Anybody Got/had Carpel Tunnel Problems?

Postby Spokes on Sun 12/Jul/09 11:08am

Ive got a mate with this. Anybody got ideas on what would help?
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Anybody Got/had Carpel Tunnel Problems?

Postby DropKick on Sun 12/Jul/09 11:12am

Wrist splints at night, and less masturbating.
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Spokes on Sun 12/Jul/09 11:17am

DropKick wrote:Wrist splints at night, and less masturbating.

Why at night?

And yes the masturbating issue has been well covered. :D
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby DropKick on Sun 12/Jul/09 11:22am

a lot of people sleep with their wrists cocked, makes it worse, particularly in the morning.

Aside from that try some Non steroidal anti inflammatorys like voltaren/ibuprofen. Last resort is surgery where they just release the transverse ligament, works pretty good i think but can leave a bit of a painful scar i think :eh:
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby RussS on Sun 12/Jul/09 11:38am

DropKick wrote:Last resort is surgery where they just release the transverse ligament, works pretty good i think but can leave a bit of a painful scar i think :eh:

Not only painful - but bloody ugly sometimes. Have a few motocross friends that had surgery - some of their dates parents thought they had slashed their wrists :crazy:
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby NickCW on Sun 12/Jul/09 12:03pm

I know a couple of people who have had the operation.

One was a workshop tutor I had a couple of years ago, reckons it made a huge difference, scarring wasn't too bad (was visible tho) but it left the base of his plam/wrists tender and sore for quite a while. He was back at work within a few weeks but was unable to lift/grasp anything for some time and had to be real careful not to knock it around, which was difficult considering his job.

The other is my dear old nan, she had seperate operations on each wrist, one was done by a plastic surgeon and the other by an orthopaedic surgeon. For her the latter was more effective.
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Scotty on Sun 12/Jul/09 1:14pm

I've had it. To the point where the blood flow to my hands was completely fooked.

Wish they had worked out when I'd bust my wrist it wasn't just OOS as well. :(

Anyway, I know a lot of people that have had it done to varying levels of success, it depends on what's causing it.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Muz on Wed 15/Jul/09 2:08pm

Had is a long time ago REALLY bad on two occasions - to the point where I was in pain typing.

My tips:

1) Vary your posture and hand positions a lot - your body will get tired and stressed if you work in the same position day in, day out.

The same concept applies to bikes - I learnt at a very early age that the best way to reduce hand fatigue on a bike, is to vary your hand position.

Carpel Tunnel was originally known as RSI - repetitive strain injury and then OOS - occupational overuse syndrome.
The two acronyms confirm two of the classic causes - repetitive movements and over stressing your body (in essence), so they kind of imply and suggest what you could to do to help - reduce repetitive movements by varying your position and stop making the same body movements over and over and over without variation.

2) Exercises - learn some good ones to strengthen your wrists and increase strength and flexibility. Mine all come from martial arts and aren't suitable for general use. They're really, really good though and one particular exercise is the main one I focus on (which relates to flexibility and strength of the wrist joint) - the same movement is also used to shatter the wrist - so be really careful if you happen to figure out what I'm talking about. Exercise to the point of discomfort and not pain.

If you don't know where to start - book a physio session and have them define some exercises. You can quite easily go to a physio for advice or a consultation - you don't need to use them for doing the actual exercises - you can do those on your own.

3) Look at other options to improve your working environment.
a) ergonomics is key
b) investigate any options re: supporting your limbs - I've seen a lot of people over the years use wrist supports on terminals and workstations.
c) if a mouse is causing your problems - there's a couple of specifics you can do:
i) the main issue with most people (me included) is not properly moving the arm when using the mouse - so focus on keeping your wrist joint in static and moving your whole arm to move the mouse around. It will feel very weird for a while, but if you can get used to it - it's a much better way to move the mouse from a bio-mechanics perspective.
ii) another classic that helps a lot of people is changing to a physically larger mouse - to provide more support to the hand
iii) another option too that helps some others is switching to a track ball - arrgghhh :crazy: (I'm not a fan of them myself, but it if works...)

4) Take regular breaks - there's a lot of software aimed at managing this side of things. Depending on who your friend works for, they might be able to get their employer to provide the software.

5) Exercises :) - thought I'd mention that one twice, as it's really important.

Those would be my tips in a nutshell.
If you want any more specifics - give me a PM - happy to help as it's a bummer of a problem to have and when mine was bad it basically stopped me from riding as much and put me in a fair bit of discomfort.

I honestly believe the single most important change I made was doing a lot of wrist exercises.
Muz
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts