting.

BUT

bikes on the Heaphy would be about as bad as trampers. the path is so smooth and flat people are not looking where they put their feet (cause they dont have to) and crush snails every day without knowing it. possums, mustilids and invasive birds are the biggest threat to the snails by far - no question. The added risk posed by bikes is negligable - or the dept would not even consider it.

if the twig and tweet brigade were serious about the threat posed by visitors to teh snail population, they would be trying to ban ALL access, not just cycles!

[rant over]
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 19/Aug/09 3:30pm

i've always wondered what the various powelliphanta spp tasted like... a couple of those big ones cooked up in garlic and butter would be quite a meal. :p :blink: :blink:

someone should farm them...
oh. thats right, Solid Energy practically are already... hmmmm.

gastronomy aside, they are pretty damned cool critters...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby xcwander on Wed 19/Aug/09 3:36pm

danose wrote:
jo wrote::withstupid:

Forest & Bird has NOTHING to do with trampers - it's membership is mainly little old ladys in auckland who like the calendars, and a pile of zealots at the top. If they had their way they'd ban ALL people from the Heaphy to save the snails

I have zero time for them :angry:

They either too old or not hip enough to be part of Greenpeace
xcwander
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby FeHT on Wed 19/Aug/09 4:25pm

How wide is a mountainbike tyre? Say 40mm wide. Over two metres the bike will touch 2 x 0.04 x 2 wheels = 0.16 square metres.

Say an average tramping boot is 300mm by 100 mm, and a walker takes 6 paces to move two metres. 0.3 x .1 x 6 = 0.18 square metres. More destructive than a bike.

If the back tyre follows the front 50% of the time, the bikes footprint drops to 0.12. Only 2/3 the snail squashing power of a walker.

Walkers should be encouraged to ride for the sake of the snails.
FeHT
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Thermo on Wed 19/Aug/09 4:28pm

"Someone said, `if they run over the odd snail who cares', but if you are a lover of fauna, if you run over a snail that's something that's quite horrific," Ms Martin said.

Dramatic much?
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby slowMTB on Wed 19/Aug/09 5:12pm

I must admit, they are quite cool to look at ( Canaan Downs had them in the forest ).

Maybe the snails will wise up and stay away as a result of the extra traffic, they would hear us coming and leap ( in a slippery snail sort of way ) out of the way :rolleyes:

OR encourage more French trampers , they will find them quite appealing I am sure :D , problem sorted :paranoid:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby TJ on Wed 19/Aug/09 5:36pm

I must admit I had been lazy & not got my submission in yet, but the crazy forest & bird bitch has provided all the motivation I needed. Submission now done. Now just need the motivation to submit to stop greedy dairy farmers stealing all our water & I'll feel much better about myself.
TJ
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Cycling | Epic Riding | Golden Bay | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts