Criterium Racing Tactics

Postby Dunnersdan on Fri 26/Jun/09 5:17pm

Tactics vs. Common Sense vs. Bike Handling & Pushing

Steve Tilford, who is a bike racing legend in both road and mountain biking, has a number of very interesting points to raise about criterium racing here in the US. His article posting is quite detailed but I think it does hit home several key points about what various pro teams and riders who want to be "pro" are doing in the races to disrupt race proceedings. Check out his blog here:

http://stevetilford.com/2009/06/24/tactics-vs-common-sense-vs-bike-handling-pushing/Image

Link to original article: http://poweredbyusana.blogspot.com/2009 ... ctics.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://www.poweredbyusana.blogspot.com/ ... lt?alt=rss
Original Published: 5:08pm Friday, 26th June 2009 - NZST
Dunnersdan
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Criterium Racing Tactics

Postby Fergie on Fri 26/Jun/09 6:52pm

Wow, Obviously guys riding like this won't be seen racing with the big fish in Europe.

Have made progress both ways going into a corner. Going the inside is risky. One crit Ewan MacMaster kept doing it to me so I flicked my knee into his bars the next time and surprisingly he stayed up but had learned the lesson.

The odd hip tap to let guys know your there is okay but good luck anyone trying to do this to push their way in.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 26/Jun/09 9:46pm

Nah, just reach for the guy's back pocket in front of you, grab a hold and wrench him back like you're in the Madison and make a break for it :)
Al_Bushman
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby musket on Fri 26/Jun/09 9:50pm

Doesn't Tilford have a reputation for being pretty aggro? I can't quite remember, but I'm sure he had a big anti-NZL rant a while back.
musket
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Fri 26/Jun/09 11:04pm

musket wrote:Doesn't Tilford have a reputation for being pretty aggro? I can't quite remember, but I'm sure he had a big anti-NZL rant a while back.

Yeh I nearly posted some anti-Tilford comments just before and thought better of it. He was whinging at the antics of certain cyclists at the Tour of Southland a couple of years ago and made a few comments on his blog which were rather silly and stupid. He was basically complaining about the negative riding of Roly's team, despite being ridden into the ground himself.

I don't rate him although he's probably been a good cyclist in the past.
Al_Bushman

Postby Kipper on Sat 27/Jun/09 9:22am

musket wrote:Doesn't Tilford have a reputation for being pretty aggro? I can't quite remember, but I'm sure he had a big anti-NZL rant a while back.

The impression I got was that he turned up expecting to be a big fish in a small pond and then got pissy when the pond was bigger than he thought.
Kipper

Postby Dunnersdan on Mon 29/Jun/09 5:32pm

Yes, that would be right, Tilford rode in Southland at the 06 Tour I think and did write some pretty shocking comments. I think he just speaks his mind and is sharing his own perspective on proceedings. He can be an aggressive rider and I have seen him ride over here in the US and have not had big issues with his riding. His reports on his blog are quite entertaining and gives a better insight into the US racing than most people. He is a colourful character and is still racing at 50 years old against guys half his age. That is impressive and he is getting on the podium regularly too, which must speak for itself regardless of age.
Dunnersdan

Postby Al_Bushman on Mon 29/Jun/09 10:18pm

Yeh - that sounds about right. Coming out and calling him a tosser seemed a bit extreme given I knew nothing about the guy which is why I held back. I just remember reading his blog without knowing anything about him and thinking... 'what a tosser' :p That's different to him actually being one - he's probably an okay guy!
Al_Bushman

Cycling | Daniel Carruthers | North America | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | United States of America | Vogs - Latest Posts