Interview With Hayden Roulston About His Tour De France Role

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Thu 25/Jun/09 11:23am

John from Enthuse - http://www.enthuse.co.nz - caught up with Hayden Roulston, who's just been announced on the Cervelo team for the Tour de France.

How has pro cycling life been this time around as part of the Cervelo Test Team?
For me personally this season is all about getting back into the swing of European life. A lot of changes so its a big readjusting phase for me, and my family. The racing has been great, battling against the best yet again, although I haven't been blessed with the best of luck to date. im sure thats about to change though!

What is your role within the team – look after Carlos Sastre etc.. TT’s?
Well to be honest I haven’t learnt to TT on the road yet. but I will get there.. in a straight line I am fast, but the corners, reaccelerating, judging how hard to push up a climb, over the top and down etc I still have to learn.. my role within the team is to assist Thor in the sprints, I'm basically the second last man. Whatever else is needed whether it be go in the break, stay with the big guys just goes with my job really.

What is the feeling within the team? Learning lots from Sastre - he is very professional and well liked?
There is a really good vibe amongst the team.. it's been a great year to date and yes Carlos is a super nice guy. It's nice to have such great leaders in Thor and Carlos. Both down to earth and great guys who do the best job they can do.. if they don't win, there is no excuses, they still thank you. When they win there is no egos, just a job well done.. I admire champions like that and having two in our team like these guys makes us all very lucky.

In the TdF you could do very well in the opening prologue – course should suit you – any thoughts?
The prologue could be great for me.. I wouldn’t say it suits me. When they are saying its built for contador though it normally means Bluff Hill or something of similar nature is in the middle of the course.. we will see. I will prepare well thats for sure.. TdF is the biggest race in the world. Every day is an opportunity to be discovered.. so I will try the best I can.

You have been part of some fantastic lead outs for Thor H – what is your role in a lead out?
I am the second last man in the leadout for Thor.. he is the strongest sprinter ever and its great to be in there mixing it up at the end of a race.. my job is perhaps the most important as I have to hold the high speed for up to 1km... basically its full gas for a kilometre. Once I pull off Brett Lancaster pulls him for about 250 metres at ridiculous power and then its all up to Thor. Thor ain't a fast sprinter, but a strong one.. any bit of wind, or slight rise and he will win..

How are the skins? Do you wear them to bed?
The skins are great. I wear them to bed every night. Ange really loves them, not! but I believe they do help the legs recover.. I wear them often as every bit of recovery I can get is only aiding me in what I do.

There will be a full article about Hayden Roulston in the next Endurance Sport - out on the 6th of July.

Thank you to Skins for giving us this opportunity to talk to Hayden.
hayden Evans Pass cropped.jpeg
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Interview With Hayden Roulston About His Tour De France Role

Postby Oli on Thu 25/Jun/09 2:13pm

Good stuff! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Tugboat on Thu 25/Jun/09 6:10pm

Awesome for Roly! Look forward to cheering him and Julz on in the wee small hours next month. :)

How has Roly managed to maintain his relationship with Skins when CTT is sponsored by 2XU compression??
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby elpo on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:50pm

go the mighty man from Mid Canterbury. we will be watching 4 sure
elpo
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby mtfcrulz on Mon 29/Jun/09 4:02pm

From "Round the Gorges" to the TDF. We'll be watching in July - Kiwis can fly!
mtfcrulz
"I'm a B grade rider in a D grade body"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby snr_merv on Mon 29/Jun/09 4:55pm

Tugboat wrote: How has Roly managed to maintain his relationship with Skins when CTT is sponsored by 2XU compression??

I am also curious!
Good luck with the tour Roly :thumbsup:
snr_merv
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Cycling | Europe | France | New Zealand | News | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts