Career Choices

Postby tartgrandmother on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:27pm

Well i know it seems to early to be thinking about this. but all my choices in high school will affect what i can do.

well i want to go into some sort of sporting but want to apply myself more so than a personal trainer.
any ideas :thumbsup:

thanks alot
TGM
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Career Choices

Postby psychavoc on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:31pm

PE, Biology, Stats.
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:36pm

psychavoc wrote:PE, Biology, Stats.

but what about actual career choices?
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:39pm

career in some kind of sports science, bio mechanics, coaching , all sorts of things
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:39pm

Sports Management?
PE/Outdoor Ed Teacher?

Have a look at some of the stuff on the various Uni and Polytech websites to get an idea of what sorts of jobs graduates get.

E.g.,
http://physed.otago.ac.nz/about/physedis.html
http://www.weltec.ac.nz/SubjectAreas/Ex ... fault.aspx
psychavoc

Postby tartgrandmother on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:40pm

pushbikerider wrote:career in some kind of sports science, bio mechanics, coaching , all sorts of things

sports science sounds really coool
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"

Postby happybaboon on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:40pm

Physiotherapy (or medicine even?), nutrition, "sports science" is an option here at Massey but to be honest I don't know what that means. I think physiology is totally badass... I loved learning about physiology - you get to do some totally badass experiments where you make classmates faint and shit :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:43pm

Also check out www.careers.govt.nz - might be some useful stuff on there!
psychavoc

Postby Chanting on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:43pm

And physics. Im doing a pe teaching degree (first year) atm, and the physics that I did at school has really helped with a few of the courses this year. Those who took physics, crusied through, those who didnt, struggled a bit more.
Bio only helps so much apparently (didnt take it) cause in bio they dont do much at all on the human body, but i guess that would depend on what school your at. From what I can tell within my course those who did take bio arnt really any more advantaged than those who didnt.

If your going into the sports science side of things consider taking chem. but otherwise just check out the websites for all the unis and see whats out there, thats what i did before deciding on teaching.

My 2c worth
Chanting
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Fergie on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:55pm

I have gone back to do a Sport Science Degree and I am really enjoying it. Maths, Stats, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and English are all important subjects. Be aware that there is an abundance of exercise physiologists so to really stand out you need a Phd (7years min). There are very few good biomechanists in NZ and I am told we are still lacking sport psychologists. Most of the exercise physiologists I know how are doing lots of cool research all came through Biology or Physiology. The cutting edge is exercise physiology is molecular physiology and most PE or Sport Science degrees will not provide sufficient background for this. Sports Nutrition is another option and can have a huge impact on performance.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 31/Jul/09 9:57pm

I'm not dismissing the worth of a good education or having goals, but don't worry too much about careers or whatever if you're still in high school. They tell you crap about how important high school is but in the real world nobody gives a shit what school you went to or what you studied or how well you did. Even if you failed (and i'm not recommending it) you could still easily get into uni via a polytech course or whatever. Most uni's would happily admit a stoned unicycle riding monkey if it promised to pay the fees.

Dont stress about career paths, you might find you get to uni and discover something completely unexpected that you really like and that takes you in a direction you cant even imagine now. Or you might jump ship and become a drunken sailor, you never know. Just do whatever you need to do now to keep your options open (ie, dont fail) and study what you enjoy.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby scatter on Sat 1/Aug/09 7:46am

The another thing to consider, is becoming a paid-professional sporting official.......something like a stipendiary steward with in the racing industry (gallops, trots, dogs).

While, it's great to have goals, don't stress about it too much at this stage, particularly if you go with science........I didn't do biology at school (only chem and physics) and ended up being a biology major. Then I went right through and did a PhD in biological sciences but, without even having been near an Earth Science paper, am now employed as a soil scientist :D

:thumbsup:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby thorg on Sat 1/Aug/09 8:08am

math, science, english. All will be of great benefit to you if continuing education after high school. After that, enjoy yourself and do the subjects you like and interst you, and join the clubs (play the sport) you like. Math is always useful - the ability to use numbers will assist any further study, especially stats. Sciences teach critical thinking, evaluation, rationality - and how things work; bio/chem/physics, just pick one or two (I'd chose physics and bio for sport type stuffs). English will help you communicate appropriatly at the university level - learn to like reading - it will be your greatest asset at varsity.

all this is just my opinion.

As for job/career paths - recreation planning (for councils etc) or parks management?
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby KieranC on Sat 1/Aug/09 8:48am

What year are you in at highschool?
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Sat 1/Aug/09 9:16am

only year 10 but my yr 11 subjects affect it
tartgrandmother