Question About Learning To Ski At Turoa

Postby xhon on Thu 2/Jul/09 8:28am

Hi, I am taking the kids to Turoa for the weekend, just wondering if I book a group ski lesson, is the lift pass included as well or is that going to cost extra, or does the lesson include the pass for the beginners area but excludes the high lifts? Anyone know of any sweet package deals going at the moment?

Thanks much
xhon
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Question About Learning To Ski At Turoa

Postby Tama on Thu 2/Jul/09 8:53am

Looking at the pricing I reckon lessons don't include lift passes: http://www.mtruapehu.com/winter/group_lessons/

I was checking out lessons at Mt Hutt before I burst an eardrum(!) and lesson + lift + gear was around the $100 mark - and I thought that was a really good deal.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 2/Jul/09 8:54am

Im pretty sure the lessons at Turoa include a free lower mountain pass.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby orangecruz on Thu 2/Jul/09 9:08am

I will be learing to ski at Turoa this year, and am booking my six year old into lessons as well (she will probably go to the school holiday programme). I have found the ski school really helpful, just call them, their number is on the web page
orangecruz
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby MtRuapehu on Fri 3/Jul/09 10:56am

Hi there, Tama is right - our group lessons don't include the lift pass but we do have some fantastic learn-to-ski packages that include lift passes, rental skis, boots and poles or snowboard and boots and a 1 hr 50 min group lesson. See http://www.mtruapehu.com/winter/package-deals/. Hope you and the kids have a great time up here! :)
MtRuapehu

Postby nzmatto on Fri 3/Jul/09 1:11pm

"learn" to ski? It is gravity fed, just turn the pointy part toward the car park, close your eyes and pray.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby MattV on Sat 4/Jul/09 12:20am

I'm going to have my first crack at snowboarding in a few weeks over at Whakapapa. Plus i'm being lent a board and some boots for free! And i'm told our accomodtion is stumbling distance from a pub of sorts.
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby MtRuapehu on Sat 4/Jul/09 10:40am

Hope you don't mind us jumping in here and giving a wee bit of advice. It's going to be hard to say this without sounding salesy but we're sure any good skier or snowboarder would agree: Please please please ensure that any borrowed or rented boots you use fit you perfectly, that borrowed or rented skis or boards are well maintained and no more than a few years old and that you get good advice, preferably from a professional, on learning to ski or board. We can't emphasise enough how important it is to your enjoyment on the slopes!

We see a lot of people trying to learn with really old or ill-fitting borrowed equipment and learning from friends. They're saving a little bit of money by doing that but they look so awkward and uncomfortable compared with those who are properly equipped and with a professional instructor. It's frustrating for us as we love skiing and snowboarding so are keen to share the enjoyment and get more people into it. We know there's a much greater take-up of the sport from those who use the packages because they have so much more fun from day one on the slopes.

Sorry if this reads like a sales pitch. It's not intended that way - we just wanted to put the advice out there for those who might find it useful. There's lots more good free advice for first-timers on our website, including what you'll need to bring with you etc. Just go to www.mtruapehu.com and look under Plan Your Visit.
MtRuapehu

Postby briiii on Sat 4/Jul/09 11:31am

MtRuapehu can I just say that what you have said doesn't really mesh with my experience of hiring gear from Turoa as part of one of your Learn to Board deals. Several years ago now (probably 2005) I hired gear and I was given a board that was too large for me (I'm 168cm tall and I'm pretty sure I was on a 159cm board), the gear was thrashed and the boards were still running the clip in bindings that don't seem to even exist anymore.

I am sure the gear has improved but I hope that you take your own advice when it comes to fitting people out in their hired gear. My boarding improved immensely with the purchase of my own board, bindings and boots. If only I hadn't sold them when I was low on cash one year :crazy:

Not trying to sound negative either, Turoa is great fun and a good place to learn :D
briiii
"I'm a bikesexual"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Middle North Island | Mount Ruapehu | New Zealand | Regions | Skiing | Snow | Taupo Region | Turoa - Latest Posts