Baby Boomers Apologise To University Graduates

Postby Tama on Fri 12/Jun/09 6:31am

About time too, but I bet they still expect us to support them through retirement :hmmm:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124458192890699487.html wrote:In 1969, baby boomers took podiums at college graduations around the country and pledged to redefine the world in their image.

Forty years later, they have, and now they are apologizing for it. Their collective advice for the class of 2009: Don't be like us.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, 60 years old, told the graduating class of Butler University last month that boomers have been "self-absorbed, self-indulgent and all too often just plain selfish."

New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman, 55, told Grinnell College graduates in Iowa that his was "the grasshopper generation, eating through just about everything like hungry locusts."

And Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet, at 44 barely a boomer himself, told seniors at Colorado College that the national creed of one generation standing on the shoulders of the next was at risk "because our generation has not been faithful enough to our grandparents' example."

The baby boom generation represents roughly 78 million people born from 1946 to 1964. Far from the hope and idealism they expressed when they were coming of age, boomer commencement speakers today -- in the wake of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression -- are striking a tone marked with self-recrimination and gloom.

But their apologies fell flat with some students, who wondered why the speakers weren't urging their fellow boomers to do more to clean up the mess they created.

"They have been pretty selfish, but they're still going to be around," said Ben Slaton, a Butler graduate. "They need to do their part."
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Baby Boomers Apologise To University Graduates

Postby Wobbler on Fri 12/Jun/09 7:28am

We should borrow money to top up their superfund so they don't have to sell all their investment properties :)
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Jono on Fri 12/Jun/09 11:00am

meh. fuck'em. I'm looking forward to burning down empty and unsaleable rental properties to keep warm.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 12/Jun/09 7:37pm

too little too late.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Economy | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts