Chch Magpie Watch

Postby mfw on Thu 13/Aug/09 8:51am

It's that time of year again :(
I've noticed some around looking devious :sneaky:

Anyone had any attacks yet?
Would be good to map them this year and get a sympathetic marksmen to deal with them :satan:
It's down right unfair of them to coincide their nesting with the springtime cycling season IMO!
mfw
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Chch Magpie Watch

Postby Rik on Thu 13/Aug/09 9:13am

Maybe we could import European magpies they nest in Feb/Mar?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby speedystu on Thu 13/Aug/09 9:54am

I hate the little buggers - out on Chattertons Rd yesterday and saw quite a few with that look in their eyes - not long now :sneaky: They nest in the trees all along that straight before you hit the Old West Coast Rd.
speedystu
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 13/Aug/09 10:10am

They should be forced to wear numberplates so they can be tracked down and fined!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby mfw on Thu 13/Aug/09 10:28am

Some more info: http://www.gw.govt.nz/section1042.cfm

Shooting
In rural areas, magpies can be shot using a shotgun, .22 rim-fire rifle or a high-powered air rifle. To attract the birds, place magpie decoys in a paddock with a magpie distress call tape.
When the distress tape is played, magpies will swoop on the decoys and may attack them. This allows you to get a close shot at them. Decoys and tapes work best during the breeding season. They can be purchased from sports shops.

Trapping
Magpies are inquisitive birds and can be lured into purpose-built cage traps. There are two types of traps available, Multiple Catch Traps and Trip-Traps. In some areas, Greater Wellington supplies traps, or they can be purchased from farm supply stores.
527_magpie_in_trap_s990.jpg
mfw

Postby tony_11 on Thu 13/Aug/09 11:31am

We used to shoot crows in the uk. It was far easier to just stand underneath the nest and let both barrells go into the nest... This would be an easier method than palying tapes etc... The crows used to see you from miles away with a gun and fly away.. If no gun they'd let you walk up real close before flying away.. Quite strange really how they know.
tony_11
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 13/Aug/09 11:35am

mfw wrote:It's that time of year again :(
Would be good to map them this year and get a sympathetic marksmen to deal with them :satan:

you called? too bad I'm in the wrong island
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby radiusq on Thu 13/Aug/09 11:49am

Part of me admires their spirit. I've never been attacked by one, so how long to do they usually attack before giving up? Isn't a couple of swoops mildly entertaining?

A pigeon once shat in my kebab, so I was a big fan when culling was introduced in London. If it hadn't been for the kebab incident, maybe I would have sided with the pigeon lovers. So with that in mind, do you think I would be pro culling of magpie had I ever been attacked?
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby lil_bro on Thu 13/Aug/09 12:00pm

I'm waiting for the first strike myself, couple of right buggers on my commute over Moonshine road from the Hutt. It's the same ones every year, and there are some pinko lifestylers don't want to take them out (unlike a couple of other sections of the road, where the residents take great joy in a potshot or two :satan: ).

I reckon it's worst where they are on any particulary fast sections of road, there the risk of a crash gets a bit high for my liking. The odd clip or two doesn't trouble me usually

Was suprised seeing Gordon Ramsay shoot a couple for the pot the other day, don't really think there is enough meat on one myself, and would think they'd be tough as old boots :D
lil_bro
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Speedanator on Thu 13/Aug/09 8:52pm

I don't live in Christchurch but was attacked six times last week on my favourite training route (and last night I actually had a nightmare that one latched on to my neck!). So today I was feeling a bit paranoid and had to do something, so I made some antenna's with cable ties and they worked really well.

The Magpie attempted to dive bomb me a couple of times but then would suddenly pull up, so it worked! Unfortunately, you do feel like a dork biking down the road looking like this but I don't care!
Magpie.JPG
Speedanator
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby rochie on Thu 1/Oct/09 2:06pm

One persistent little bugger got in 4 good headstrikes out on Chattertons Rd this am. Truck driver coming the other way had a good laugh.
rochie
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby brockman on Thu 1/Oct/09 4:05pm

Ive been bombed a few times recently by the bugger out by Daiken (formerly Carter Holt) near Sefton. The bugger there has been attacking cyclists for years!

Id buy beers for someone who destroyed it!
brockman
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby 84millsy on Thu 1/Oct/09 4:53pm

The gun shop down the road from where I live sells hand crossbows and gas powered slugpistols......
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Alf on Thu 1/Oct/09 6:47pm

I was attacked yesterday by the Chatterton's Road one. He had 3 goes, squawking and clawing at my helmet!! Not nice, but he gave up (I guess) once I was past the nest. :(
Alf
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby mfw on Thu 1/Oct/09 8:33pm

I got fed up of attacks last year so I've created the standard Magpie defence shield - seems to work a treat!
DSCF2020.JPG
mfw

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts