Re: Motorcycle

Postby mfw on Fri 19/Jun/09 6:56am

twinshock750 wrote:...
1989 Yamaha "OW01" FZR750R
1976 TZ750C F750 road racer

OW01 nice! This was serious exotica in it's day wasn't it - made the RC30 look cheap!
But basically a 2 stroke man eh?, nothing like the smell of Castrol R! What's the power band on the TZ750 like?, some of those things are evil (in a kind of good way) :crazy:
mfw
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 19/Jun/09 10:34am

twinshock750 wrote:
Current Bikes in ascending order of capacity and Bling!
1982 YZ125J Yamaha Road racer (crosser motor shoe horned into a GT125 Chassis - harder than you may think!)
1988 TZ250U Yamaha GP road racer
1979 TZ350F McIntosh GP road racer
1989 Yamaha "OW01" FZR750R
[b]1976 TZ750C F750 road racer (nasty bit or work but soooo much fun) all done in Kenny Roberts Yamaha USA bumble bee colour scheme - do a google search on TZ750 if you don't know what one is. A TZ
750 held the NZ m/c land speed record at 180 miles an hour, set in the 1970's by Paul Mclaughlin - stood for many years.
[/b]

I think we need to get married. I can take the TZ in the divorce settlement.

there is an OWO1 for sale presently in Chch: (or was recently): that yours?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Fri 19/Jun/09 3:45pm

whoa :love: nice collection budday
dicks-naughty-account
"WRANGLER BUTTS DRIVE ME NUTS"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby twinshock750 on Fri 19/Jun/09 10:13pm

dicks-naughty-account wrote:whoa :love: nice collection budday

Thanks guys - I've gone for quality over quantity and yes I do like
1) Yamahas
2) 2 strokes
3) GP bikes - especially 2 stroke Yamaha ones! The OW is an aberation. But was the only street bike I was really interested in owning as it was literally built to go racing and then made street legal.

The OW is not one the one on Trade me for $29,000. Mine is fully original very tidy and road legal still. Has only done 14,000km. They were 12,000 pounds new in the UK in 1989 (eek!). An RC30 Honda was $17,500 kiwi I recall in 88/89. Rode one of those and it was great as well. But was a Honda.

In the family are another 6 factory built Yamaha race bikes includng 2 more TZ750's, 2 x TZ350's and a TR3.

With regards to the 750? Anyone could ride one, very few can really race one! I do not try to ride mine hard as it will bite, but is quite easy to ride. In fact I am quicker at all circuits on my 350 and even again on the 250.

The750's are usually NOT peaky, and will drive from 4,000rpm out of tight corners, but as my brother says about riding his, you don't so much pass TZ350's (which are a 240km/h bike in their own right) that may be on the circuit with you as avoid them!

The motor is just so good, and you have wicked noise to go with the hand of god acceleration and above 8,000rpm things are happening very quickly - it will tank slap when you hook 4th gear which is very cool. Pity the handling is not up to the engine - Mine being one of the last of the twinhsock ones built. The next generation which went to Monoshock are much better handling in comparison and the one I have ridden was one of the nicest bikes I have every ridden. BUT mine has some very good NZ race history as does my brother's bikes and any 750 is better than no 750...

What is really interesting is that when you own one (apart from the massive woodie you get when you get on it) is that there are a lot of people who try to tell you how to ride one.....but they never have themselves!

Arsing about at Puke on the 750.

Here's a couple of shots of the engine and pipes for all you stroker fans.
twinshock750
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby surfbum on Sat 20/Jun/09 8:16am

:)
SP1 1.JPG
surfbum
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby klxracer on Sat 20/Jun/09 10:41am

Love anything with two wheels... currently tooling around on an SV650S and loving it. Doesn't have the raw stonk of the thou, but is a lot snappier through corners, and still pulls nice stands through until about 4th.

Used to be mostly into motocross, and still tempted to go crossover and get into a super motard, something like a KTM 525, get some nice dual purpose tyres, ride to Upper Hutt, through Karapoti to Perhams Road, and back down to the coast... great Sunday morning ride.
klxracer
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Sat 20/Jun/09 10:52am

surfbum wrote::)

very likely one of those will be my next bike. An SP2 though. that I think is an SP1?
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 18 years 7 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Sun 21/Jun/09 10:51am

hay chickie, weekend is almost over and you still haven't posted pics of skids, wheelies and barrel rolls on the cagiva :satan: :satan: :satan:
dicks-naughty-account

Postby big_daddy_jj on Sun 21/Jun/09 11:13am

That pipe work is amazing! Did you make it or did you get it fabbed up?
big_daddy_jj
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Sun 21/Jun/09 11:44am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-224487907.htm
I'm a bit skeptical about this. 85,000kms on a 4cyl 250? am i the only one that thinks the price is a bit steep for something that might need a rebuild within 5000kms?
dicks-naughty-account

Postby Chickie on Sun 21/Jun/09 2:10pm

dicks-naughty-account wrote:hay chickie, weekend is almost over and you still haven't posted pics of skids, wheelies and barrel rolls on the cagiva :satan: :satan: :satan:

I know :( it's all tucked up under its cover. Been out watching bucket and kart racing - fun in slightly wet conditions. I'm not sure this is going to be the weekend for pics either, my bad :paranoid: :(
Chickie
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby twinshock750 on Sun 21/Jun/09 7:13pm

big_daddy_jj wrote:That pipe work is amazing! Did you make it or did you get it fabbed up?

Wobbly Wright built this set on my 750. Wobbly had a big hand in the BSL500. The sections are laser cut, rolled and then welded. the #1 pipe is 27-28 sections!

Regarding Larry Spicer: I did a bit of checking - looks like he had pretty well much finished racing his 125 Honda when I was just starting. I was at many of the national level race meetings up here he would have come up for. The programme from my first race meeting had him riding a KR250. I know the owner of the DB1RS Bimta he raced. (I think it is the same one) and I have photos of it from about 87.
twinshock750
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Chickie on Sat 27/Jun/09 3:08pm

Just been out of the bikes with motors. The bf was riding the cagiva and noticed something not quite right when he indicated to turn left the rear indicator was correct but the front one wasn't, and vice versa - DOH!!!

Some fettling when we got home sorted it but it really shouldn't have got a WOF like that :crazy:

I still haven't managed to get some good pics of the bike but here is a dorky one for people to laugh at :blush:
Cagiva_Deb.jpg
Chickie

Postby dicks-naughty-account on Sat 27/Jun/09 3:20pm

:D same thing happened to my mates scooter. 'cept it was because the motorbike shop crashed it :lol: never quite went the same after that. the shop never gave him a straight answer as to what happened :D

cool bike, and i see you've got some fancy gear :thumbsup: have you been for a ride on it yet? i imagine its a bit more of a hand full than the scorpio.

oh, and, do a wheelie auh
dicks-naughty-account

Postby Chickie on Sat 27/Jun/09 3:24pm

I've only ridden it the once a couple of weeks ago - just around a car park so couldn't get a sense of it's full power - but I loved it.

I do have some good riding gear but mainly because I am such a safety sam.

I can confirm that the bike has been wheelied but the footpegs haven't been scraped ... yet
Chickie

Motorcycles | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts