Over Quarter Of Kiwis Are Obese - 3rd Fattest Nation

Postby Tama on Mon 13/Jul/09 8:07am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/ ... et-too-fat wrote:New Zealand faces a healthcare time-bomb as a new report ranks the country once touted for its outdoorsy, fit population as the third-fattest nation after Mexico and the United States.

Health authorities fear disease and complications caused by obesity will soak up scarce health funding and dumb down a nation due to unhealthy, undernourished children.

Health sector lobbyists have criticised the government's funding cuts to nutrition programmes and to public messages to encourage physical activity, and the scrapping of regulations curbing fatty foods in school tuckshops.

Obesity is linked to heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.

The Health Data 2009 report, published this month, shows each of the 30 countries monitored by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) are getting fatter.

The report puts New Zealand's obesity rate at 26.5 per cent in 2007, Mexico was at 30 per cent in 2006 and the United States led with 34.3 per cent of its population classed as obese in 2006.

The latest figure for Australia was 21.7 per cent in 1999.

What a depressing and shameful statistic - I don't think we comprehend the damage this is doing to our country's physical, social (and mental) health. :(
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Over Quarter Of Kiwis Are Obese - 3rd Fattest Nation

Postby slowMTB on Mon 13/Jul/09 8:13am

:o - not enough cyclists ?

I blame fast food, video games and at the moment, winter :(
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Mon 13/Jul/09 8:26am

Maybe the recession can help us slim down?? Had to get fat if you cant afford food :o
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Fraser on Mon 13/Jul/09 9:15am

Who has been eating all the pies.

:eh:

I blame shuttling and sport internet sites.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 13/Jul/09 9:27am

Trail wrote:Maybe the recession can help us slim down?? Had to get fat if you cant afford food :o

But for some reason, the people who can least afford the fast food seem to think its cheaper to feed a family a meal of KFry than it is to get food from the supermarket!!! so, the recession is just gonna make them FATTER
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Willey_Coyote on Mon 13/Jul/09 9:56am

Food stamps for fresh food only please
Willey_Coyote
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 13/Jul/09 10:15am

I blame the BMI calculation and the tall/athletic people! If you have lots of muscle, you're heading towards obesity!

BMI Ranges:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 (was lowered to 22 recently?)
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I'm considered overweight! (26.8) and after a quiet week with some red wine and home baking, can be knocking on the door of obese. If I lost 30KG and dropped to 75KG, I would be considered 'normal'. I would also have no muscle, be as thin as a rake and on deaths doorstep. I haven't been 75KG since I was at school, yet that's what I 'should' be? I'd be admitted to hospital and die while I was that 'healthy'

BMI is bullshit on it's own, and the worlds stupidist calculation for 'obese' people. Most of the All Blacks, and other 'heavy sports' are considered obese by these calculations. A crock.

rant over.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby chalky on Mon 13/Jul/09 10:26am

Mexicans can afford enough food to be fat ?
chalky
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 13/Jul/09 10:31am

aaaaaaaaaaaand National has cut push play.

Hope everyone's enjoying those tax cuts. :)
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Willey_Coyote on Mon 13/Jul/09 10:40am

Maybe they should introduce "push cook your kids healthy meals and not be a lazy arse and give them fast foods" programme
Willey_Coyote
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby bigJIMMY on Mon 13/Jul/09 10:53am

crazychris wrote:I blame the BMI calculation and the tall/athletic people! If you have lots of muscle, you're heading towards obesity!

BMI Ranges:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 (was lowered to 22 recently?)
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I'm considered overweight! (26.8) and after a quiet week with some red wine and home baking, can be knocking on the door of obese. If I lost 30KG and dropped to 75KG, I would be considered 'normal'. I would also have no muscle, be as thin as a rake and on deaths doorstep. I haven't been 75KG since I was at school, yet that's what I 'should' be? I'd be admitted to hospital and die while I was that 'healthy'

BMI is bullshit on it's own, and the worlds stupidist calculation for 'obese' people. Most of the All Blacks, and other 'heavy sports' are considered obese by these calculations. A crock.

rant over.

agreed BMI is bullshit!
i'm considered obese using bmi
bigJIMMY
"DID SOMEONE SAY ICE CREAM! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 13/Jul/09 10:55am

what a lot of simplistic tosh. the issues about poverty/bad diet/bad food/lack of exercise blah blah are a lot more complex than a pickup story that will make a bit of headway on todays short attention span 24 hour news cycle.

"Used to watch the news but I dont anymore. Aint none of it new its the same as before" Mike Cooley, DBT.

the question is: "What did you do today to eat healthy and do some exercise?" handwringing about some sadass in the ghetto gets you nowhere.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Oli on Mon 13/Jul/09 11:19am

Do DBT have any hints as to the easiest/fastest ways of losing weight?
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby scatter on Mon 13/Jul/09 11:21am

P.

The choice of NZ's top jockey's at keeping their weight under control :thumbsup:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 13/Jul/09 11:22am

Scotty wrote:Hope everyone's enjoying those tax cuts. :)
What tax cuts? National never said ANYTHIN about tax cuts :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Health | National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts