Canterbury Most Depressed Region

Postby phunk on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:32am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10576847

Canterbury is the most depressed region in the country, with 191,000 people prescribed medication for depression in 2007, the latest year for which a breakdown by district health board is available.

Explains alot really.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Canterbury Most Depressed Region

Postby radiusq on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:36am

I dunno what people have got to be depressed about. The trails down here are wicked.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby slowMTB on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:53am

These days Doctors give out anti-depressant pills like they are candy. Over prescribing is the problem, they only calm the patient, NOT fix the problem.

Throw away all the useless tech shiat people get exposed to and get them out doors so they can smell the roses and society will be better for it.
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby herbman on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:58am

radiusq wrote:I dunno what people have got to be depressed about. The trails down here are wicked.

it could be down to the new anti boy racer laws, i'd get a little depressed if some one was going to crush my shit box of a car.
herbman
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 8/Jun/09 9:58am

Yeah, it's consumerism gone mad. I know of one individual that feigned the signs of depression with his doctor just so he could try prozac.

Myself, I'll never need to pop a pill whilst I have 6inches of travel and a snowboard :)
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:03am

more likely its due to all the fucking noise of the boyracers braaarping up our roads... they're driving everybody to depression.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:08am

My serious guess is that this is because of the utter monotony of cold grey skies at certain times of the year, it can be pretty oppressive. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Tama on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:10am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:My serious guess is that this is because of the utter monotony of cold grey skies at certain times of the year, it can be pretty oppressive. :)

+1

It certain pays to get out from under the grey clag and get some exercise :)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:14am

Tama wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:My serious guess is that this is because of the utter monotony of cold grey skies at certain times of the year, it can be pretty oppressive. :)

+1

That's crazy talk.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:35am

Tama wrote:

+1

Was lovely out sat morning. Not at all depressing...
IMG_4193.JPG
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Thermo on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:36am

slowMTB wrote:These days Doctors give out anti-depressant pills like they are candy.

Do you have some research you could show us that indicates this?
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:41am

Thermo wrote:
slowMTB wrote:These days Doctors give out anti-depressant pills like they are candy.

Do you have some research you could show us that indicates this?

I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that agrees with SlowMTB. For most people there are other ways to manage it, but first port of call appears to be handing out pills.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Thermo on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:53am

radiusq wrote:Myself, I'll never need to pop a pill whilst I have 6inches of travel and a snowboard :)

That's because you don't have a mental illness. If you did, then you'd know you had a flash bike and snowbard but you still wouldn't give a shit.

My wife was diagnosed with PPD after our first child and I can assure you that if she could choose to not have depression, she would. People with depression don't do it for the lulz. However, most people don't have a clue how to deal with someone with a mental illness so they tiptoe around it and perhaps poke fun at it.
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:57am

Thermo wrote:
radiusq wrote:Myself, I'll never need to pop a pill whilst I have 6inches of travel and a snowboard :)

That's because you don't have a mental illness. If you did, then you'd know you had a flash bike and snowbard but you still wouldn't give a shit.

My wife was diagnosed with PPD after our first child and I can assure you that if she could choose to not have depression, she would. People with depression don't do it for the lulz. However, most people don't have a clue how to deal with someone with a mental illness so they tiptoe around it and perhaps poke fun at it.

great post :thumbsup:
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Mon 8/Jun/09 10:58am

Tinkerbell wrote:
Thermo wrote:

great post :thumbsup:

x2 :thumbsup:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Canterbury | Health | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts