Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 1/Jun/09 2:56pm

Okay, so for a while I have been getting some wicked chaffing/sores while out riding that burns like a mo-fo when I have a shower after a ride. During the ride I know it is there, but it ain't so bad as along as I keep moving. But in the shower. Ouchies!

For a while some shorts were fine and some weren't, now it doesn't seem to matter what shorts I wear! I even tried a completely new pair and am suffering.

Interestingly it is only one side, any ideas of what it could be? Or more importantly, how to solve it?
way_downsouth
User avatar
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage

Postby Chanting on Mon 1/Jun/09 3:04pm

What kinda shorts do you wear, baggies, with or without liners, lycra?
For long races and rides i use vaseline for the areas where i know chafe.
Otherwise Ive heard good stuff about chafe cream but have never actually tried it.
Chanting
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage

Postby Oli on Mon 1/Jun/09 3:04pm

If it's not just a straight-forward friction abrasion it sounds like you might have a bit of what the Americans call "jock itch", which is a fungal rash. You might need to get a fungicide to clear it up, then use anti-bacterial chamois cream in your shorts every ride to avoid future abrasion/outbreaks. Be religious about cleaning your shorts and the "area" too...
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage

Postby way_downsouth on Mon 1/Jun/09 3:06pm

Chanting wrote:What kinda shorts do you wear, baggies, with or without liners, lycra?
For long races and rides i use vaseline for the areas where i know chafe.
Otherwise Ive heard good stuff about chafe cream but have never actually tried it.


Lycra shorts with a chamois. I had a great run with some old NZO deanolites, I got some new ones which weren't so good (by this stage it didn't matter) and also had some Tinelli bibs today which didn't help the cause either?
way_downsouth
User avatar
"Average at best"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby Chanting on Mon 1/Jun/09 3:11pm

yea give the vaseline a shot if its just a friction thing, feels weird for awhile but once your on the bike its all good. If its not just friction, listen to oli.
Chanting
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Mon 1/Jun/09 3:12pm

"Antichafe" seems to work well :thumbsup: . Too much is better than not enought :paranoid: (Be warned - it smells disturbingly like Deep Heat!!)

Also - if you've gained/lost a reasonable amount of weight it can change the way your shorts fit? :huh: Just a thought...

Also (as usual) Oli has a very valid point :)
Scaredy_Cat
User avatar
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby taylormade on Mon 1/Jun/09 3:18pm

Keywin Shammy cream is the bomb, lasts for ages too. You can get it from all good bike shops. :)
taylormade
User avatar
"60% of the time it works everytime"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage

Postby duzall on Mon 1/Jun/09 3:20pm

That doesn't sound good-I had something similar happen a while ago, it cost me 3 weekends of riding which did not help my generally fragile state of sanity. I ended up needing to use antifungal tablets to fix it-which I needed a prescription for, so I would recommend seeing a doctor (at least you might get some idea of what it is and get it fixed fast). Some of the other things that might work could include steroid creams, again you probably need a prescription for those.

To prevent it-try some more "gentle" detergents (I'm using ecover at the moment and it seems ok so far) and make sure they're rinsed off properly (this is what caused my problems). Obviously, change out of the bike shorts ASAP after riding. Another thing to try is to put the shorts out in the sun for a while-this is apparently supposed to kill bacteria. If it's chafing, you could try chamois cream.
duzall
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby nzmatto on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:08pm

If it's a bacteria thing, then try Micreme-H from a chemist. the H stands for hydocordizone (or however you spell it) and that clears up the rubbed raw bits real quick like, but also means the chemist may (should but often don't) ask for your name & address). There is also plain Micreme (no H) that will work only on the bacteria.

I've been really lucky. I have never had any rubbing / sores / etc. The only thing I probably do different to normal folk is that I just could not quite bring myself to ride without undies, so I guess that keeps a certain amount of the little gremlins away from the chamois.

Oh, and if it is a bacteria thing. Clean ALL your underwear or anything else that touches these tender areas in HOT water for two weeks after the infection is clear (otherwise you'll be doing the same thing a month or so later).
nzmatto
User avatar
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby happybaboon on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:16pm

nzmatto wrote:I've been really lucky. I have never had any rubbing / sores / etc. The only thing I probably do different to normal folk is that I just could not quite bring myself to ride without undies, so I guess that keeps a certain amount of the little gremlins away from the chamois.

Really?! Undies + chamois would be a receipe for chaffing disaster I'd have thought...
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby musket on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:18pm

If it's not fungus, and is one side (where you're bearing weight), it's very possibly related to posture.

I get the same thing after lots of road kms (never on mtb) due to the damage/imbalance in my spine and hips.

I use chamois cream (which increases friction at the chamois, meaning movement occurs not between skin and chamois but short and saddle) and found that lower profile chamois were better. I put this down to the fact the yawing produced by my back / pelvis rocking was exacerbated by the additional room to move with thicker chamois, and also the bunching in the material caused by this. It helps a little, but if it's weight bearing, then it's not so much the chamois rubbing, as the sit bone putting way to much uneven pressure on the skin an tissue.

I'd recommend eliminating the fungal possibility with a quick trip to the Dr / chemist, and if it persists, then seeing a qualified physio, who can assess the cause of the problem - Glenn Muirhead at Capitol Sport Med. Once you're armed with the knowledge he provides, go see Oli for a fit, and do your rehab.

I sympathise - it fucking hurts.

Matto - you're incorrect. The undies are going to accumulate sweat (and heat up) more during long rides, so likely make it worse. You're lucky.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby Oli on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:19pm

happybaboon wrote:
nzmatto wrote:I've been really lucky. I have never had any rubbing / sores / etc. The only thing I probably do different to normal folk is that I just could not quite bring myself to ride without undies, so I guess that keeps a certain amount of the little gremlins away from the chamois.

Really?! Undies + chamois would be a receipe for chaffing disaster I'd have thought...

Yes, the seams are a disaster. It's purely good luck you haven't suffered Matto, but it's NOT advice you should be giving out.
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby happybaboon on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:22pm

Also be sure to go commando in your every day life for epic successfulness.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby taylormade on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:23pm

Oli wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
nzmatto wrote:I've been really lucky. I have never had any rubbing / sores / etc. The only thing I probably do different to normal folk is that I just could not quite bring myself to ride without undies, so I guess that keeps a certain amount of the little gremlins away from the chamois.

Really?! Undies + chamois would be a receipe for chaffing disaster I'd have thought...

Yes, the seams are a disaster. It's purely good luck you haven't suffered Matto, but it's NOT advice you should be giving out.


It could be a Man Thong he wears!!!!! No seems there just a ruddy strap up your arse!!!!
taylormade
User avatar
"60% of the time it works everytime"
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Burning Undercarriage (looking For Chaffing Solution)

Postby happybaboon on Mon 1/Jun/09 4:29pm

taylormade wrote:
Oli wrote:
happybaboon wrote:
nzmatto wrote:I've been really lucky. I have never had any rubbing / sores / etc. The only thing I probably do different to normal folk is that I just could not quite bring myself to ride without undies, so I guess that keeps a certain amount of the little gremlins away from the chamois.

Really?! Undies + chamois would be a receipe for chaffing disaster I'd have thought...

Yes, the seams are a disaster. It's purely good luck you haven't suffered Matto, but it's NOT advice you should be giving out.


It could be a Man Thong he wears!!!!! No seems there just a ruddy strap up your arse!!!!

:lol:
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Cycling | Health | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Sifting | Trail Riding - Latest Posts

Who is online

56 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 54 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop