The Brothers Sharratt Racing Updates

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 9/Jun/09 10:17am

The NZ MTB Team selected for the 2009 UCI World Champs in September is unusual in the high level of family representation it contains. The Peter's family have Alexa and Dirk covering the Junior Cross Country cats; the Masters brothers Wyn and Eddie popular reps in Elite Downhill and Four-Cross; and the Sharratt brothers Brendon and Nathon making NZ Team selection for the first time (and together) in Elite Cross Country and Four-Cross.

However, fate has cruelly stepped in to take one of those family combinations off the books for this year. Nathon suffered a pretty severe ankle injury at the end of May which will require some well managed healing time, taking away his World Champs dream at least for 2009.

Nathon was competing in a big motocross event in Christchurch and his day had been going well with two wins and a second place. In the last race of the day he came around a corner to find the yellow flag up for a crashed rider - he slowed down for the flag and the next thing he knew was dragging myself off the track. Nathon felt as if he had been hit from behind by another bike which sent him sideways. "I instantly felt something in my ankle break so once off the track I didn't move any further"

Seven x-rays in hospital later it was confirmed broken, and Nathon is now in a cast and crutches for the next six weeks. Doctors advice is that he does no riding for a further six weeks after that. Nathon is realistic about the healing process: "It needs to heal properly the first time so I will obey the doctors orders". "Obviously its pretty upsetting as it has been a long term goal to compete in the World MTB Champs, but these are the risks we take along the way".

Meanwhile, older brother Brendon is getting on with the business of preparing for the World Champs on the other side of the world. Brendon flew out to the UK in May and has been competing at events there, before moving to Europe and a higher level of competition and then into his final training phase for the Worlds event in September.

Brendon has been doing well too - finishing 7th in the 3rd round of the British XC Series held at Margan Park in Wales. The next weekend he won the Open Mens category at the British Marathon National Championships (he couldn't ride Elite due to not being a UK citizen), and his time would have placed him 6th in Elite. "I'm happy where my form is at the moment - I need to develop a bit more speed, my endurance is good along with my power which I'm happy with for the Worlds course".

On his brother's injury Brendon is also realistic: "I'm quite gutted for him but I hope he gets motivated to succeed again. I've been in his situation many times and I've come out more motivated".

Brendon has just spent the weekend spectating and supporting the Kiwis at the Fort William World Cup, and stays there to race the Scottish Cross Country Champs this coming weekend, June 14th. Then onto Europe for the following events:

June 21st Racer Bike Cup, Winterthur
June 28th Racer Bike Cup, Engelberg
July 5th French Cup, Les Orres
July 19th Racer Bike Cup, Plaffiene

Issued for MTBNZ Performance
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: The Brothers Sharratt Racing Updates

Postby johnL on Tue 9/Jun/09 11:11am

hyjack but also the Avery family of Monique and Patrick at worlds. Genetics and environmental effects works with all these family represented. cool
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

4X/ BSX Racing | British Isles | Canterbury | Christchurch | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Epic Riding | Europe | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | News | Regions | Wales - Latest Posts