Phone Gps

Postby WayneG on Mon 27/Jul/09 8:31pm

Has anyone used there cell phone as a GPS/nav. system in there car? I'm just thinking about trying it instead of buying a proper car one.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Phone Gps

Postby Kazmeistyr on Mon 27/Jul/09 8:43pm

In experience ( Nokia N95 and Blackberry Bold) they're only much use as a map, i.e. if you are stationary. Pretty useless in car IMHO. Screen too small, not loud enough, actual maps a bit dodgy ( My Nokia sent me on a 80km gravel goat track mission once)
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby nzmatto on Mon 27/Jul/09 9:11pm

Kazmeistyr wrote:In experience ( Nokia N95 and Blackberry Bold) they're only much use as a map, i.e. if you are stationary. Pretty useless in car IMHO. Screen too small, not loud enough, actual maps a bit dodgy ( My Nokia sent me on a 80km gravel goat track mission once)

Agreed. If you need a GPS unit in your car then go for a proper one. I have played with a couple and found on the phones they chew up and spit out the batteries pretty quick. I'd go for a real unit if I was getting one.
I must say though, I dont think they are of much use unless your someone who is constantly getting lost in Auckland, like a Taxi Driver. It is pretty easy to find your way around most places, or just check a map before you go. I have however used mine when i have got to the right suburb, but couldn't quite find where I was going. I was only 500m out, but was very handy to be able to check the maps then.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Mon 27/Jul/09 9:32pm

gps has one real purpose, and that is as a gift for the wife.

you will never need to explain how to get somewhere ..... never have to navigate.......... nuf said. if they were 10 times as expensive, i still would have got one for the misses!
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 27/Jul/09 9:45pm

Logan (blind friend) has a gps in his phone, helps his navigation rather well. Pretty accurate too, to within a few meters, but he doesn't do route planning, just 'where the hell am I' type stuff.

I supplied a bunch of restaurants/cafe's with lat/long for him, and he had a chuckle as he wandered through Merivale and was informed by his phone: "Two Fat Indians 20 meters ahead on the left"
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 27/Jul/09 10:02pm

When I was travelling heaps with work I found the maps on my N95 to be very handy. If you plan on using it in a car buy a small 12V lcd screen ($50ish online) and mount it to your dash, you can use the tv out function in the N95 to display on the screen. Because of the zoom limitations it's most useful at city scale rather than for long distance country driving, but if you find yourself on a plane to foreign cities on a regular basis it's great.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Nordy on Mon 27/Jul/09 10:09pm

http://iphone.tomtom.com/

I cant wait for this, but the iphone has been pretty good for me wioth directions and saves me carrying two devices (have a gps as well)
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Stun on Thu 30/Jul/09 7:15am

I'm keen for the TomTom setup too.
As long as it isn't subscription based though...
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby xcwander on Thu 30/Jul/09 11:20am

Nordy wrote:http://iphone.tomtom.com/

I cant wait for this, but the iphone has been pretty good for me wioth directions and saves me carrying two devices (have a gps as well)

You might like to have a look at MotionX and B.iCycle for the IPhone as well. Both use OpenMAPs which has "most" NZ roads and streets, though have found a few missing back country roads. These are both GPS based trip mapping apps, not GPS based Navigators with turn by turn instructions. Just depends on what you're wanting to achieve. If its finding where you are on a top map and recording where you have ridden, then these two apps could well be what you're after. If its driving around a strange town or city, then you may want something like TomTom.
xcwander
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts