Cellphones In Cars = Banned

Postby psychavoc on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:07pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2749138 ... -confirmed

It will be illegal for drivers to talk or send text messages on handheld mobile phones while driving from November 1, Transport Minister Steven Joyce announced today.

Drivers using handheld mobiles would be liable for an $80 fine and 20 demerit points.

The ban comes in changes to the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule.

"There are a lot of other distractions while driving but handheld mobile phone use has grown to become a significant problem," Mr Joyce said.

"The reality is we need to send a strong signal to all road users that it's not on.

"Texting and driving, in particular, is a total no brainer."

According to statistics supplied by Mr Joyce, there were 25 fatal crashes and 482 injury crashes between 2003 and 2008 where the use of a cellphone or another mobile device was a factor.

The ban will not cover hands-free devices or two-way radio, and there will be an exemption for 111 calls made in emergency situations.

Mr Joyce said the excemption for hands-free devices was necessary because many business and trades people depended on them for work.

Also included in the rule change is a requirement for motorcyclists and moped riders to use headlights during daylight hours.

Dog & Lemon Guide editor Clive Matthew Wilson said instead of fining drivers police should have the power to temporarily seize cellphones.

He said banning cellphone might not work because many drivers would rather get a fine than miss a call. But the threat of having their cellphone confiscated would cause drivers to change their behavior.

"Cellphone use by drivers is banned in many countries, yet drivers continue to use their cellphones regardless. Clearly, we need to move beyond simply giving drivers tickets to taking their cellphones away."

I hope this means that we'll have lots more attentive drivers out there paying attention to other road users instead of their phone calls and text messages :huh:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Cellphones In Cars = Banned

Postby jo on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:10pm

I dunno, its banned here and I still see plenty of drivers talking. :huh: Maybe it will decrease the number of distracted drivers.

Agree they should take their phones - I value my phone far more than a fine.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:12pm

Yay.. about time, the number of times you see a car weaving on the Motorway and someone TXTing..

its not talking thats the problem, its TXTing while driving..
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:15pm

yay, bout time!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby brutalfreeride on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:17pm

Imagine all the people half pulled over and half in the lane taking calls, and pulling over suddenly with out warning to take a call......maybe Im just a negative little man :paranoid:
brutalfreeride
"www.kenfeistcx.com"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:19pm

so, we can shoot them in their cars if they are talking on the phone? Preventitive measures?

but I recon the 20 demerits will be the real hook there! Imagine loosing your license because you just have to answer that call!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:21pm

ThingOne wrote:Yay.. about time, the number of times you see a car weaving on the Motorway and someone TXTing..

nope, it's been proven that talking on the phone is far moar distracting then texting
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby jo on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:30pm

In the age of caller id, its not the end of the world if you miss the call, cos you can call them right back. :rolleyes:

I find talkers distracted. Just this morning there was someone over the road from my house half pulled out, half not. I was waiting on my bicycle for her to go - she had no idea I was there, despite me standing about 5m from her head in a forward quadrant. About 10 seconds later she moved off, only noticing me as she went past me.
Drivers have their blinkers on bad enough without adding distractions. :blink:
jo
"Windy"

Postby wachtourak on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:33pm

Good.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:34pm

shmoodiver wrote:
ThingOne wrote:Yay.. about time, the number of times you see a car weaving on the Motorway and someone TXTing..

nope, it's been proven that talking on the phone is far moar distracting then texting

oh yup
Last edited by j2hyde on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:44pm

we should ban kids too, all the studies i've just looked at have kids as the greatest distraction while driving.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:47pm

By studies, you mean examining the toilet bowl just before flushing, then sure.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby iodi on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:49pm

shmoodiver wrote:nope, it's been proven that talking on the phone is far moar distracting then texting

Yeah, right. Texting is much higher risk than talking on a phone. For example, note the texting risk in this recent study:
DrivingPhoneRisks.PNG
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby jo on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:52pm

:lol:
Thats fairly emphatic!
jo
"Windy"

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Thu 13/Aug/09 4:52pm

about motherfuckin' TIME Steven Joyce you asshole!

Also why is motorcycle registration $320/year when fucking car drivers kill motorcyclists? The fuck!!
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts