Too Much Cola Zaps Muscle Power

Postby mfw on Wed 20/May/09 11:07am

BBC wrote:Excessive cola consumption can lead to anything from mild weakness to profound muscle paralysis, doctors are warning. This is because the drink can cause blood potassium to drop dangerously low, they report in the International Journal of Clinical Practice.

They tell of the curious case of an Australian ostrich farmer who needed emergency care for lung paralysis after drinking 4-10 litres of cola a day. He made a full recovery and was advised to curtail his cola drinking.

Another example included a pregnant woman who regularly consumed up to three litres a day for the last six years and complained of tiredness, appetite loss and persistent vomiting. A heart trace revealed she had an irregular heartbeat, most likely caused by her low blood potassium levels. Once she stopped drinking so much cola, she made a full and uneventful recovery...

Full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8056028.stm
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Too Much Cola Zaps Muscle Power

Postby Tama on Wed 20/May/09 11:12am

But it makes you attractive to the opposite sex while enhancing your enjoyment of summer? :eh:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 20/May/09 11:20am

That’s good to know. I was thinking about drinking ten litres of cola a day and this article has dissuaded me. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby DogsBollocks on Wed 20/May/09 11:24am

mfw wrote:
BBC wrote:Excessive cola consumption can lead to anything from mild weakness to profound muscle paralysis, doctors are warning. This is because the drink can cause blood potassium to drop dangerously low, they report in the International Journal of Clinical Practice.

They tell of the curious case of an Australian ostrich farmer who needed emergency care for lung paralysis after drinking 4-10 litres of cola a day. He made a full recovery and was advised to curtail his cola drinking.

Another example included a pregnant woman who regularly consumed up to three litres a day for the last six years and complained of tiredness, appetite loss and persistent vomiting. A heart trace revealed she had an irregular heartbeat, most likely caused by her low blood potassium levels. Once she stopped drinking so much cola, she made a full and uneventful recovery...

Full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8056028.stm

On a similar note, back in the mid-late 80's when I was playing Senior Rugby our club hired the services of a fitness trainer. He had us doing stupid things like towing sleds and parchutes,skipping and pushing weights etc to get fit. He was quite well known and worked with many national sporting sides and Olympic teams. His methods have since proven to be "not great" . He also had us drinking flat coke at half time :butbut: :butbut: This is in the days before Powerade etc and it made people sick. I for one got about 10 mins into the second half and started puking but he swore by it, reconed that all the major codes in the states were doing the same ?

Maybe that's why he wasn't in the country for long. :blink:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 20/May/09 11:26am

Tama wrote:But it makes you attractive to the opposite sex while enhancing your enjoyment of summer? :eh:

it "is" after all, "it"!

hang on, doesnt that make them lying in their advertising when they say it "adds life"? i guess they dont say that anymore, eh. :eh:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby crazychris on Wed 20/May/09 11:26am

Nothing to do with the vast amounts of sugar they were flooding their systems with aye. It would be all the side-effects of being a diabetic without the pesky disease.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Wed 20/May/09 11:28am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:That’s good to know. I was thinking about drinking ten litres of cola a day and this article has dissuaded me. :)

:lol:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 20/May/09 12:05pm

if it's that bad, why is it about the only thing that gets me to the end of ironmans and junk?
with 15km to go at IM, this little black duck is usually wasted beyond belief, and no amount of food or gel gets me going, yet a cup of warm flat coke and I'm a new man. :blink:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby RussS on Wed 20/May/09 12:43pm

A warm, flat coke can certainly be the pick-me-up that some need. Some people just do not process gels and the like into the energy needed - it is a physiological thing.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby ryda on Wed 20/May/09 12:49pm

Tama wrote:But it makes you attractive to the opposite sex while enhancing your enjoyment of summer? :eh:
spesh alcohol is added
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Willey_Coyote on Wed 20/May/09 1:18pm

what about my 1.5L per day, Coke Zero habit?

is that why I am not awesome on the bike perhaps?
Willey_Coyote
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Fergie on Wed 20/May/09 2:33pm

Shit. This explains a lot.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Wed 20/May/09 4:21pm

RussS wrote:A warm, flat coke can certainly be the pick-me-up that some need. Some people just do not process gels and the like into the energy needed - it is a physiological thing.

It's also the long-chain polymers... :huh:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby XCrazy on Wed 20/May/09 4:26pm

Oli wrote:
RussS wrote:A warm, flat coke can certainly be the pick-me-up that some need. Some people just do not process gels and the like into the energy needed - it is a physiological thing.

It's also the long-chain polymers... :huh:

:eh:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 20/May/09 5:37pm

crazychris wrote:Nothing to do with the vast amounts of sugar they were flooding their systems with aye. It would be all the side-effects of being a diabetic without the pesky disease.

Its one of the first step to becoming a type 2 diabetic! :crazy:

10l of Cola a day is just nuts. :eh:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Cycling | Health | Sifting - Latest Posts