Wide Handlebars = Good!

Postby inzane on Sat 20/Jun/09 6:11pm

I have been meaning to change my handlebars for the last few months.  I believe that handlebars have a limited life, and that 3 years of thrashing my current ones was long enough. The current bars are Ritchey WCS Carbon with about a 40mm rise and 660mm wide, which is narrower than what I would like.

I finally got around to putting new handlebars on my 5 Spot last night. My new bars are a nice pair of Kore Torsion Race bars. 800mm wide (at the moment) with a 20mm rise. Had a play on them today and the difference is amazing!! So much more lateral balance and so much more control of the front wheel!!

I spent many years riding a hardtail with a short down hill stem and 710 wide Azonic bars, and really like the feel of these. When I got the 5 Spot I got the Ritchey bars without really trying them out, and had not realised that they were a bit narrower, and so put them on the bike and rode. Recently I have been riding a number of more challenging tracks more regularly, and I have been looking for a bit more control. Putting on a wider bar is definitely going to help that. It might not help me squeeze through the gaps between trees that my current handlebars only just fitted through, butit will give me more control everywhere else!

At 800mm wide it looks like overkill at the moment, and I think I will cut them down a little. I currently have the grips sitting at about 750mm wide at the moment, and that is feeling about right. I will try that for a couple of rides before they get the chop! Mmm new wide bars = good!!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Link to original article: http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... bars-good/
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/feed/
Original Published: 6:08pm Saturday, 20th June 2009 - NZST
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Re: Wide Handlebars = Good!

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 20/Jun/09 6:17pm

With a Turner, once you're happy with the width, try a flat bar (as they have quite long head-tubes) , I've just fitted a 730 (cut-down) gravity flat bar (10 degree sweep) its made a huge difference to the handling combined with going to a 70mm stem, rather than my normal 50mm choice
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby DropKick on Sat 20/Jun/09 6:19pm

You're so Sam Hill Zane ;)

I hate them. 710 for me. And I've got gangly chicken arms too :blink:
DropKick
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 20/Jun/09 6:21pm

Sounds like you got Womens size bars to start with.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 20/Jun/09 6:22pm

DropKick wrote:You're so Sam Hill Zane ;)

Put some 750's on Greg, ride them for a month (ie more than 1 ride) I'm sure that once you get used to them , you'll love it (I wasn't convinced, but they work sweet) especially where the runs are quite fast
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby DropKick on Sat 20/Jun/09 6:26pm

pushbikerider wrote:
DropKick wrote:You're so Sam Hill Zane ;)

Put some 750's on Greg, ride them for a month (ie more than 1 ride) I'm sure that once you get used to them , you'll love it (I wasn't convinced, but they work sweet) especially where the runs are quite fast

Yea I probably would. I'm referring to Mr Jonos 800's as my reference. wrong wrong wrong I say.

I'm not about to go blow a couple hundred on experimenting with new bars at the moment for the DHR, last time she saw dirt was at roto nats :blush: , the best the reign is seeing nowadays is camuls wind trainer. ahh lots more riding next summer :thumbsup:
DropKick
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby slowMTB on Sat 20/Jun/09 6:45pm

Wide bars FTW

To be honest Zane I hadn't really thought about it until I rode a friends bike and realised my FR bike runs wide bars stock. I got on friends bike and thought that it felt weird, couldn't put my finger on it until he commented on how wide my bars were. Long story short, my XC bike now runs wider bars and my friend is a convert :thumbsup:

As with all changes, you need to give it a while to get used to / properly evaluate if it is a change for the good. Happy trails :)
slowMTB
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Stun on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:07pm

I really don't like my 710mm bars.
680's would be ideal I think... I'm just not overly keen on spending $'s on a carbon blade for my hacksaw.
Being lazy is something or... rather... :huh: :blush:
Stun
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:11pm

Stun wrote:I really don't like my 710mm bars.
680's would be ideal I think... I'm just not overly keen on spending $'s on a carbon blade for my hacksaw.
Being lazy is something or... rather... :huh: :blush:

Yep them carbon hacksaw blades can be expensive.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:20pm

Wide bars are a fashion statement.
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:40pm

SlackBoy wrote:Wide bars are a fashion statement.

Please, you're just keeping up the old school fashion statement with your cut-down bars
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:42pm

You mean my cut down to 708mm bars. I don't own any other cut bars, just stock width ones
SlackBoy

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:44pm

SlackBoy wrote:You mean my cut down to 708mm bars. I don't own any other cut bars, just stock width ones

Stock width narrow, jei boi bars
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 20/Jun/09 7:53pm

On my jeyboi bike. I HATE!!!! wide bars for climbing.
SlackBoy

Postby CrustyMTB on Sat 20/Jun/09 8:03pm

I hate wide bars on toight (like a toiger) singletrack. Nothing worse than JRA next thing you're wrapped round a tree due to the girth of your bars...

Wide bars are for wussies...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Mountain Biking Zane | Trail Riding | Vogs - Latest Posts