2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby Tama on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:21am

After picking up the Estima I noticed that it's running snow tyres on the back and street tyres on the front - which according to popular wisdom is a great way to kill yourself. The front tyres are Yokohama with 3mm tread but something about them doesn't fill me with confidence.

So I've got a number of choices:
1.) Get some new tyres fitted both front and rear - pricey but stress free and able to rotate properly.
2.) Get some second hand tyres to replace the snow tyres on the rear
3.) Get a full set of second hand tyres front and rear
4.) Get a second hand wheelset with tyres

I don't feel like spending the $600-700 needed to put new tyres across the whole vehicle but on the flip side I'd feel pretty stupid crashing off the road because I was being cheap.

Are second hand tyres generally good or generally dodgy? I'm looking at getting some directly off TardMe but if anyone has any other suggestions that'd be great.

For reference the tyres are 215/16/15 and I think the bolt pattern is 114.3 PCD
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Tama

Re: 2nd Hand Car Tyres - Good, Bad, Or Ugly?

Postby thorg on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:29am

Your 4 wheel drive right?

dont be dick - get 4 tyres the same - new, and suited for your intended use.

Your tyres are the only things that are going to save you when you need to turn or stop.

here endeth the lesson.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:33am

Clarky owns a tyre business these days. Give him a ring and he might do a you a good deal on some new tyres. :thumbsup: He will at least be able to give you some pricing options on tyres. His business is Advantage tyres out beside the Sockburn roundabout.

If second hand tyres are in good conditions and you get four of them it could be a good deal, but it could be a bunch of arseing around to find a set... and you just never quite know with second hand.

Have you checked the spare? It is good to have a decent spare tyre on there as well.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:34am

Tama wrote:
For reference the tyres are 215/16/15 and I think the bolt pattern is 114.3 PCD

that is a low profile tire :)

I've always been a fan of getting set of new 4 tires when needed (but my car takes 185/70/13 so cheep as), but if you are fealing cheep I'd go for 2nd hand wheel set with tires (if the stud patern is comon enough) whole sets have a beeter chance of not being sold cos they are rooted.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby xcmtb on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:39am

I has a space saver you can have... completely unused, was replaced with a full size tyre.

I'll let you have it for the cost of shipping.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Tama on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:41am

Trail wrote:Clarky owns a tyre business these days. Give him a ring and he might do a you a good deal on some new tyres. :thumbsup: He will at least be able to give you some pricing options on tyres. His business is Advantage tyres out beside the Sockburn roundabout.

Ta for the headsup. A mate has recently started work as the sales manager for a tyre place over the East side of town so I'm going to flick him a TXT this morning.
Tama

Postby bugle on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:45am

New, they are the only thing holding your boat on the road
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Wed 8/Jul/09 8:50am

bugle wrote:New, they are the only thing holding your boat on the road

That's the theory I've always operated on in the past, but I'm feeling cheap so I thought doing a bit of homework might pay off.

For the past decade I've been running on the simple theory of replacing all my tyres at once with brand new Firehawk TZ100s that then get rotated every service. It has served me well in the past but costs around $650 - seeing there's sets of tyres of Tardme for $100-200 I thought I was worth asking.
Tama

Postby Spyder on Wed 8/Jul/09 9:32am

If you're planning on keeping said boat for sometime, and doing some reasonable miles I would think that throwing some new ones on it would be money well spent.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby ThingOne on Wed 8/Jul/09 9:48am

Always new tyres, set of 4. Dont muck about with tyres and brakes, your gonna need them in top order one day.

Also, second hand tyres can contain hidden damage not neccessarily visible to inspection.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Wed 8/Jul/09 9:52am

:withstupid:
I went through this with my Subie a few years ago. Wasn't looking second hand, but as an import it had an oddball tyre size (different profile I think) I was stuck with two worn and two half worn tyres - but wound up replacing all four to get a more available/standard size/profile. Set me back $1200 at the time but really glad I did looking back.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby nagem on Wed 8/Jul/09 9:53am

xcmtb wrote:I has a space saver you can have... completely unused, was replaced with a full size tyre.

I'll let you have it for the cost of shipping.

I have one too. Same deal.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 8/Jul/09 10:02am

ugly.

spend money on tyres, then suspension, then a pop-off valve, spinnaz and tunes.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 8/Jul/09 10:03am

Tama wrote:
Trail wrote:Clarky owns a tyre business these days. Give him a ring and he might do a you a good deal on some new tyres. :thumbsup: He will at least be able to give you some pricing options on tyres. His business is Advantage tyres out beside the Sockburn roundabout.

Ta for the headsup. A mate has recently started work as the sales manager for a tyre place over the East side of town so I'm going to flick him a TXT this morning.

not the EASTSIDE!!!!
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts