Introducing The Steamer Mk2

Postby Tama on Wed 29/Jul/09 8:49am

Last week was pretty damn crap for more reasons than it turning me into a gammy cripple. I booked the Steamer in for a full service on Thursday and had one of those "You should come round" calls from the mechanic. He explained that the engine and transmission were flogged and he didn't want to do a full service on it as he thought I'd be wasting my money...

...on a vehicle I'd had for less than 3 weeks and had a relatively good AA Appraisal from the dealer (torn C.V. boot, coolant mix low) :hmmm:

To prove the point the Steamer broke down on Saturday and the mechanic confirmed my suspicions that it's fuxx0red and blowing so much smoke I might as well paint daisies on the side and move to Takaka. So, I'm obviously in the process of getting my money back - but to make matters worse I realised I'd be stuck in the picturesque seaside village of Mapua for a couple of weeks at least with a gammy leg, unable to ride my bike or walk very far with no other transport. Not cool.

As it happened the head mechanic was looking at selling a petrol Estima which had been a workshop project (head gasket) his daughter had been using. I'd done some asking around and the guy had a really good reputation for honesty and good workmanship so after the hospital yesterday I took his Estima into the AA for FULL checkover.

The minor problems that were found (leaky strut) are getting fixed this morning and by the end of the week I should be the proud(ish) owner of yet another Toyota Estima, with a few improvements on the original. Firstly it's a 1997 (versus a 1992) with less k on the clock, and it's petrol rather than diesel. While I have no illusions that it's fuel consumption will be around that of the Interislander (see below) I'm feeling pretty wary and have really started to appreciate the aversion many people have to 90s turbo diesels.

Of course I agonised about buying what I really wanted (a diesel Hiace) but realistically on my sub-$5k budget the only place I'd get a decent choice of such things would be Auckland and I reckon a "sales trip" up there to find a suitable one and drive it back would easily burn $500. That's ignoring the problem that I can only hobble about and am going into surgery on Monday.

The other thing is even if I find a sub $5k Hiace in Auckland that doesn't look knackered there's still a good chance that it will be super high k and do some nasty diesel trick costing loads of dosh 6-12 months down the line. I think I have to accept that to get a decent Hiace you're going to be putting down $8-10k at least. Way out of my budget, so embarrassing minivan it is.

On the flipside there's some things I like about the Estimas :paranoid: - they're comfortable to drive, have crumple zones (airbags too on this one) and are quite practical/ flexible for setting up as a van, camper or minibus for missions. They are also cheaper than normal vans because tradesmen are too embarrassed to own them. For more fun the Steamer mk2 is a widebody for extra space and I think it counts as the luxury version as it has wood grain, fairly expansive aircon, parking sonar and a frickin' super charger - yep a 4WD minivan with a supercharger :D

From driving it yesterday I can safely say "it moves" - not Hearse fast but not bad for 2 tonnes of slug shaped minivan. Hence my Interislander fuel consumption comment :huh:

Here's the beast in the flesh. Sorry I don't have a high-res version that you can print out as a poster for your bedroom.
280720092187.jpg
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Introducing The Steamer Mk2

Postby dented on Wed 29/Jul/09 8:57am

The blown petrol version is way betterer T. Rip some mean skids Au
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby crazychris on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:07am

AA screwed you on the first appraisal, or was it a dodgey one?
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby crazychris on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:35am

:o
steam.jpg
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Mel on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:39am

I find it somewhat ironic that your steaming enima has apparently attempted to F you in the A (and leg). :huh:

But, the upgrade to a ship from your previous boat, looks a whole lot better. :thumbsup:

And you'll have heaps of time to paint daisies* on the side while you recooperate. :D

* Better yet, put a vorb-dude on there doing some mad hucks.
Mel
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:40am

you bought the first one from a LMVT? there is a process you have to go thru to make a refund claim.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:43am

nice boat
Better luck with this one than the last one
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:46am

get a 502CID Keith Black motor, and Lenco trans, cage and tub the first one and make the worlds weirdest drag racer. Weirder even than the PT cruiser one.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Postby Oli on Wed 29/Jul/09 10:25am

crazychris wrote::o

:lol:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 29/Jul/09 5:43pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:get a 502CID Keith Black motor, and Lenco trans, cage and tub the first one and make the worlds weirdest drag racer. Weirder even than the PT cruiser one.

Please 502CI, get a proper motor in there, 1JZ, plus a "few" bits from Trust, way more fun than some V8 shitter
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Wobbler on Wed 29/Jul/09 5:46pm

pushbikerider wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:get a 502CID Keith Black motor, and Lenco trans, cage and tub the first one and make the worlds weirdest drag racer. Weirder even than the PT cruiser one.

Please 502CI, get a proper motor in there, 1JZ, plus a "few" bits from Trust, way more fun than some V8 shitter

oh yup
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 29/Jul/09 6:14pm

pushbikerider wrote:

Wont sound anywhere near as cool, or weird coming from an Enima! :D

Plus the KB will have moar horses, and lots moar torques. :satan:

Oh yeah, bugger about the boat breaking, but yeah the wide body super charged ones are way better. :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:16pm

I cant wait to hear what it sounds like when you fit that milo tin exhaust you were talking about the other day ;)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Robbie on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:17pm

oo Keith Black :love:
Robbie
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 29/Jul/09 9:21pm

Just chuck a ZZ572 Crate motor up in thurr
wachtourak