American Cities Getting Razed And Returned To Nature

Postby Tama on Tue 16/Jun/09 9:11am

Wow... when I first read the original article heading I thought "Bah, melodramatic reporting" - but check this out:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/fina ... rvive.html wrote:Dozens of US cities may have entire neighbourhoods bulldozed as part of drastic "shrink to survive" proposals being considered by the Obama administration to tackle economic decline.

The government looking at expanding a pioneering scheme in Flint, one of the poorest US cities, which involves razing entire districts and returning the land to nature.

Local politicians believe the city must contract by as much as 40 per cent, concentrating the dwindling population and local services into a more viable area.

The radical experiment is the brainchild of Dan Kildee, treasurer of Genesee County, which includes Flint.

Having outlined his strategy to Barack Obama during the election campaign, Mr Kildee has now been approached by the US government and a group of charities who want him to apply what he has learnt to the rest of the country.

Mr Kildee said he will concentrate on 50 cities, identified in a recent study by the Brookings Institution, an influential Washington think-tank, as potentially needing to shrink substantially to cope with their declining fortunes.

Most are former industrial cities in the "rust belt" of America's Mid-West and North East. They include Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Memphis.

In Detroit, shattered by the woes of the US car industry, there are already plans to split it into a collection of small urban centres separated from each other by countryside.

"The real question is not whether these cities shrink – we're all shrinking – but whether we let it happen in a destructive or sustainable way," said Mr Kildee. "Decline is a fact of life in Flint. Resisting it is like resisting gravity."

And if "Flint, Michigan" rings any bells that's probably because it's Mike Moore's old town from "Roger and Me"
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: American Cities Getting Razed And Returned To Nature

Postby iodi on Tue 16/Jun/09 9:37am

I like the criteria for selecting which cities will get the "razed and returned to nature" treatment:
Forbes wrote:To be direct: If Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel or John Mellencamp has written a melancholy song about your city, it's probably on this list.

iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Jono on Tue 16/Jun/09 11:20am

on the same topic, some deteriorating roads in michigan are being reverted back to gravel to save money.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby ryancrawcour on Tue 16/Jun/09 11:21am

What is interesting is what it must cost to properly "raise" a city to return it to nature. you would have to lift all roads, basically all infrastructure. otherwise do they plan on leaving Ghost Towns all over the place that will decay, to some extent, over time.
ryancrawcour

znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Tue 16/Jun/09 11:34am

my recollection is that "city" is pretty much a "suburb" in the US? Interesting idea...
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby happybaboon on Tue 16/Jun/09 11:36am

Hopefully it'll improve the wild rabbit population :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wIsOZehMrw
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Tama on Tue 16/Jun/09 11:37am

sifter wrote:my recollection is that "city" is pretty much a "suburb" in the US? Interesting idea...

They're talking about breaking Detriot up into small urban centres - which is probably how it was 50 years ago anyway.

I think it's great that some people in power aren't obsessed with constant growth/ urban sprawl.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby XCrazy on Tue 16/Jun/09 11:49am

I guess nature has already started on New Orleans for them :huh:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby RussS on Tue 16/Jun/09 12:06pm

Would werk bloody good in Aucks au?

they are making cities smaller - we are trying to make bigger .... hmmmmmm
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 16/Jun/09 12:33pm

XCrazy wrote:I guess nature has already started on New Orleans for them :huh:

in the latest Cycle World (July) Peter Egan takes a new Triumph Bonneville SE to New Orleans and writes a story about it. Fascinating. He says he was expecting lawlessness and devastation but didnt find it really.

Now I'd like a Bonneville as well as a Street Triple R, and an RC51 and RC45.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby ryancrawcour on Tue 16/Jun/09 12:42pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:Now I'd like a Bonneville as well as a Street Triple R, and an RC51 and RC45.

why ... with the 100km/h speed limit in NZ u'd never get the Street Triple R out of first! better off with a 50Cc Vespa!
ryancrawcour

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 16/Jun/09 12:46pm

ryancrawcour wrote:
Henry Dorset Case wrote:Now I'd like a Bonneville as well as a Street Triple R, and an RC51 and RC45.

why ... with the 100km/h speed limit in NZ u'd never get the Street Triple R out of first! better off with a 50Cc Vespa!

I've got two words for you Kim: "Track days rule"
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby RussS on Tue 16/Jun/09 1:18pm

Like the RCs, but dunno about the Bonneville. Rode a CB100R for a while - always like Honda homologation specials Image
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 16/Jun/09 1:48pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
ryancrawcour wrote:

I've got two words for you Kim: "Track days rule"

Thats 3 :sly:
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Economy | North America | Politics | Regions | Sifting | United States of America - Latest Posts