Psychavoc's Awesome Ghetto Helmet Cam Setup..

Postby psychavoc on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:01am

Take:

* one old digital camera which only takes video (photos are borked on it for some reason..)
* a gorilla-pod
* three velcro straps to attach gorilla-pod to helmet
* helmet-mounted Ay Ups

Test One:

Running around the backyard.

http://www.facebook.com/v/517008475897

Test Two:

Was going to be of me riding down Mt. Cargill last night. Unfortunately, I managed to damage my shoulder on the uphill and was too sore to bother putting the camera on the helmet for the downhill... :blush: Watch this space for more helmet-cam action! :)
DSCF4631 (Medium).JPG
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Psychavoc's Awesome Ghetto Helmet Cam Setup..

Postby Conners on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:22am

You're lucky you're 3'2" tall, any taller and you'd never get under any low branches!!!!
Will be interesting to see how the shaky-ness is on a bike, remmeber to do you helmet up tight. I've seen a hell of a lot of uber shaky helmet cam, and I'm fairly certain it's from people in the loose chin strap brigade.

Plenty of other ghetto setups over here
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby psychavoc on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:47am

Who'd have thunk there'd already be a thread on Vorb for ghetto helmet cams :blush:

Yup.. have helmet straps done up pretty tight. And wearing my helmet on top of my Hot Toddy (hooded merino top) so hopefully there'll be not much movement.

Am waiting to see what the physio says about my shoulder before I head back on the bike again :satan:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"

Postby Conners on Tue 14/Jul/09 11:56am

psychavoc wrote:Who'd have thunk there'd already be a thread on Vorb for ghetto helmet cams :blush:

I only bothered searching as I recalled Malcy brewing up an almost identical setup (gorillapod etc).
psychavoc wrote:Yup.. have helmet straps done up pretty tight. And wearing my helmet on top of my Hot Toddy (hooded merino top) so hopefully there'll be not much movement.
The other problem you may run into is in the flexy-ness of the gorillapod swivel mount jobbie. But like any helmetcam setup, half the fun is in trying!

You've reminded me that I have a VholdR sitting at home which needs a good thrashing...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby wachtourak on Tue 14/Jul/09 4:05pm

Conners wrote:
psychavoc wrote:Who'd have thunk there'd already be a thread on Vorb for ghetto helmet cams :blush:

I only bothered searching as I recalled Malcy brewing up an almost identical setup (gorillapod etc).

Yup it came out surprisingly good, there is a video of him following me and Vee down mt vic somewhere
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts