Calendar Event: June 17, 2009

Waiwhero Night Ride

Postby Captain_S on Sun 31/May/09 7:07pm

After having such a fun two hours of carnage and mahem last time we did it, A group of us are going to head over and do another night ride over at Waiwhero South on June 10th. Its about a 2 hour ride, not very technical, but very flowing and fun. Suitable for most riders with a little bit of fitness and staying power for short climbs. If anyone out there is keen to join us we will be meeting at the carpark at the summit of Edwards Road at the entrance to Ridge Road at 6:30pm Some of us will be carpooling, and if anyone want in, needs directions or wants to follow us out, then let me know.
Captain_S
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Re: Waiwhero Night Ride

Postby Captain_S on Tue 9/Jun/09 6:37pm

Now postponed to the 17th June due to weather
Captain_S

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 10/Jun/09 8:56am

Waiwhero South ? Tell me more. I'm from Ch-Ch but spend quite a bit of time up that way as my sister lives in Ngatimoti. Just checking if this ride is one we've done defore or not. So... where, how long, style of ride, profile etc, etc would be great. Gonna be up there in Sept for my neices 5th and it's my 40th so to celebrate we're planning a ride from Ngatimoti to Takaka via the Rameka but are looking for another couple of "new" rides to do as well. Anything you could tell us would be much appreciated. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Captain_S on Wed 10/Jun/09 9:56am

Here is a link to the Nelson MTB Club Website page that has the map and details of the south side that we will be riding
http://www.nelsonmountainbikeclub.org.nz/waiwheroforest

And here is the link to the same for the North side which we will ride another night
http://www.nelsonmountainbikeclub.org.n ... eader$2255

Both have maps and descriptions

The tracks on the north side are all forestry roads and firebreaks, nothing more than a grade 3, but good excersize

The tracks on the south side are a lot of diferent singletracks built by diferent people and each with their own flavour.
Once again, nothing technicaly hard about them, and no steep climbs, but good flowy singletrack.
Only thing to watch is that they are quite narrow in places and banging handlebars on trees as you go past is pert of the game as I found out!
These tracks are a bit of a hidden gem. You will probably need a guide or GPS the first time you ride them as they are quite spread out and not that easy to find some of the starts.
Captain_S

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 10/Jun/09 10:31am

Cheers for that, great info. I've done the north side a couple of times before but didn't even know those tracks were there at South. Years ago we used to go into the forest from the layby at the top of Waiwhero Rd (about 1/2 way between the Edwards Rd turnoff and Ngatimoti). It's been logged now and there's a big sign on the gate saying it's Carter Holt land. It used to be good fun in there. There's some great riding to be had in those fire breaks. We'll give it a crack. How are they going at Kaiteri with the MTB park ? Any news ? Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:
DogsBollocks

Postby Tama on Wed 10/Jun/09 11:07am

I've added this to the calendar :)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Captain_S on Wed 10/Jun/09 11:45am

Kaiteriteri is progressing well
Guy Trainor and the boys have their weekly "Sunday Church" there and as such have just completes "Swamp Monster" which I have yet to go and GPS for them.
They have a blogspot now... here is the link!

http://kaiteriterimtbpark.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Steve
Captain_S

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 10/Jun/09 12:02pm

That, my friend, looks clucking fannytastic :p :p Will have to look you lot up when we're up next time and join you at "church" one Sunday to lend a hand and maybe get a wee taster !!!! Great stuff.

Can see the Main Rd Riwaka being a bit busier this Xmas :crazy: :blink:
DogsBollocks

Postby Captain_S on Wed 10/Jun/09 1:01pm

No worries, just drop us a line and come and join the fun!
Captain_S

Postby Captain_S on Mon 15/Jun/09 9:33pm

Ride is on this Wednesday (17 June) as planned 6.30Pm at the Edward Road Saddle
Captain_S

Postby DogsBollocks on Mon 31/Aug/09 3:30pm

Hey Captain. We're up there this weekend. I see on the website Waiwhero South is closed during business hrs Monday-Friday. Is this info still current ? Is the north side still open ? Looking to get a couple of rides in as well as the big one on up to the Rameka on Saturday. It looks like a good week of drying ahead :thumbsup: Can't wait :p
DogsBollocks

Postby Guy Trainor on Mon 31/Aug/09 4:17pm

Yep, Waiwhero Sth. closed daylight hours Mon-Fri. Open for night rides but we've had rainfall to make Auckland proud and the tracks will be wet as.
Waiwhero Nth. is good.
Kaiteriteri's good but stay off Glade Runner unless you want to replace your drive chain after the ride.

http://baymtb.blogspot.com/ has the latest on the Rameka extension.
Guy Trainor
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Night Riding | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts